TVs & Home Theaters forum

Visio new App. SKYPE on tv. BUT you have to buy ther camera

by Charlesd / December 31, 2011 9:53 AM PST

Yes Skype on your tv . but you have to buy Visios sound bar & webcam at $109.00 an they say its the only way to use Skype on ther TV so stay with my laptop

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Visio new App. SKYPE on tv. BUT you have to buy ther camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Visio new App. SKYPE on tv. BUT you have to buy ther camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cheaper than buying a laptop?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2011 11:41 AM PST

Can you explain why you would buy a TV for skype if you had a laptop?

Collapse -
cheaper than buying a laptop-
by Charlesd / January 1, 2012 12:04 AM PST

have laptop & Vizio App TV . was a new app on TV update , but only Vizio sound bar with web cam from Vizio will work ! so far . got a better Idea

Collapse -
I see no question here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2012 2:41 AM PST

We know that Skype on devices will mean that only one camera will have been coded to work with the device. This may be a problem for a consumer to understand why this is but as a designer and more for such things I understand it but how to convey that to average Joe is what eludes me.

That is, an average consumer may think that you should be able to use the cheaper web cams but their thoughts are about the usual Windows machines and the device (HDTV) is not running Windows so at the first step you see a lot to explain.

Maybe some web pages later someone will take the time to explain how things work.

Collapse -
thanks bob -
by Charlesd / January 1, 2012 9:06 AM PST

I have one of the better webcams and it would be nice to just plug it in have it work. mybe Vizio will tweek its codeing or give a passcode for webcam brandname. its bad when you have to by different things to do the same job. Charlie

Collapse -
That code costs a lot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2012 9:58 AM PST
In reply to: thanks bob -

The cost to add support for some model camera has to be recovered. Either by increasing to cost of the HDTV (not going to happens as sales fall due to a non-competitive price) or by loading the cost of the code into the one camera that the development team was given to make it all work.

So tweak is another word for the work needed to add code to support that camera. And since the folk that do this won't do such for free you see again "how things work."

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.