Spyware, Viruses, & Security

General discussion

Virus wiped out My Documents. Any way to get them back??

by zstar5000 / January 9, 2007 6:51 AM PST

Got a virus today which, upon starting my computer, opened up a DOS program on my XP desktop and deleted everything in My Documents: music, videos, pix, favorites for browers, everything. Ran McAfee, which came up with nothing, and Spyware Doctor which got rid of one "high priority" piece of spyware.

Is there a program that could help me get all this stuff back? thx

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus wiped out My Documents. Any way to get them back??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus wiped out My Documents. Any way to get them back??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What was the name of the spyware?
Spyware Doctor which got rid of one "high priority" piece of spyware.

You did not mention your Operating System - if you have XP - did you try system restore?
Collapse -
Trojan.Dumaru
by zstar5000 / January 9, 2007 7:22 AM PST

Trojan.Dumaru was the name of the spyware. I tried system restore with no luck earlier, but I'll do it again just to make sure.

Collapse -
Trojan.Dumaru
by Marianna Schmudlach / January 9, 2007 7:31 AM PST
In reply to: Trojan.Dumaru

Trojan.Dumaru opens a backdoor on the infected machine. It can log keystrokes and capture text from browser windows while visiting certain Internet banking sites. It will also steal local information including cached passwords, clipboard data and confidential information residing in the registry.
Type: Backdoor, Keylogger, TT_Sp
By: Smash and SARS
Also known as: Backdoor.Nibu [Symantec] Troj/Dumaru [Sophos] Backdoor.Dumador

http://www.pctools.com/mrc/infections/id/Trojan.Dumaru/

Does system restore work??

Collapse -
Just a thought.....
by Marianna Schmudlach / January 9, 2007 7:47 AM PST
In reply to: Trojan.Dumaru

Did you have a look here:

Windows XP: Documents and Settings/Owner/My Documents/

Collapse -
Restore didn't work
by zstar5000 / January 9, 2007 7:56 AM PST
In reply to: Just a thought.....

So restore didn't work. I looked up that trojan too, and it doesn't seem like that would have deleted everything, but who knows. So as of now I still don't really know what opened up that DOS window and took everything out. It's gotta be in there somewhere, but where and how to get to it is the question. Something else that was strange but probably just trivial is that it left all the folder, and only deleted the files in the folders.

Collapse -
Give this a try?
by Marianna Schmudlach / January 9, 2007 8:13 AM PST
In reply to: Restore didn't work
Collapse -
Another suggestion that may sound
by roddy32 / January 9, 2007 8:32 AM PST
In reply to: Restore didn't work

silly but you never know. Check and make sure they didn't get dumped into the recycle bin.

Collapse -
Nada
by zstar5000 / January 9, 2007 8:40 AM PST

Neither worked. And the first place I looked was the recycle bin =).

Collapse -
Try Knoppix
by ralphddc / January 11, 2007 9:55 PM PST
In reply to: Just a thought.....

At work when XP crashed, I tried a Linux based program called Knoppix. It allowed me to see every file on the hard drive without loading Windows. I copied all of the files I needed and saved them to an external hard drive. All of the documents were saved and usable.

Collapse -
(NT) System Restore doesn't restore files like documents, etc.
by Ryo Hazuki / January 17, 2007 1:20 AM PST
Collapse -
FIRST, you get rid of the virus/trojan then...
by Edward ODaniel / January 10, 2007 7:47 AM PST

having done that you are ready to make use of one of many File Recovery applications to undelete the deleted files. Be aware that the more you use the computer before trying to undelete the files the more apt you are to have problems because the files get overwritten.

Additionally, any File Recovery tool that you have to install may overwrite some of the files.

I will recommend Restoration 2514 available form many sources including SnapFiles:
http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/Restoration/restoration.html

You simply expand the self expanding file onto a floppy and run it from the floppy. It will want to save files to a different drive so it is handy to have a flash drive to save them to.

If you have a second drive to install to PCInspector is a pretty good file recovery tool:
http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

A google search for "File recovery" will turn up several more.

Collapse -
Search and Recover 4
by zstar5000 / January 10, 2007 10:00 PM PST

I'm using that, although it's running from the C drive. It seems to be working really well.

Collapse -
I lost a lot in the past, but came with a new solution
by DarCLew2 / January 11, 2007 11:59 AM PST
In reply to: Search and Recover 4

CD-R's, Zip 100 MB Drives. I put 3 ZIP Drives & All Wallpapers including 10 extras on one CD-R. All items are in the original setups like: WMP10.exe, WinZip10.exe, ZTECXP.exe, NERO.exe and passwods for everything. All my Programs. Documents on floppies, one is 100 pages long. I have 4 blank ZIP drives & 11 CD-R's. That is more than what I have inside the computer. Darrell L.

Collapse -
Get Mozy to back up files in the future.
by Trepid49 / January 12, 2007 3:32 AM PST

Something like this can always happen, so backing up your files is a good idea. Mozy is a free program and works well. Xdrive and Gmail drive are also good. I know this doesnt solve your problem now but it will in the future.

Collapse -
Streamload MediaMax is better and gives you more free space
by Ryo Hazuki / January 17, 2007 1:22 AM PST

25 GB for free: www.mediamax.com.

Collapse -
for next time...
by galootey / January 13, 2007 11:24 PM PST

Some time ago on CNET I got a tip on organizing files. Instead of creating documents under my user's premade My Documents folder, I created folders directly on the C drive. I then just created shortcuts to them and put them on my desktop. This avoids problems if your profile gets messed with, which is a apparently what your virus did. I also can manage these folders so each one is just the right size to back up onto a CD. If you are able to recover your files you may consider this option. Good luck!

Collapse -
I personally wouldn't do that...
by Ryo Hazuki / January 17, 2007 1:24 AM PST
In reply to: for next time...

... as it's not as handy as using My Documents and simply backup, but if one can live with it...

Collapse -
(NT) No.
by Ryo Hazuki / January 17, 2007 1:25 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.