Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Virus that changes fonts to symbols. Vista Home O/S

by Jlapinsky / September 16, 2011 12:35 PM PDT

I have a vista home o/s and recently have been attacked with some sort of virus that has changed all my fonts to symbols. It is difficult to even work with the computer because you cannot read anything. I have completed several system restores from the boot up and a few times it has fixed the issue. One one occasion I ran Malwarebytes and Spybot and it got several trojans and registry errors which I corrected. One of these such errors was a "task manager hijack" which I noticed completelty removed the option to open task manager when you hit ctrl alt delete. Now the system restore will no longer fix the issue and I am guessing the virus is deeper than I thought. What now?? Cry

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus that changes fonts to symbols. Vista Home O/S
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus that changes fonts to symbols. Vista Home O/S
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Maybe it needs to be said?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2011 5:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
Not sure what you are talking about....
by Jlapinsky / September 17, 2011 12:01 PM PDT

Ive corrected my machine and its errors and it is way more complicated than that. This was a nasty virus embedded deep in the registry. Doing what you posted on the link is next to IMPOSSIBLE when every single character is in wingdings, unless you play follow the leader with another machine or remember exactly where every single thing is. That being said, I will post the hijacked files and registry changes this virus makes in the next few days. Once it is taken out, all your fonts come back and everything is cool. The best way to start attacking this virus I found was to do a system restore as far back as you can, this will at least enable your pc to run the fonts where you can read. Then I ran SPYBOT Search and Destroy as well as SUPERAntiSpyware and it did a great job catching everything. This was a nasty one.

Collapse -
Are you sure it was a virus?
by Carol~ Forum moderator 2 / September 18, 2011 4:34 AM PDT

Are you sure a virus caused your fonts to change? I've found with this particular problem, user's have taken for granted (not always) a virus had to be the cause.

While Microsoft's article, "Windows uses the Wingdings or Webdings font as its default display font when you install updates with antivirus software" references those running an Windows XP-based system, last week I found it to be true with a Vista user.

Here you'll find a recent thread, where one (of a few user's) wrote:

"Yesterday I ran Windows Update on my Windows 7 Professional and applied KB2607712 and KB2510690. Upon reboot all system messages and menus appeared to have changed to a wingdings font or something similar. I ran the MS Boot stand-alone sweeper tool to check for malware and it came up clean. I then was able to run system restore (tricky when you can't read anything on the desktop) and was able to restore the system back to a usable state".

Some years back, a lot of McAfee user's were posting with the identical problem. The problem was due to an update.

I'm NOT implying your problem wasn't caused by a virus. Only that the possibility may exist, that it might have been caused by an update, a third party program, or the like.

It's my understanding from your last post, you seem to have resolved the issue. I'm taking for granted, you no longer need help.

If the above is unrelated, and the virus you uncovered has a name, it would be a great help to us, if we knew what it is. If not for now, but the future.

Collapse -
I seen this today...
by yousuchafool / November 21, 2012 5:45 AM PST

I've never seen this before and it freaked me out. First things first i would say; back up everything to external, flash drive whatever just to be safe....its good to have everything backed up anyway right.?
I was basically wanting to get back to where i could read fonts so the goal was to "restore to an earlier date" as stated above. They also stated it was a pain, which it was but i got lucky. But i found and easier way was to get to system restore using the command prompt. this was vista btw. So, go to start, command prompt and type:

rstrui.exe and press enter...bam..! restore back, reboot and good to go...I left and had customer run malware bytes but after reading these posts i'm thinking yeah it could've been an update as well...vista stinks:-(
I would rather see users running win2k that vista! Also, this occurred today, hope the thread helps and not sure why cnet wants to end it already.
<h5 class="oldPostHead">Old Thread Warning!</h5>
This thread is more than <span class="postAge"><font color="#ee0000">431</font> days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and replying to it will serve no purpose. However, if you feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so.

<div> <input class="acceptPostAge" type="checkbox" defaultchecked="false"></div>

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.