Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Virus that changes font to symbols?!

by deborahramos / November 14, 2004 6:00 AM PST

Please help! Running Windows XP Professional. Computer was working fine, but had not been restarted in months. Upon restart, all font except the 'Windows XP' logo is in symbols: squares, triangles, circles, question marks, arrows. Other than the font issue, Windows seems to work appropriately, internet connects fine, and appears in English. I've tried starting in Safe Mode, and tried Last Known Good Configuration. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus that changes font to symbols?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus that changes font to symbols?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Virus that changes font to symbols?!
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 14, 2004 6:22 AM PST

Is this your problem?

A critical update is available to remove unacceptable symbols from the Bookshelf Symbol 7 font

More click here

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 14, 2004 6:45 AM PST

Hi Deborah
If Marianna's link doesn't help you, we had a couple of other people with similiar problems in the last week or two, actually you posted on that thread last week. The first person never came back and said whether or not he fixed his problem but Basil found a link for the second poster and the link he found had an answer but it was pretty techincal. This is the link to the forum thread that had Basil's link in it. This link DID correct the second poster's problem. Please remember that this is a TOTAL guess on my part and do not do anything on your computer as far as adjustments unless you are comfortable with them.

http://homeintegrator.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=44215&messageID=528821

Collapse -
by deborahramos / November 14, 2004 7:31 AM PST

The link to DAL does explain a solution, but they were able to at least get SOME english to reappear with a system restore. I can't get anything. What now?

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 14, 2004 7:42 AM PST

I don't know Deborah, I'm not an expert but I remembered seeing that same problem last week so I hunted up the link. I would think it would have something to do with the appearance settings on the desktop but I wouldn't have a clue as to how to tell you set them. Did Marianna's link help you at all?

Collapse -
by deborahramos / November 14, 2004 7:46 AM PST

Unfortunately, no. I was able to get into my Fonts folder though, and it's totally empty. Any way to reload the fonts? I don't have the original disk anymore?

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 14, 2004 7:54 AM PST

This is out of my territory, hopefully someone else can help but in the meantime. Check this link out and click on "F" and scroll down to "fonts".

Collapse -
oooops, forgot the link.
by roddy32 / November 14, 2004 7:57 AM PST
Collapse -
by deborahramos / November 14, 2004 8:19 AM PST

Not helping unfortunately. Could I just download fonts from a free site and see if that works?

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 14, 2004 8:21 AM PST

Look at Brent's post Deborah, it should be right below this one.

Collapse -
by Brent Welch / November 14, 2004 7:58 AM PST
Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 14, 2004 8:12 AM PST

Thank you Brent I knew someone would rescue her. I was just searching Microsoft Knowledge base and not getting too far. LOL Glad to see you home and back on the computer.

Collapse -
by deborahramos / November 14, 2004 8:31 AM PST

Sorry, still a bit lost. Can I download any of the fonts that come up (is one better than another?), and how does that make everything appear in english again?

Collapse -
by Brent Welch / November 14, 2004 8:54 AM PST

You should be able to download any font that you like, and install it to your fonts folder, which you said was totally empty. Some of the Windows fonts are Arial,Courier,MS Sans Serif,Tahoma, and Times New Roman.

You might also be able to get things back to normal by downloading and installing a desktop theme. Some of these also include the necessary font.

HTH

Collapse -
by deborahramos / November 14, 2004 9:53 AM PST

OK, I got a font into the Fonts folder. When I double click on it it shows me the font, but how do I make windows use it? Everything is still in symbols.

Collapse -
by Brent Welch / November 14, 2004 10:08 AM PST

I'm not running XP, so I'm not sure of the exact details, but if you go to Display Properties > Appearance, you should be able to go down the list of Items (Desktop, Icon, Title Bar, etc.) and for each item that shows as using a font, substitute the name of the font that you downloaded.

Collapse -
by deborahramos / November 14, 2004 10:20 AM PST

Just tried that. Not working. The window names show the new font, but nothing inside the folder does.

Collapse -
by Brent Welch / November 14, 2004 11:10 AM PST
Collapse -
by Brent Welch / November 14, 2004 8:43 AM PST

Hi Roddy,

Not home yet. Still waiting for the doc to go over my test results. Given the nice weather here, I think he went golfing. Wink

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 14, 2004 8:47 AM PST

Oh Geeze, just keep chasing the nurses and ask them to give you an electric wheel chair, That's what I did during my last hospital stay 4 years ago. They took the electric wheel away when they got us racing in the halls though. LOL

Collapse -
Virus that changes font to symbols?! yea i have it to and i
by investtor / November 22, 2004 9:44 PM PST

Virus that changes font to symbols?! yea I have it to and I think the best way to fix the prob. is to reinstall windows, for the time being because there is no virus scanner that can find it and remove it yet (give it a month or two more) I?ve try pc-cillin, mcfaee (little luck there not much because it makes many copies of itself) and panda in addition I have ran pest patrol, ad aware, spybot and others. No luck. Still I have to try Norton

what I was doing when it happened to me was... hmm I knew I had some virus and I?ve been running mcafee 8.0 it found the virus in C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp but couldn't clean it. iam a big fan of pc-cillin so when i uninstalled mcafee so i could install pc-cillin all my probs. started

what it looks like it dose is deletes all the files in your C:\windows\font. just putting the files back doesn?t fix the prob. (waste of time) because this virus loads into your mem so with ever reboot it del's all the font files

TEMP FIX: I put my fonts back in c:\windows\font every time I restart windows.

I pulled my fonts off a different drive

I have only been working on this 1 day so when I fix it... I hope I remember to post the fix

Kevin

Collapse -
Re: Virus that changes font to symbols?! yea i have it to an
by deborahramos / November 23, 2004 1:03 AM PST

Hi. I still haven't fixed mine either. I can't find my Windows disk, so I can't reinstall XP. I've tried installing new fonts into the font folder, but the computer does not use them once they're in there!? If you find anything that works, please post it!!!

Collapse -
Re: Virus that changes font to symbols?! yea i have it to an
by investtor / November 23, 2004 5:34 AM PST

the best way for a temp fix is:

1. find a computer (that works) with win xp or the ver. that your running.

2. go to c:\windows\font (of the working computer)copy/burn all the files there to a cd about 14mb

3. take that cd with the *.fon file to the computer that dose not work right and copy them to that same dir (please note* with every reboot the files will be deleted and have to be replaced every time. unless you remove the VIRUS)

NOTE: step 3 you have to navagate used the icons only seeing how you dont have words.

Collapse -
What a nasty situation
by curtispalmer / December 19, 2004 10:56 AM PST

Thank you to ALL who have posted here and in the other thread about this situation. This happened to my system last night after downloading several different audio editing tools from download.com that required rebooting of my system... once I did it the DAMAGE was done. Read the thread that precedes this post and you have some idea what happened, but I want to clarify a few things.

XP boots up with Marlet fonts ONLY. These are symbols that are not legible, but boldness and length of words are consistent with standard fonts. The menus stay intact.

The way to navigate is to find another computer (luckily I had a laptop handy) and play follow-the-leader. Of course, this ALSO helps you address the way around the problem. First thing I did was copy the MS San Serif font (micross.ttf) onto a floppy from the laptop, then navigate on the infected machine to the Control Panel, Fonts feature. Choose the Add Fonts menu and install off of your A: drive. DO NOT LEAVE this directory while this window is open (otherwise start this whole thing over) as it will delete this font. Leave the window open (!!).

Then, go to display properties (right mouse-click on background, last menu option) and choose the 4th tab (appearance). Choose the "Advanced" button (if you can NOT "see" the button, TAB four (4) times and hit your Enter key). Since you've installed the MS San Serif font, you'll be able to read the options. For EVERY "item" that allows you to pick a font, choose any from the other pulldown. This will allow you to use (most of) the features in Windows.

Now, I do not know how to kill this virus (nor real sure where it came from), the way I rid myself (well, it's been 17 hours and a few reboots without it) was to use the System Restore and pick a restore point from 2 days ago (well before the offending activity, if you consider downloading shareware from a reputable service bad in some way). Needless to say, perhaps I'm crazy but I made a _new_ restore point WITH the virus just for posterity before restoring to the other restore point.

The last thing to do is to copy all of the font files from another computer (or download as described earlier in this thread).

It was 3 hours in the middle of the night of my life wasted because of some joker, but with help of this thread and a few others (not a word about this in Microsoft's knowledge base - go figure) it's behind me now. I hope my narrative above helps someone else!

Curtis V. Palmer
Birmingham, Alabama

Collapse -
Our problem solved
by Claudine / December 31, 2004 1:07 AM PST
In reply to: What a nasty situation

I'd like to say a big 'thank you' too to all those who contributed to this thread. It came in very handy when I spent this afternoon trying to rebuild my brother's computer! He too downloaded some sound engineering/editing software, so be warned.

We got lucky ? a system restore from a week before the problem occurred and the dodgy files were downloaded was enough to solve the problem. Otherwise, I think we would have been looking at a complete XP re-install.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glad it helped you Claudine, you're welcome :D
by roddy32 / December 31, 2004 1:34 AM PST
In reply to: Our problem solved
Collapse -
I Think a resolve the problem
by markmustaine / December 28, 2009 2:55 PM PST
In reply to: What a nasty situation

Hi, my name is Marco and I'm writing from Mexico, please forgive my writing errors.

The problem its that the regkey FONTS its deleted or isn't in the registry, so to solve this problem you must to create it again, to do this go to other PC (XP, also work with Vista) and export the regkey FONTS from this location:

HKEY/LOCALMACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWSNT/FONTS

Right clic to this key (have a folder icon,in the left area) and clic in "export", saved with any name you want and use a usb drive (or any kind of drive).

In the the PC with the problem, execute the regkey (previously saved) from the drive and accept, with this the Fonts will not dissapear again Grin .

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.