Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Virus Remover 2008

by jimp2226 / August 11, 2008 1:07 AM PDT

How can I clean my computer of the above Virus/Trojan. I have tried various things including Kaspersky, Spy Hunter, AVG, A2, XoftSpySe etc and nothing will move it. I am running Win XP, with IE 7. Any help greatly appreciated. This is driving me crazy.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus Remover 2008
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus Remover 2008
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I would give the following a try.......
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 11, 2008 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Virus Remover 2008

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or alternate download link

* Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
* Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
* When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
* When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
* - Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
* - Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
* Then click Finish.
* MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
* If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.

* On the Scanner tab:
* - Make sure the "Perform Quick Acan" option is selected.
* - Then click on the Scan button.
* The next screen will ask you to select the drives to scan. Leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
* The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
* When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
* Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
* Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
* The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

* -- Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

**If you encounter this message:"c:\program files\malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll Unable to register the dll/ocx: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x5" Click on ignore mbamext.dll

Collapse -
by sptcpa / August 11, 2008 10:03 AM PDT

MBAM was superb, ran without a glitch.
MBAM succeeded in eliminating ?troj.dloadr.ge?, where One Care, Trend Micro, and AVG all failed.

Collapse -
(NT) SUPER - Great Job !
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 11, 2008 11:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
Link doesn't work
by barrowfordred / August 26, 2008 4:34 AM PDT

I've tried both links and just get a blank page. Non of the links from Google to Malwarebytes will work for me.

Collapse -
by andrew.adams33 / August 26, 2008 8:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Link doesn't work

Sorry you are having trouble getting access to the malwarebytes website.

If you have used WWW.malwarebytes.org, it will have given you a list of applications. If you can not access it, only way I can think of getting to it, is to put malwarebytes into search engine. That may do it, otherwise,there may be a problem with your search engine, you may need to alter which search provider you use. This may or may not help. other members will provide other help as well. Hope you sort it,malwarebytes is a good piece of software, I have it on my system, free version.

Collapse -
Thank You!
by BDHoops / September 2, 2008 1:41 AM PDT

MBAM worked great! That's one nasty virus that seems to be gone from my computer. Thanks again for your helpful steps!

Collapse -
Thanks to Marianna
by cleverasian / October 1, 2008 11:57 PM PDT

Thanks for the step by step - nice to have competent replies!
It all worked and the client is very happy.

Collapse -
by hoefpoef / October 3, 2008 5:54 AM PDT

It worked awesome thanks
Sharing the power of knowledge let s keep it safe together

cheers you make me happy
Robin Tchuuusss

Collapse -
by lshatkus / October 12, 2008 4:18 PM PDT

This solution worked perfectly. Not sure how I got this annoying thing, but thankfully it's gone now. Thank you VERY much!

Collapse -
by smsbillthomas / October 13, 2008 1:34 AM PDT

Thanks so much for the link. After a quick download, it only took four and a half minutes to wipe out the virus remover 2008 trojan.

Collapse -
Spyware Remover
by jessie_girl / November 16, 2008 11:33 PM PST

Thank you. This has been great help!

Collapse -
by nicky1972 / November 30, 2008 11:21 AM PST

Thanks for this easy solution-it works quickly.

Collapse -
by Imanuel4u / February 15, 2009 9:29 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

I was also facing a similar kind of problem it helped me too.

Collapse -
Thanks from Shubham
by Shubham2008 / December 25, 2008 4:36 PM PST

Mbam works great, i would recommend everyone to try it.Thank you Marianna Schmudlach

Collapse -
by aggie3e9 / December 30, 2008 5:13 AM PST

Are you kidding me! I wish everything dealing with computers was as easy as this program was. I tried everything I could think, had someone connect to my computer remotely (someone I really trust and is good at this stuff), and couldn't get this stupid malware crap off my computer. I downloaded this program, let it update and run, and 5 minutes later it found all kinds of stuff that it removed. My computer works as it did before. I won't delete this program off my computer anytime soon!

Collapse -
hi can anyoen out there help me???
by eajpowderfinger / February 13, 2009 12:09 PM PST
In reply to: Wow

I have the exact same problem as the person above, only I have windows 98!! I have tried honestly EVERYTHING, but there are only a few programs which support my system, and all iv'e tried didn't detect any of the viruses!!! what should I do?? is there a good program out there that can delete these files for me?? please help this is driving me crazy!

Collapse -
Re: Help
by Carol~ Forum moderator / February 13, 2009 12:49 PM PST
Collapse -
by billbrauk / January 14, 2009 9:22 AM PST

Thank you so much, it got rid of that horrible virus.

Collapse -
thanx for the info
by chore22 / January 18, 2009 6:48 AM PST

did a search for that nasty virus remover 2008, found your fix and downloaded the scanner. Worked quickly and well. Thank you so much for your info.

Collapse -
by shivscape / August 11, 2008 4:46 AM PDT

consider getting the free software ad aware or use trend micro's housecall to remove it without the need for software

Collapse -
MBAM has a free
by Tarq57 / August 11, 2008 3:26 PM PDT
In reply to: also

version, (the download that is linked above,) one that will do the job in this situation very nicely, from many accounts.
It has the same sort of function as AdAware, but is streets ahead in performance.
Why anybody would want that bloated also-ran cookie finder on their PC is beyond me, yet it's still popular. Past-popularity inertia, methinks. Lavasoft lost its way with 2008. (But it sure looks nice. And it can find cookies.Which are easy to delete, anyway.)
Stick with MBAM, or Superantispyware. They're both excellent.
TrendMicro Housecall....false positives, incomplete removal sometimes, no further comment.

Collapse -
by i_made_this / August 11, 2008 5:08 AM PDT

The a/v comps are not the ultimate analysis, but you may find them useful as a starting place of inquiry.

You have mentioned three good quality anti-virus programs. Of the three - in fact, out of all dozen+ tested quarterly - only Avira has received consistent, top marks over the past half decade.

We used to use AVG for many years quite happily until the new verion 8.0 which is full of bloatware and suddenly created its own toolbar and many clashes with other equally important programs we use, such as SUPERAntiSpywa4re and SpywareBlaster.

The AVG people gave us lots of lip service and were outright rude to paying customers, very arrogant - a new face for AVG since Intel bought about 40% of AVG's common stock?

So we went to Avira which is a joy to use. Small footprint. Low RAM usage. Very polite to work co-opertaively with our other programs, so we are with Avira now.
Collapse -
AVG is completely over rated, and will bring your computer
by moonthe_sun / August 11, 2008 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Avira

almost to a stop, heavy on resources is an understatement.
I completely agree with your comment on AVG. I had the suite 7.5, and several months before the subscription ran out I was upgraded to 8.0. It took all of a day to go back to 7.5 but even then I had been unhappy with AVG. Their customer service is soooo slow, not to mention you're waiting for a reply (at some point in the distant future, not kidding) it is usually a half baked 'form' reply. Never again, AVG. You are way over rated.
And BTW when the subscription ran out (thank God) several weeks ago I downloaded Avira free and am completely happy with it. I also have a ram monitor in my tray, since losing AVG I have gained an average of 150 MB at all times.

Collapse -
Virus remover 2008
by andrew.adams33 / August 11, 2008 8:12 PM PDT

I had the same problem a few weeks ago,how it came about i do not know, my Avast anti-virus did not detect the attack until it was to late,by which time more infections got into computer,Virtumonde and others,my anti-virus could not cope,spybot failed. I almost turned grey with worry on how i could clean this. In the end it deleted my C:/ drive letter. I tried a back up,but that failed as well. In the end i was forced to reinstall everything. And to make sure i was clear of threats,i did an hijack this scan and posted it to malware removal forum. I got some excellent help,and i trust them to get me back to normal. Reply i got, gave me some tools, that are specific to my problem. Fingers crossed it will not happen again. I have installed anti-malware software from malwarebytes and keep it upto date,i have spybot search and destroy and avast anti-virus software,including host files protection. I use windows XP SP3,Ie7,at time i was using ashampoo firewall,never again,i now have Zone alarm.
If you need help and can access internet safely, then give the malware removal forum a try as well,as posting on this forum.

Collapse -
by ViroCMN / August 12, 2008 2:08 AM PDT

LOL, That was one of my pains 2. I tried the mentioned solution and it failed however avg succeeded but only after I went after it in regedit after shutting it down in the processes tab. U'll find the rh1n777g something like that, a huge string also a fh177hg something and the 2008 process. Shut em down, you'll find em in system32 folder. Run msconfig to disable the start or further activity of these programs. Uninstall the 2008...

Collapse -
Can't access sites
by JoeA1010 / November 17, 2008 11:18 AM PST

I appear to have this virus and it won't let me access any of the sites that everyone has mentioned that might fix it. Anytime I do a search the virus takes over and anytime I type in one of the sites everyone mentions, I get an error page.

Any suggestions on what I can do? Do they impose the death penalty on the people responsible for these things? I wish they would.

Collapse -
Download The Removal Tools AT....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 17, 2008 12:53 PM PST
In reply to: Can't access sites

...a friend or family member's computer, then copy them to a CD and transfer them to the problem computer.

The problem you're seeing is common. You need to be creative to install the removal programs on your computer and get them to run.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
windows 98??
by eajpowderfinger / February 13, 2009 12:14 PM PST

hello all I have this virus and also windows 98...yikes! what should I do?? noen of the programs listed well, basically anywhere, support my system and the ones that do do not detect the virus. Anyone have any ideas?? Please help these pop-ups are driving me nuts!!

Collapse -
Have you tried SUPERAntiSpyware?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / February 13, 2009 12:45 PM PST
In reply to: windows 98??

If you're using Win98, you could try scanning with SUPERAntiSpyware in Safe Mode.

SUPERAntiSpyware FREE Editon for Home Users:

? Load SUPERAntiSpyware and click the Check for Updates button.
? Once the update has finished, exit SUPERAntiSpyware. Please do NOT run a scan yet!
? Open SUPERAntiSpyware and click the Scan your Computer button.
? On the right, tick Perform Complete Scan and then click Next below.
? SUPERAntiSpyware will scan your computer and when it?s finished it will list all the infections it has found.
? Make sure that they all have a check next to them, and then click Next.
? Click Finish and you will be taken back to the main interface.
? If asked to reboot please do so, in order to delete any necessary files.

IMPORTANT: Do NOT open any other windows or programs while SUPERAntiSpyware is scanning

If you have any problems installing it, please post back and you'll get the further help you need.

Best of luck..

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.