Desktops forum

virus removal from hard drive

by peachfuzz0086 / June 21, 2012 9:35 AM PDT

Hi, My computer has been infected with a virus for awhile now and it's affecting overall performance. I'm throwing to much money into anti virus programs that aren't doing the job. I need to to scrub the hard drive and start over fresh. Can you recommend a product that can be effective and information on operating system installation? Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: virus removal from hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: virus removal from hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Computer brand and OS
by mopscare42 / June 24, 2012 12:58 AM PDT

Most computers either come with a set of disks to recover your computer to out of box condition or has a feature to make a set of recovery disks to correct problems just like yours.
They also have a D partition on the hard drive that has a recovery program.
There are several free programs such as Rkill, Malwarebytes, Superantivirus and others that don't cost anything except the price of a blank CD and the time to run them.
There are free antivirus programs you can download and run, just Google "Free Antivirus programs" and choose one.
Some ISPs will give you free antivirus programs just for subscribing to their service. In my case I am with Comcast and they supply Norton 360v5 at no charge.

All Answers

Collapse -
Since it still runs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2012 1:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
Just for your FYI
by Willy / June 25, 2012 1:41 AM PDT

No matter what recovery operation that is used won't effect the data that's stored on your saved media *IF* they contain the virus and you return the virus again back to a just recovered PC. In other words, once you're certain the PC is clean, then run the AV pgm. against any offloaded stored media to scan and cleanse them as well.

Here's what I do when all else fails and get the go ahead to do a total wipe out or cleaning. Using DBAN or KILLDISK, totally wipe clean the HD. Once done, using the recovery discs to return the PC back to day 1 -OR- the day those back-ups were created. Do a full OS reload, any drivers and then OS updates from service. Install or run the AV pgm. after its own update to check and verify the PC. Finish the PC recovery by installing at that time any pgms. not reloaded or user supplied. if you have data, return it to its proper directories. If all this is from ext. HD or flash drives these have already been AV scanned, otherwise you may introduce the virus back again. Don't take anything for granted, scan to check.

Lesser infections may not need a total rebuild as it were but the "time and effort" usually become just as long or intensive. Sometimes, you're reward for shortcuts is finding out you really didn't remove the virus. However, if the infection is known and following any online posted help many times allows an user to continue in good health. Afterwards, be careful of how you possibility got infected in the 1st place, maybe some email, loaned disc, borrowed ext. media or P2P access like Torrent, etc..

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.