Windows 7 forum

Question

VIRUS?? Reads, "FBI-Computer Is Locked"...

by kimmyhead_oicu812 / July 28, 2012 9:58 AM PDT

Hello,

I think I've got a virus on my laptop..The vitals are: Acer Laptop/Mdl # KAWG0, OS is Windows 7 Home Premium/Manuf. Date: 09/11.
I was playing an online poker game, when a blue screen appeared and then a white screen immediately after, saying "FBI" and said I was "locked out" and in a nutshell, if I "paid a $200 Pay Release Fee, made payable to "Green Dot MoneyPak , my computer would be unlocked. It stated that it was locked because of illegal downloaded material located on my computer and that by doing so, were reproduced, therefore involving a criminal offense.
Normally when a suspicious window of some sort appears, I would right click on my start bar and go to the task mgr, to end the program first. In this case, this message filled the entire screen and I had no way of doing so..it appeared very suddenly and took over, so to speak?
I've heard of this virus running rampad and I do have Microsoft Security Essentials installed on my laptop, but as I stated, I was left with no options, at least that I could see. Now when I boot up, a blue screen appears, then the white screen with the same FBI message. I would sure appreciate any suggestions anyone could offer to get this off my laptop!

Thanks in advance!

Kim Ronke

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VIRUS?? Reads, "FBI-Computer Is Locked"...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VIRUS?? Reads, "FBI-Computer Is Locked"...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Wondering what game site you were on?
by Mysteryunknown / December 4, 2012 9:21 AM PST

I was wondering what game site you were playing on? Also are you using Wifi? Not sure if the game site issue is allowed in public forum so ok to send me info via PM. I need no personally identifiable data about you, just have a lot of people having the oddest issues, and may be related to game sites that require pop-up blockers disabled and other similar lowering of security on systems to play.
Thanks,
Mystery

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: virus
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 29, 2012 7:23 PM PDT

The two things you can do:
1. See if a recent antivirus cd will remove it. http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list/ lists trusted ones.
2. Reinstall Windows from the DVD or the recovery media.

Are you sure your browser (if that's where you run the online poker game in) and your OS are fully patched with the latest security updates? An extra security I would recommend is to go to sites like that from Linux, not from Windows. You can either install it in a dual-boot configuration on your hard disk, or on some USB-stick you have permanently inserted in your PC. Then it's a one minute operation to boot into it.

Kees

Collapse -
SYSTEM RESTORE
by SLOTOSERLOU / November 8, 2012 11:14 PM PST
In reply to: Re: virus

JUST GO INTO SAFE MODE AND DO A SYSTEM RESTORE

Collapse -
Only 1 Prob with System Restore
by Mrjoh12 / November 25, 2012 12:52 AM PST
In reply to: SYSTEM RESTORE

you will lose some files you created after the last restore point was created. Also some of files could be program Files which would have to be downloaded and installed again.

A No brainer for me anyway.

Collapse -
Be clear about this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2012 1:03 AM PST

System Restore (the one from Microsoft) does not affect USER FILES. There is some confusion about that and it's good to be clear what SR does.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
You are infected
by tonyron227 / November 9, 2012 10:33 PM PST

I have cleaned several machines with this condition. I treat it as any other virus infected system. Boot into safe mode and run Superantispyware portable alongside the latest version of Malwarebytes. After cleaning, reboot your system and then scan with your regular antivirus software.

Collapse -
Answer
The FBI, $200 and online poker
by uhoh_num2 / December 1, 2012 9:14 PM PST

Kim,

Follow the other suggestions to clean your sys. As for the future, don't go back to that website. If ya gotta', after you clean it out update all/any AV progs you got and Enable Real Time Protection. Disable ALL popups, exclude the sites you want to go to. Me? I wouldn't go back to that site, there are others. Oh....just had a thought, your sys has been compromised by software from that site, most likely put into an open port on your sys. Put a router(and don't forget the update av advice with real time) between your sys and your internet connection. I.E. get a router plug your internet connection into it (the WAN port) then run a cable from one of the front router ports into your nic...a hardware firewall is better than a software one.

uhoh_num2

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.