Spyware, Viruses, & Security

General discussion

Virus Protection and Notebooks

by Walt H / December 25, 2005 6:48 AM PST

Just got a new Toshiba Notebook PC. It came with a standard McAfee Security Center. It's a free trial version. Once this expires, is there a version of McAfee Virus Scan made especially for wireless connections and would it be necessary to get a "wireless" version?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus Protection and Notebooks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus Protection and Notebooks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Versions of McAfee...
by John.Wilkinson / December 25, 2005 7:12 AM PST

McAfee does not have a specialized version of antivirus or firewall software designed for wireless setups, but they do suggest McAfee Wireless Home Networking Security, which provides additional security to a wireless home network that the standard AV and firewall do not provide. It's up to you whether or not you choose to purchase the additional software, but you'll need antivirus software and a firewall as a minimum.

If you like McAfee you can purchase a 1-year subscription, or you could go with one of McAfee's competitors, such as Avast, AVG, eTrust, Norton, ZoneLabs, etc. Each one has a free trial available from their respective websites so you can choose which one you like best. (Just uninstall the one before installing the other.) It's also good to note that Avast antivirus, AVG antivirus, and ZoneAlarm firewall, each have free versions of their software. Some of the features are disabled, but the basic protection is still there.

Finally, you'll want to install a couple of antiadware and antispyware programs to complete your security setup. You can click here for the full list, with AdAware, SpyBot S&D, and Microsoft Antispyware (beta) being the most recommended free applications that will get the job done.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Versions of Mcafee
by Walt H / December 25, 2005 7:40 AM PST
In reply to: Versions of McAfee...

I would like to get just the McAfee VirusScan (possibly the wireless version) ONLY. I don't really care for the Security Center i.e. firewall etc. I use ZoneAlarm Pro for my firewall. I have been a ''die hard'' McAfee VirusScan ONLY (not Security Center) user since 1997 and have had no problems with it at all.

Collapse -
Walt, A Suggestion Or Two About McAfee's Wireless Security..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 26, 2005 3:50 AM PST
In reply to: Versions of Mcafee

First, the special McAfee Wireless Home Network Security Suite DOES NOT support many of the most recent firmware versions for many common routers and I would NOT recommend it at this time.. On the McAfee forums, many users are having problems with it and as such, I think twice before installing it.

Second, there is NO "wireless only" version of Virus Scan..Virus Scan 10, the most recent version, is indeed supported on your new computer, but I'm not sure that I would install it at this time..Here's why..

Much like you, I prefer sticking to just their Virus Scan program alone. Every new computer I set up, I uninstall the Security Center program. It's not necessary. Likewise, depending on the previous versions of Virus Scan, you may actually decide to keep that older one..Currently, I take care of a lot of computers with corporate versions of Virus Scan installed and they are a great tool. (If you happen to have the option to install the newest "corporate" Virus Scan 8.0i Enterprise, do so.) Since I'm not really happy with the most recent "online" Virus Scan versions (Versions 8, 9, and 10) because they don't log scans and they allow very few options for excluding files, etc, I give advice for users of Virus Scan 7 retail to STAY with that version..Although the automatic update ability is no longer available because the program as a whole is not supported, the virus definitions are still available for download and will continue to be for a long time.

My personal Windows XP HOME SP2 is still using Virus Scan 7.03 and I like it. All our office machines use the corporate versions.

My point..if you've got a version of Virus Scan that you like and the license is good for the new computer, install it..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks Grif
by Walt H / December 26, 2005 9:29 AM PST

My new notebook computer came with VirusScan version 10 so that's why I'm running that version. I too was running a desktop with VirusScan 7.03 and was very pleased with it.

Thanks for your input. Have you any idea about ZoneAlarm Pro and notebooks?

Collapse -
Walt, Just My Opinion..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 26, 2005 12:17 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks Grif

...If Virus Scan 10 is working well on your current computer, great..

In regards to ZoneAlarm, the PRO version of ZA has items that I don't really need..I use the newest FREE version of ZA on my non-commercial XP computers and prefer it over the PRO version.

The PRO version has antispyware tools that I find unnecessary..(Other free tools I use seem to do a better job. Spybot, Ad-Aware, MS Antispyware, and Ewido work find for me.) The PRO version runs automatic updates that I choose to turn off anyway. Plus the e-mail security and wireless security additions are already covered in McAfee's virus scan and the free version of ZA.

In my opinion, the free version of ZA uses less memory/resources on the computer and seems to have fewer problems.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.