Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Virus preventing Hotmail attachments from opening

by Max919 / February 17, 2005 10:50 PM PST

Since last week, I have been unable to open Excel and Word attachments in Hotmail. When I try to download a file, a message comes up saying that a virus exists and therefore you cannot open this file. I ran McAfee, and it did not not detect any viruses. Could someone help me understand what may be going on, and how I fix this problem? Also, the problem seems to be intermittent - there is the odd time when the file will open, but most of the time the same file will not open.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus preventing Hotmail attachments from opening
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus preventing Hotmail attachments from opening
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Max
by roddy32 / February 17, 2005 10:56 PM PST

If the "message comes up saying that a virus exists and therefore you cannot open this file." is coming from McAfee then the attachment probably HAS a virus in it which would mean that McAfee is doing it's job.

Collapse -
Hotmail virus
by Max919 / February 17, 2005 11:06 PM PST
In reply to: Hi Max

Thanks Roddy. The virus is actually detected by Trend Micro when you attempting to download the file. The exact message is "Unknown Virusscanner fialure. Virus found on fileXXXX. There is no cure available for the virus on this file. It is not possible to download files from Hotmail that contain irremovable virus." It appears that the virus is in the file I am trying to download. What I don't understand is why the file will open the odd time and not at other times. Could the problem be in Hotmail itself?

Collapse -
It could be Max, I'm
by roddy32 / February 17, 2005 11:32 PM PST
In reply to: Hotmail virus

not especially fond of Hotmail myself but that is another story. LOL. I also very seldom open attachments from anybody myself because of the risk nowadays unless I am absolutely positive that I know what it is. Anyway, you mentioned both McAfee and TrendMicro. Do you have BOTH on your computer? Try doing an online virus scan at all of these places. These will give you more opinions as to whether or not you actually have a virus on your computer. I do not think you do but it would be a good idea to do these.

On the first one, make sure you checkmark the box that says "autoclean"

Housecall (using IE with Active-X)
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Housecall (all browsers using java)
http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/products/housecall_launch.php

PandaActivescan
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

Collapse -
Hotmail uses TrendMicro..
by Lit'l Sasquatch / February 18, 2005 12:22 AM PST
In reply to: It could be Max, I'm

to scan attachments. I believe that is what Max was refering to in mentioning it.

Anyway, others have reported problems with hotmail for the past week, including access to email account, and sending email. I've been getting the error message quite frequently that "we are experiencing greater than normal traffic. Please try again later."

Time to abandon Hotmail, IMO.

Collapse -
Hotmail and Trend Micro
by hideki / March 3, 2005 5:35 AM PST

I have had the same problem for several days. Almost all email attachments from my regular contacts are, according to the virus scanner, infected. This is obviously not true. Its particualrly bad in the evenings UK time when the US is open. In the morningsUK time its not a problem. I assune tius becuase the system is grossly overloaded - as we kno wit is from the - Server too busy - messages, but its eems to be overwhemong the Trend Micro software tto. Whne will Microsoft sort it? I guess it could be a case of Gmail here I come!

Collapse -
Unable to open hotmail attachments
by hpy / February 26, 2005 6:18 AM PST

Me too!
Since last week I have been unable to open hotmail attachments....have run Norton's antiv and Trend home service but no virus found on my computer...What is going on with hotmail? Does anyone know?

Collapse -
I guess.....
by Ken Deyell / February 26, 2005 6:52 AM PST

there is a number of us with the exaxt same experiences.This has only occurred for me the last couple of days,but the most frustrating one is when you try to send a reply and you get the white page saying "this page cannot be displayed", bla bla.Sounds like it is a test of our patients.

Collapse -
Hotmail outage peeves some e-mail users
by Lit'l Sasquatch / February 26, 2005 6:57 AM PST
In reply to: I guess.....
Collapse -
O.K., But is there a solution?
by kandrew / March 14, 2005 9:06 PM PST

I've seen a lot of hypothesizing about the nature or possible causes of the problem here, but as nearly as I can tell no REAL root cause has been identified. Does that mean that nobody really knows a solution (aside from changing services)?

Collapse -
if you read this thread CAREFULLY
by dawillie / March 14, 2005 10:38 PM PST

I believe it establishes with reasonable certainty, that the problem is NOT virus related but rather points to the Microsoft product.

Given that this forum purports to assist people with security related issues, it follows that a Microsoft performance related issue is outside it's purview.

trusting this clarifies....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.