Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Virus or not?!! : SpyHunter v 2.7

by sillouettes / October 19, 2006 2:07 PM PDT

Help! Recently, a very irritating "virus" was installed on my system. It was that VirusBlocker thing or whatever. I tried to find some decent anti spyware software to combat and get rid of this nuissance, but a friend told me, "DON'T DOWNLOAD SPYHUNTER!! IT'S A VIRUS!! DELETE IT NOW!" So, what do I do?! I checked CNet and apparently CNet doesn't think it's a virus. I need help! Is SpyHunter a virus or not?! It seems to have gotten rid of my initial virus problem.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus or not?!! : SpyHunter v 2.7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus or not?!! : SpyHunter v 2.7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SpyHunter v 2.7
by Marianna Schmudlach / October 19, 2006 3:20 PM PDT

What I could find is:

De-Listed Applications:

De-listed apps from 2004 include: SpywareNuker/pcOrion, eAcceleration Stop Sign, Enigma SpyHunter, ZeroSpyware, SpyWare Killer, NoAdware, XoftSpy

As I can't find anything else, it should be "safe".

Collapse -
by Showstie / December 14, 2008 4:47 AM PST

It is far from a virus its main purpose is as a registry cleaner and it comes in very handy when cleaning vundo. I would recomend retaining it on the system in a archived or ziped format to keep it from running in the background. Because this is a scanning tool it wants to run in the background and will slow your computer down. just use it when you need it and then uninstall it when you dont. The program your friend is thinking of is spybot this program is not a virus but just a very tight mailware engine. this is a grat tool in its trial version because you get the full process trees for all the things it identifies but it likes to create havoc with other programs so I would not recomend it for full version use, after use uninstall then kill its teatimer.exe.. The best thing you can do is read up on these programs. I would recomend dropping the 20 some $'s and getting spywear doctor for a year and backing up or creating restore points before any instilations and just being safe about it. wikipedia has some great resources to start with just type in mailware. Then move on to using hijackthis at startup post one of your logs and get feed back, anything you dont understand just type in the extension like .exe on google and you will be able to read about it. If you keep your firewall in good working order, scan files and downloads before you install, you shouldn't have problems anyway. With great reward comes great risk, there is no safe way to get things for free except to be smarter than the other guy....

Collapse -
BUT www.spywarewarrior.com also states:
by Darrell / December 14, 2008 9:03 AM PST
In reply to: not

They had be de-listed BUT it is not endorsing them.
There is a large list on www.Stop-Sign.com here and the man who has the address of David Nason has http://www.stopsign.com, eAccelrator is also listed by him as http://www.eacceleration.com. Once the had a bad reputation and I do not trust either one. There aremany other legitimate sites that have never been listed on http://www.spywarewarrior.com.
It is listed at the bottom of his site. Read the bottom line and he lists sites the have never been listed as ant-spyware that are are better than all three of of those sites. Darrell

Collapse -
by Showstie / December 14, 2008 12:25 PM PST

Spybot search and destroy is one of the sites that I listed and spyware doctor is the best in the west so far. The forum is nice and the page is simplpe and very fast(searchability is key). But as for all of the downloads of spywear programs it is a matter of taste. I for one still use my dos prompt and use ultra edit so I am alittle more at home with findstr, edit, ect. but I still think that if you dont undestand the problem, process, or solution, You are already dead in the water. 3 simple rules
1.have somthing good always running in the background that runs your firewall, and alerts you to registry changes and finds harmful programs as well as creates restore points after clean full scans.
(spyware doctor for me as well as norton 360)
2.have some other programs archived to help you with any of the weakpoints that the main programs has like a startup scanning program that creates a list of all processes and active programs.(startup scanner is hijack this for me)(my archived programs spybot search and destroy, panda, vundofix, spyhunter)
3.tweak the settings for the way you work(make sure all of your firewalls are on the same page)and you compesate for the areas that you are weakest, downloading, filesharing, email, questionable viewing or bad sites, online gaming ect.

Hopefully this answers your question and if it dosent this will.

spybot is not a virus because you have to run it to let it take control so it would fall under the mailware catagory and even then if you know what you are doing it is useful so I guess it all boils down to paying attention to what you are doing...

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.