Virus on macbook

by jacksonbird03 / May 2, 2013 3:27 PM PDT

Hello members....
Is mac book is affedted by virus...
should virus harm the mac book ????

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus on macbook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus on macbook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Never say never, but.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / May 2, 2013 9:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Virus on macbook

....I have yet to hear of a credible report of a virus on the Mac. You may notice that Norton and McAfee are not marketing anti-virus programs for the Mac. Simply put, don't worry about it.

Collapse -
Answer
While agreeing with the previous poster,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 2, 2013 9:44 PM PDT

I have to ask why you think your Mac has a virus.

P

Collapse -
Answer
Macs can get a Virus. Fact.
by Makio9 / May 2, 2013 9:50 PM PDT

A Mac can get a virus just like any other operating system such as windows. The reason people think they cannot get virus is because virus are a lot less common on the Mac. Why are they less common? Because Mac own a lot less of the market share, so the people that create viruses generally focus on making them for Windows. As, and or, if the Mac becomes more popular in terms of sales, you can expect the Mac viruses to grow also. (source kindredcone.com)

Collapse -
being slightly less subtle than Bob,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 3, 2013 9:48 AM PDT

please share the name of any virus that you know of that is effective agains OS X.

Remember that Trojans and other malware are NOT viruses.

P

Collapse -
Ouch, my toes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2013 11:28 AM PDT
Laugh
Collapse -
Answer
Today I see folk have expanded what a virus is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2013 10:09 PM PDT

Since we can install a trojan or malware onto almost any thing, nothing seems immune. But look at your typical user and they want to change the definition of a computer virus. So far I can't find this virus but do know about the trojan and malware that we can install.

Before I write no, are you among those that call malware a virus?
bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.