Spyware, Viruses, & Security

General discussion

VIRUS HELP

by twim_boys / March 7, 2013 4:08 AM PST

Hello,

I have and HP Laptop and just recently encountered virus messages that prevent from use of the computer! Is there any step by step process to remove?

Thank You!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VIRUS HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VIRUS HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sadly there is only 1 known fail safe step by step.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 7, 2013 4:18 AM PST
In reply to: VIRUS HELP
Collapse -
How can I find out exactly what type of virus it is?
by twim_boys / March 7, 2013 4:36 AM PST

I am actually on the operating system and replying from here as we speak. It was a hassle to get to this point. Right now, the message is not appearing but I'm certain it stated something about a Disk Virus. I could be wrong, just waiting for the pop up to get a better description.

Collapse -
"Windows Fix Disk Virus"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 7, 2013 4:42 AM PST
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407112/windows-fix-disk-virus/ is an example of that one.

What's sad is they claim they solved it but did not share how.

Again, and I hope you understand, without the name you need to get to that forum and follow their directions. There is, as it stands today only 1 step by step when you don't know what it is. And if you read the Zero Access discussion, they decided that a reload was the answer rather than buy the tool needed.
Bob
Collapse -
Thank You!!
by twim_boys / March 7, 2013 4:49 AM PST

Thank you Bob!! I'll sign up to the forum and repost to follow the instructions!

Collapse -
Does this look similar?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / March 7, 2013 4:55 AM PST

Have a look at the below removal guide to see if it looks similar. If not, I would suggest following the removal instructions anyway. That's if you're able to. You haven't provided any details or information.

Scroll down to where you see, "Automated Removal Instructions for WindowsFixDisk using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware:" and continue on from there. Note where it states (#3) :

It is possible that the infection you are trying to remove will not allow you to download files on the infected computer. If this is the case, then you will need to download the files requested in this guide on another computer and then transfer them to the infected computer. You can transfer the files via a CD/DVD, external drive, or USB flash drive

Follow the instructions "to the letter". Especially those for the Rkill tool.

Remove Windows Fix Disk or WindowsFixDisk (Uninstall Guide)

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Thank you Carol!!
by twim_boys / March 7, 2013 5:10 AM PST

I know I have not provided much as I am not aware exactly of the problem. I don't which program to run or use on here which give me a name of the virus. Didn't allow any website access! Now I am on the infected computer using the web! When I first started, it just gave me a message stating the computer was infected and to continue without protection. After selecting continue several times it finally allowed me access. I will follow the steps you have provided.

Thanks again!!

Collapse -
It looks as though..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / March 7, 2013 6:39 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you Carol!!

It looks as though Bob and I had the same named "rogue" in mind. I hadn't seen either of your posts when I submitted mine. (Nothing like refreshing a page every now and then! Grin )

I HIGHLY doubt any of your security software instructed you to 'continue without protection'. If you're on the web, make sure it's enabled.

If you find the steps in the removal guide too daunting a task, you always have the option of posting at the above mentioned malware removal forum. They will walk you through the disinfection process. They also have access to certain tools we generally don't utilize here.

Give the removal guide a try. (If you see any ads on the page.. don't click on them)

Furthered good luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Possibly Disk Antivirus Professional
by rhabdomantist / March 7, 2013 11:35 PM PST
In reply to: It looks as though..
Collapse -
Thank You
by twim_boys / March 8, 2013 4:15 AM PST

Internet Explorer provided me with the option to continue without protection, not an antivirus program. Much appreciated feedback, I will try all the instructions that were given.

Thanks Again.

Collapse -
VIRUS
by jacksonbird03 / March 8, 2013 2:08 PM PST
In reply to: VIRUS HELP

Hello twim_boys,
which OS are you using and which antivirus...
i suggest you to use any linux based OS
and if you are using any windows OS then you will use any good antivirus like avast is the best antivirus i have ever used..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.