Computer Help forum

General discussion

Virus has shut down my system!

by mjkoester / March 5, 2009 11:50 AM PST

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 Pentium 4 desk top with Windows XP. I was getting a few pop-ups so I baught Webroot Internet Security Essentials. I installed it, did a sweep and when I restarted the system I had more problems so I did another sweep and had even more problems. Called Webroot, sat on hold for over an hour and while I was waiting I foolishly did another sweep and now my system won't even start in save mode. Now if I tap F8 as I turn it on it just logs me in and logs me out back to the admin page. Webroot told me I now need to take my system to a tech so they can get it started. Does anyone know how I can get logged in or past this problem? Webroot is nice enough to offer me a clean up for another $99.00 (They are so nice) if I can get into the system and on the net.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus has shut down my system!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus has shut down my system!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Virus shut down Dell
by Joat90066 / March 13, 2010 3:31 AM PST

I had a similar problem in October 09 -- but I had been using and still use Webroot software. Somehow the virus got buy it. I went round and round with Dell to the tune of $176 and 20hours on the phone over several days. With Dell taking control of my machine. Trouble with Dell is each time you talk with a techie, he starts from the beginning. Seems they work from home in India so they are not in the same room. So they do not have the same answers to your problem.

The first guy I talked with had programs he put on my computer that trapped the virus. He also had programs to reinstall my XP with service pack II. He was really great. They always say "I will call you back at this time tomorrow". But it was a different guy that called back. And the next guy didn't have those programs and had to go to Microsoft for the fix which didn't work. I never did get XP back on my computer. So beware of Dell. (I have since learned that you can ask the Dell Support for someone in America).

I would say your problem is not with Webroot. That said, if they have a policy to get your $$ back within a short time, you may want to give that a try.

Dell asked me to purchase Norton 360 from them for $100. But I refused, knowing I could get it cheaper elsewhere. Also, I have heard horror stories about Norton.

I ended up giving up because I was so frustrated and upset; so I bought a new HP computer -- with Windows 7 which created a whole set of new problems trying to get my programs to work on in.

Still wonder if I can take my Dell to a techie here in Los Angeles and get some of my stuff off of it. My bad for not backing it all up. At least my photos were backed up.

Collapse -
Great FREE software
by nonerdspls / March 14, 2010 10:55 PM PDT

Well from what I read and correctly (if) understood, you had viruses (ads to be specific), installed antivirus and then with each scan it went from bad to worst to nothing now.

Personally, I got Avast anti-virus, Spybot and Adaware which are all free and work greatly (spybot and adaware might conflict but if they dont, its the best).

Now if you can, remove the hard drive from your pc and put it as a slave on another pc with anti-virus updated (the above three will work wonders).
Scan it with all of the above and it might actually work.

If the above does not work or you dont have another pc, try a reinstall of windows or a repair (though dont count much on it).

The point here is to remove the virus and try not to damage the system files.
Worst case scenario here will be a full format.

I heard of that software but never tried it. Personally, after reading your post i will also never try it (more for the customer care reply than anything else).

Post back with results if you manage to try them or with solution if you come up with one.

Collapse -
Free software and Life after reinstall of Windows
by Joat90066 / March 15, 2010 5:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Great FREE software

Thanks for the info. I will be adding at least one of those free services you mentioned. I believe Consumer Reports touted at least one of them. Also, I noticed that Microsoft is offering Webroot. And Webroot offers an online back up that is very reasonable and run by SOS (I think that's what it is).

When I was working with Dell, they tried to reinstall my operating system several times. Is there hope that something is still there. I was not backing up all my word perfect docs, and that is what I use mainly. Only word docs were saved.

Collapse -
by jeff_windows_team / March 15, 2010 6:45 AM PDT

This caught my attention: "Also, I noticed that Microsoft is offering Webroot."

Can you expand on this?

Collapse -
by Joat90066 / March 15, 2010 7:34 AM PDT
In reply to: webroot

While doing research on computer security and what type of online back up, I came across the info that the security offered for either Windows or MSN Premium is Webroot. Maybe it's MSN Premium. If so, thanks for the clarification.

Collapse -
by nonerdspls / March 15, 2010 5:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Webroot

Personally I have not heard of it though I work in this industry.

Currently for me, the best anti-virus to buy is ESET NOD anti-virus which I find really good with both server and workstation alike.

I am not much of a microsoft fan myself and also hackers usually target microsoft software first so I would not like to stick security to a microsoft anti-virus, if only for that reason though I would also expect them to run better than other anti-virus with microsoft operating systems.

Also a lesson regarding the location of your files - never put them in a windows oriented location like my documents or the desktop because if the operating system gets corrupted, those locations are lost too so just save them inside the c:\ or any other drive in a separate folder. Better still partionion your drive when installing your os into two partitions. One partition for the operating system and the other (albeit much smaller) for your backups and documents and stuff thus if you need to re-format, your data is safe.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.