Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Virus Eating Disk Space

by mharrington2 / May 4, 2008 6:45 AM PDT

I have a Sony Vaio with Windows XP, the Vaio splits it's HD into two separate ones, C drive and D drive. C comes with 13.9 GB and D comes with 55.5 GB. I have recently started receiving alerts saying my C drive doesn't have enough space, so I checked and all of a sudden my C drive went from multiple gigs of free space to a few hundred MB. Over the past week my C drive has been getting lower. I will uninstall a program or delete files and it will only get smaller (yes I emptied the trash can). My drive went from 111MB to 650MB to 812MB in less than one minute. I can sit there and watch it change. This is NOT an issue of too many programs or files. Yes I delete my temp files and cookies and all that. This is far too random to be just a disk problem.

Has any one else had these symptoms and found it on virus scan? Because my scan doesn't find anything.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus Eating Disk Space
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus Eating Disk Space
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: virus eating disc space
by Kees Bakker / May 4, 2008 6:54 AM PDT

That's your assumption only, that it is a virus. I doubt it.

First thing to do: toggle System Restore from on to off and back again to on. Makes a LOT of difference.
Then download a free program called treesize and see in what folders and subfolders your disc space goes.

You might like to use Windows Explorer to search for recently created or changed files also.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: virus eating disc space
by florist20 / May 6, 2008 9:58 AM PDT

I'm experiencing similar problems. I have two partitions, and my C: drive has suddenly run out of space. I have tried using programs such as treesize to identify the culprit. Treesize and other programs like it, will report that I have 10GB free while Windows reports less than 100MB. I've confirmed that System Restore is off as well.

Collapse -
was it a virus?
by endritkullaj / October 13, 2010 4:14 PM PDT

Dear sir/madam!

Did you solved the issue of disk space as I have the same problem?

Regards,

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.