Spyware, Viruses, & Security

General discussion

VIRUS antivirus bootable CD

by satish_997 / May 7, 2008 4:30 PM PDT

My friend was surfing the net today and clicked on a site that looked totally legit. Unfortunately, it wasn't. As soon as he clicked on it, he saw some message saying something about being over 18 and a download bar started going. He tried to close out as fast as he could. It wasn't fast enough; his computer turned off, and now will not boot all the way. I don't believe he can even boot into safe mode. What would you suggest he try?

I heard something about an anti-virus boot cd. Has anyone heard of that? Is it a good way to go? I couldn't find an option to create one with McAfee which I have or the freeware software Avast, Spybot, and Ad-Aware. Avast had one to buy, but it was a hundred bucks for the cheapest option. Ultimate Boot CD, however, claims to be able to bootable from for Windows and has a whole bunch of utilities including the Anti-Virus/Malware Tools F-Prot Antivirus for DOS, McAfee Antivirus Scanner, and Bughunter. Here's it's url:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Do you guys think this would be a good way to go? Any suggestions would be awesome! Happy Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VIRUS antivirus bootable CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VIRUS antivirus bootable CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
OS
by satish_997 / May 7, 2008 4:31 PM PDT

oh yeah, he has XP. I'm not sure whether it's Media Center Edition, Home, Pro, or what.

Collapse -
Yes
by Donna Buenaventura / May 7, 2008 4:46 PM PDT

The UBCD contains antispyware and antivirus:
a-squared, ad-aware, avg antispyware, cwshredder, avg free, avast! tool, mcafee stinger and many others:
http://www.ubcd4win.com/contents.htm

Whether it is the way to go? Yes, if he cannot boot to his system and do not have a backup to restore and/or do not have other way to boot to Windows.
The purpose of UBCD is to allow user to boot the system (diagnostic) to scan or run certain program that is included in UBCD or use it to recover or restoring.

Collapse -
Thank you!!!
by satish_997 / May 8, 2008 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

That's what I thought, but it's always good to get a second opinion.

Thanks!

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome :)
by Donna Buenaventura / May 8, 2008 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you!!!
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.