Spyware, Viruses, & Security

Question

Virus and Spyware

by newbie8 / September 23, 2013 11:13 AM PDT

I suspect someone has put a keylogger on my home computer. If I take a picture off my computer with a flash drive, have a printed paper copy (old fashioned photo) made of it, then scan this paper photo onto a CD to put on another computer, is there a chance that the keylogger could get onto the new computer?

I am sure you can tell I know nothing about computers. Any help would be appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus and Spyware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus and Spyware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
In general you want to do these things
by wpgwpg / September 23, 2013 11:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Virus and Spyware

First you want to have a good antivirus program that automatically keeps itself up to date.
You also want to have a good firewall. Make sure you have the Windows firewall is active. Being behind a router will give you a hardware firewall too.
It's also a good idea to have a good malware checker like MalwareBytes that you run at least monthly.
This will get you started. Check with your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to see if they provide free antivirus protection. I know Comcast does.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
Keylogger etc.
by pgc3 / September 24, 2013 1:55 AM PDT

As a prior poster mentioned, IF you have Keylogger issues you should get an A/V package that will cover such issues, there are several on the market, they are not free, the Kaspersky Internet suite or Norton 360 come to mind, there are others. Can bad things be transferred via flash drive input? It is possible, that would be the reason for a strong A/V package with which you could scan the FD prior to shipping bad things off to another system. Again, these software packages are not free. As another poster stated, a hardwire hook up, via a router, will give you some additional protection but you still need an onboard firewall and A/V software. Wireless connections are more vulnerable, especially when hooking up at large, more reason for a strong A/V set up with Keylogger capability.

Collapse -
Virus and Spyware
by newbie8 / September 24, 2013 3:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Keylogger etc.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Can you tell me though, if a picture was taken off an infected computer and a copy of it printed on paper, then scanned to a CD and uploaded on a new computer, could a virus or keylogger be present from the paper picture that was made from the original picture taken from the infected computer.

I know this seems confusing, but I wondered if viruses/keyloggers can travel in this way.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Virus/Keylogger
by pgc3 / September 24, 2013 3:35 AM PDT

Major difference between Virus and Keylogger.IF there were a virus in a system, it could be transferred to a flash drive, or other media source, such as CD/DVD, it could then be transferred to other systems.

Collapse -
Answer
Since your concern has been ongoing for 4 years..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / September 24, 2013 3:21 AM PDT

newbie..

I noticed most of your posts (since 2009) are in regard to the same issue.

Why not wipe the drive and allay your concerns? DBAN might be a good place to start.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Answer
Years later.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2013 3:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
Viruses and Spyware
by newbie8 / September 24, 2013 4:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Years later.

Thanks for your help.

I would be putting this (infected?) picture over to an Acer Chromebook. That is why I am asking. I don't want to infect another computer.

Thanks.

Collapse -
There are no known keyloggers for that OS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2013 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Viruses and Spyware

But I have encountered folk that can't be helped. That is, they have other issues that need professionals.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
What is it that makes you suspect a keylogger?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / September 24, 2013 6:37 AM PDT

It might help us .. help you.. if we knew what it is that makes you suspect your system has been tampered with?

You mentioned in one thread from March of 2009, you were concerned about your children's friends, who have access to your computer.

Could it be your issues are related to something other than a keylogger?

FYI: Keyloggers: How they work and how to detect them (Part 1)

Carol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.