Download.com Site Feedback forum

Alert

Virus and crapware in CNET downloads

by jcunn1ngham / February 3, 2013 11:12 PM PST

Yesterday I downloaded "BatteryCare" from CNET. As it happened, there was a scheduled MSE scan running at the same time. After ticking as few boxes as possible I installed the program but when I subsequently tried to run it nothing happened. On checking the MSE scan I found two viruses had been quarantined with a date and time coincident with the download and installation. I immediately removed the viruses--too hastily for now I don't know what they were--and uninstalled the recently downloaded "BatteryCare."
On restarting IE Explorer, to download virus checkers, I found that it had been hijacked by the "Blekko" search engine which could not be removed or replaced.
I downloaded virus checkers on another computer, restarted the infected computer in safe mode and ran a full MS SafetyScan from a usb key. It found nothing--I would have been happier if it found something.
While the machine was still in safe mode I went about removing the Blekko malware by searching the registry for "Blekko" and exporting and deletiing any entries I found. There was one entry I did not delete because it had a lot of sub-keys and I am not yet sure it can be safely deleted. It was a full day's work and I am not entirely confident the machine is clean. I will have to make further checks.
Either the program or the CNET download site is contaminated and I will not, in the future, be able to download software from CNET with any confidence.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus and crapware in CNET downloads
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus and crapware in CNET downloads
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've alerted this one for you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2013 11:28 PM PST

On another note, I use BatteryBar Pro. Beware these battery "care" apps. Not all work so try a few. None should claim anything other than measurement.
Bob

Collapse -
Advice.
by jcunn1ngham / February 6, 2013 8:36 PM PST

Thanks for the advice. I was looking for a win 7 'powercfg -energy' equivalent that would run on Vista. I will try BatteryBar Pro.

Collapse -
Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
by CNETSupport / February 4, 2013 3:21 AM PST

I have created a proxy ticket in our support system for this issue, and will pass it along to our Product Management Team so they may double check the install file of the program. If any malware is found, they will temporarily remove the product from our library and notify the publisher of the problem. I will also contact you via e-mail if we need any further information, and to let you know what they find.

In future, please feel free to contact our support team directly by filling out the form at the following link:

http://t.cnet.com/PS6r5c

Regards,
Jen
CNET Customer Help

Collapse -
Response
by jcunn1ngham / February 6, 2013 8:39 PM PST

Thank you for your response and the support link. I look forward to reading the findings of your Product Management Team.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.