Mac Hardware forum

Question

Virtualization vs Remote desktop

by mpgartland / April 3, 2012 8:48 AM PDT

I am a dedicated Mac user. However, I am also a data analyst. Sometimes the programs I need to run analysis only comes in a Windows version. I deal with stats, data mining, a little SQL type stuff. I even need the Windows Excel due to add-ins, etc. My data is rarely over 10GB. Most is far less than that.

Here is my question- I am better off running a virtualization side on my Mac (ie Parellels) or to buy a Windows desktop/server, load the Windows programs into it and then remote desktop in from my Mac. Thus I am running the analysis process on the Windows machine.

Upsides and downsides? Comments?

Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virtualization vs Remote desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virtualization vs Remote desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
As an user of Virtual Box.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2012 8:53 AM PDT

Since I can save the state of the "box" I think it's an excellent solution. And here's a trick I use and want to share. Let's say I want to use another machine. I copy my virtual box file over to that other machine and launch that virtual box machine without having to reinstall the windows in that virtual box. It's pretty amazing stuff.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Love Virtualiztion
by shoppingspout / July 7, 2013 7:25 PM PDT

I really love virtualization. I got Vmware online coupons from ShoppingSpout. I didn't feel any problem while working on it.

Collapse -
Answer
Remote in but using nomachine
by Bob55518 / July 17, 2013 2:14 AM PDT

I am in the same situation with some of the apps I use for stats and data mining etc, but I access my Windows host over the internet (from a Mac). I decided against using virtualizing on my Mac. Anyway, to remote in I use NoMachine for Windows and Mac. I have to say for me it works like a charm.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.