Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Virtual PC

by Piotr Roshkov / January 30, 2005 3:59 AM PST

Hi. I bought a mac mini and it's working great. I'm thinking of buying Virtual PC so I can get instant Ifilm and watch some high quality movie clips etc. It only works on windows, so I'm hoping it will work if I emulate a windows system. My question is to anyone who has used VPC on a G4 mac. Does Virtual PC effect general performance (of course windows applications will be a bit slower, but I mean just day to day mac stuff)? Because if it's going to slow it down, I won't bother with it. Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virtual PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virtual PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
VPC
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 30, 2005 6:33 AM PST
In reply to: Virtual PC

It WILL slow down. VPC performance will be passable, not great, and you may even be able to watch Instant Ifilm (Whatever that is) but the mini will suffer as it has to run two OS's simultaneously.

Performance on the mini will NOT be affected during those times that you do NOT have VPC running.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Piotr Roshkov / January 30, 2005 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: VPC

I don't think I'll install it. Instant Ifilm allows you to watch high quality clips on Ifilm.com (great site) without it pausing to buffer the video. But if I emulate a windows and have mediocore performance, the clip will barely work anyway, so it's not worth the price. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Works for me
by sao309 / February 18, 2005 12:55 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

I have a G4 iMac and use Virtual PC to run Microsoft Publisher. I do a newsletter using this program. VPC takes a while to open WindowsXP but once it is open, the program works great. The speed is fine in working with text and jpeg photos. It was money well spent for me.

Collapse -
It is too slow for me
by RdRunner / March 2, 2005 3:56 AM PST
In reply to: Works for me

I would be interested to know your set up because it is way too slow for me. I have 1gig of memory and allocated 512 to the PC and still no help. Do you have an anti virus software? Please let me know.

Any other suggestions you might have.

Thanks
gss

Collapse -
VPC
by revtate / March 15, 2005 10:35 PM PST
In reply to: Virtual PC

I have VPC on my G4. I use the WIN98 instead of the WIN2000, and it works fine for me, alhtough I normally don't do Mac stuff at the same time. The problems that I have found it that I can't print with it, but I just paste stuff to Apple Works. Also, I have not been able to get online with it, but that's no big deal either. I really like it as my favorite Bible Study program doesn't run on Mac, and that is why I got it. I will do some using both and let you know how it works, but I don't think that it will be a problem at all.
Hope that this helps you a little. All in all it is a great program, only be sure that you get the one that has the OS that you like the best!

revtate

Collapse -
Virtual PC 7.
by Ray Arnoldson / October 14, 2005 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: VPC

I use VPC 7 with windows millennium (booooo) but i am trying to aquire Windows XP because i heard it runs faster with less crashes. (and more software "works" on XP than millennium). I prefer Mac OS and windows is a novelty. By god is VPC an exellent emulator- it shows crashes, blue screens, deletions of important dlls, nasty error reports- the lot!!! JUST LIKE REAL WINDOWS!!! albeit much slower within Mac. My eMac 1.42 with 1g of Ram seems to run windows in VPC so slow, media player does'nt work effectively but if you dont mind waiting its ok for file conversions and windows only software (why else would you endure Windows).

Useful tip- Shutdown windows from within windows (from start menu) rather than through VPC menu. This way you can mount the Virtual HDD as if it was a connected derver or DMG image and you can transfer your files without the slow USB process of Sony Memorysticks.

Ps. Printers don't work properly due to a weird error
Service packs are avail from Microshaft's website (though i would'nt bother as they usually corrupt files so you have to buy new)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.