Computer Help

General discussion

Virtual Memory keeps popping up

by FieryVixen7 / August 9, 2010 3:25 AM PDT

I have a Dell Dimension 2000 which is run by Windows XP.. I keep getting a pop up that says Virtual Memory is low.. How do I raise the Virtual Memory on my computer and how do I check the amount actual memory or Ram that is on my computer incase I want to add another memory stick to it.. I cleaned out all the unnecesary items on my computer transferred all my pictures to a flash drive and took the AOL application off as well including all other AOL features and old apps as well.. I figured this would free up the problem with the freezing.. I also defragged and did the cookies clean.. cache and history.. ty for any help you can give me..

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virtual Memory keeps popping up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virtual Memory keeps popping up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: virtual memory warning
by Kees Bakker / August 9, 2010 4:34 AM PDT

Could you answer 2 questions:
1. What are your virtual memory settings?
2. What are the figures for total, used and free disc space?

For #1: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417, step 2.
For #2: Select C:-drive in My Computer, then right click>Properties.

There's no relation at all with memory sticks. So for the moment, that's off-topic.

Kees

Collapse -
Virtual Memory Warning
by FieryVixen7 / August 9, 2010 9:43 AM PDT

Okay so just that I understand this.. you want me to check #1 to see what the virtual memory is set at through Microsoft and the second one is on the C Disk?

Collapse -
Virtual Memory Low
by FieryVixen7 / August 9, 2010 10:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Virtual Memory Warning

The Total used space is 20.2 GB and the Free Space is 50.0 GB I tried the link you gave me for Microsoft but it doesn't tell me what my Virtual Memory settings are on.. I know on the computer itself there is something I can do to see if the Virtual Memory settings are the same but I forgot how to do that

Collapse -
Re: virtual memory settings
by Kees Bakker / August 9, 2010 6:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Virtual Memory Low

If there's an error message about insufficient virtual memory, the first thing to do is look at the settings for virtual memory.

Control Panel>System>Advanced>Performance Settings>Advanced>Virtual memory settings>Edit
The preferred setting is to have it managed by Windows.

Kees

Collapse -
virtual Memory Low
by FieryVixen7 / August 10, 2010 1:25 AM PDT

Okay I would think it is managed by Windows and if so should it be increased? What else could it be if this is not the issue. Could it be a virus causing it to freeze up and also having the Virtual Memory Low pop up? Would a full recovery help this issue because I have done just about everything else I could think of to clear up this issue. I defragged I did the cookie clean and disk clean up I took off unnecessary programs. Could this be a virus also?? The RAM on this computer is 512 I think that is a sufficient amount of Ram I would think.

Collapse -
Re: "managed by Windows"
by Kees Bakker / August 10, 2010 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: virtual Memory Low

It seems you didn't look at the settings. Either it's managed by Windows or you set a manual minimum and maximum. But you can't "increase" it if it's managed by Windows.
I wonder why you didn't.

Defragging, cookie cleaning, disc cleanup and taking off unnecessary programs are totally unrelated to this problem.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.