Phones

General discussion

Virgin Mobile LG Rumor vs. Telus Samsung M540?

by BradPois / June 27, 2009 4:32 AM PDT

Which of these two prepaid phones should I get? I was originally going to get the rumor but then heard that they have a lot of problems including randomly powering off, the charge port breaking, and the screen glitching. Is the Samsung M540 a better choice or does it have a lot of problems too?

Also, if the Samsung phone is better, is Telus a better provider than Virgin?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virgin Mobile LG Rumor vs. Telus Samsung M540?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virgin Mobile LG Rumor vs. Telus Samsung M540?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LG phones suck
by Al_Swerengen / July 14, 2009 2:45 AM PDT

I have never had a quality experience with an LG phone. It seems as though they are made in the cheapest way possible. Whether this is just them cutting corners to save bucks or just a complete lack of respect for their purchasing customer base is up for debate.

The Samsung is definitely the better of the two models.

As far as service is concerned, if Tmobile is the only other option besides Virgin Mobile then as far as I am concerned Tmobile is the ONLY option for you.

Dealing with Virgins customer service is like talking to a gold fish. All dumb looks and the occasional bit of movement.

Collapse -
telus vs virgin samsung or lg
by clareity / July 14, 2009 3:20 AM PDT

I wondered same. I've not used Virgin but know and dislike Telus. However, I'm going with Telus because I believe it is best quality cell provider and has one number unlimited for $7--all I need.

Telus service and personell, well, never contacting them would work best for me. I've never found them so benign as gold fish--got to love that! That's what I hope for, NO contact with service personell. Horrible attitudes from what I've heard myself. ACK!

LG phone? Looks good. Reviews are so bad. I remember now I had an LG slide-down that I loved. Within 6 months it didn't work. Over years I've had 5 or 6 phones. This was the only troublesome one I've ever had.

As for Samsung, reviews are far better and the slide out qwerty board has 4 rows of keys, not 3 as the LG does, said to be MUCH better. I think it looks great. Will find out soon as that's what I'm going to get. London Drugs will have it in their July 21 flyer. One can buy now and get rebate if price is less. It should be 129 as it was in last flyer. And one can opt to buy 2 year extended warranty. Their service is excellent.

I will not have options like built in gps as plan m540s do. I cannot use out of country. I can use internet/email if I want. I am getting IPHONE from Fido also. 'Refreshed'-- $99 and $15 month for 50 mins, +5 for free eves and weekends. Works CHEAPEST for what I need and my daughter and I each have one though we are usually together, as in when we are in the USA when it matters, so that one's mostly for Iphone features, and emergency calls.

First time for pay as you go for me, but worth a try as it has all I need and is CHEAP apart from first $129 cost of pay as you go phone--with $50 credit.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.