Computer Help forum

General discussion

ViewSonic Monitor Speakers Not Working with DVI Connection

by gjtrain / December 5, 2009 12:31 AM PST

My ViewSonic VA1912wb monitor's speakers started making making static noises and then stopped working. The monitor is connected to my XP PC via a DVI connection and an audio cable. When I change the monitor video input to analog, the speakers work. Unfortunately my video card does not have an analog connection. I tried all the troubleshooting tips* from ViewSonic tech support but nothing worked and they gave up because the monitor is out of warranty. Any ideas on what else I can try? Thanks in advance.

* All cables connected correctly, nothing muted, changed the audio cable, PC's audio out works with other devices, monitor's audio in does not work with other devices when video connected via DVI, monitor and audio drivers reinstalled.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ViewSonic Monitor Speakers Not Working with DVI Connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ViewSonic Monitor Speakers Not Working with DVI Connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cheap fix.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2009 1:22 AM PST

Use another set of speakers. Any other fix is likely to cost more.

Collapse -
Thanks
by gjtrain / December 5, 2009 1:44 AM PST
In reply to: Cheap fix.

That's what I'm doing, but the reason I bought the monitor was because the built-in speakers save desk space. Any ideas on why it works with an analog video input and not the DVI input?

Collapse -
Just one idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2009 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

DVI does not have audio on that cable so it is up to us to configure windows. I find many lost over this as there can be a PER APPLICATION setting as well as Windows Control Panel.

Example "why is that so hidden?" in this picture -> http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w146/rproffitt2000/?action=view&current=WMP_Speaker_NOT.jpg

It the externals work then KEEPING IN MIND that DVI has no audio in it we put the analog to the display and if that fails, it's the display or the display settings.
Bob

Collapse -
No Luck
by gjtrain / December 5, 2009 3:52 AM PST
In reply to: Just one idea.

Windows looks to be configured correctly. Thanks for the suggestion. It's so weird that the sound works when the video input is set to analog.

Collapse -
Just a link,.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2009 4:02 AM PST
In reply to: No Luck
Collapse -
Re: No Luck
by Tufenuf / December 5, 2009 4:38 AM PST
In reply to: No Luck

gjtrain, Go into your Control Panel and open Sounds and Audio Devices. Under the Audio tab/Sound Playback click the Advanced button, under the Speaker setup use the drop down arrow button and experiment with the monitor speakers settings. It's worth a try.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Re: No Luck
by gjtrain / December 7, 2009 1:47 AM PST
In reply to: Re: No Luck

Thanks Tufenuf. I tried every possible setting and still nothing. So far no software fixes have worked so it must be a hardware issue.

Collapse -
Same issue
by nessa6804 / February 22, 2013 4:20 AM PST

We moved and I'm resetting up our computer and now no sound. Only in analog mode. Did you ever figure it out?

Collapse -
what worked for me
by Ordigard / March 12, 2013 2:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Same issue

I was able to get the sound to work with the DVI input by turning the sound level down to 7 and unplugging the DVI cable and plugging it back in. With the sound above level 7 the volume would modulate in and out.

Maybe there is RF interference between the sound amplifier and DVI signal.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.