Samsung

General discussion

Viewing SD channels in 16:9 are not full screen anymore

by tdot23 / June 15, 2010 3:27 AM PDT

I purchased an LN55C610 last week, and hooked up my HD box with component cables.

I had the Picture Size settings set to 16:9 and all channels would fit all across the screen (HD and non HD)

Yesterday, I decided to change cables, hooking up a DVI > HDMI cable from my HD Cable box to the TV, and now the non hd channels will not display across the full screen as they did before in 16:9 (I have to use the "wide" setting, but now the bottom and top of the non hd channels are cut off)

In an effort to get my picture size settings back (in 16:9) I switched back to the component cables, and it still hasnt changed to the original settings.

Is there a reset I can do to restore how I was originally receiving all non hd channels in full screen 16:9 format?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Viewing SD channels in 16:9 are not full screen anymore
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Viewing SD channels in 16:9 are not full screen anymore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Viewing SD channels in 16:9 are not full screen anymore
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 15, 2010 6:05 AM PDT

tdot23,

You might check the output signal and aspect ratio of the output signal in your cable box menu settings. Those settings may have changed when it detected a HDMI cable rather than the component cables. HDMI sends a 1:1 pixel representation to the television, so it's quite possible that would have happened by default.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Cable box menu
by tdot23 / June 15, 2010 6:26 AM PDT

I had just checked the cable box menu before coming here, and lo and behold, the 4:3 override had been switched off. (DCT6200)

Thanks for the input nonetheless

Collapse -
How to make SD Channels full screen
by iJu5tin / June 30, 2013 12:08 PM PDT

First off when you go into the TV setting and set it to 16:9 that is telling the tv to display the feed in a 16:9 form. But if you have a cable box (which you have to to have HD channels) SD channels can only come in thru as 480i which can only come in thru 4:3 setting, unlike HD channels that come thru as 1080i and 16:9. So if you have the cable box set to "Stretched" then it will stretch the picture of the SD channels to fit the screen. But then sense the HD channels were already coming in on full screen it stretches them bigger than your TV screen. I had the same problem with my TV, to resolve this i went into the cable box setting and changed the picture format from "Fixed" to "Auto DVI/HDMI" which then made my SD channels full-screen making then 480i (like they were as when they were set to "Stretch") and then when i go to an HD channel it changes the setting to 1080i to fit the screen. The reason why your Cable box originally put the SD channels in 4:3 is because it was fixed to 1080i. With it set to "Auto DVI/HDMI" it will automatically switch between 480i and 1080i to fit your tv screen. Hope that helped! Happy

Collapse -
SD channels
by lamont0925 / July 11, 2014 3:31 AM PDT

We are unable to change any settings on our cable box, per your recommendation. We have Comcast and they say settings can't be changed on the box.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.