Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Viewing CATscan disks.

by Patricia / April 17, 2005 9:03 AM PDT

Is it possible to view a couple of medical disks I have? I put them into the CDROM but nothing shows. Is there an online site where such things can be viewed?

I had a bronchoscopy which was put on a CD, for lung cancer, and also a CATscan put on CD for jaw-bone cancer. The jaw one I don't have yet. It will be given to me when everyone concerned has seen it.

The chemo is over now and we are now pursuing the problem with the jaw. I'd like to see the CDs, if possible. (Windows 98se)

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Pat

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Viewing CATscan disks.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Viewing CATscan disks.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pat, I'm Sorry To Hear About It...But To View...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 17, 2005 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Viewing CATscan disks.

..the pictures, you'll need to know the file extension of the pictures and from there, we might be able to figure the program to associate with the file extension. When you place the CD in the CD-Rom, open "My Computer", the RIGHT click in the CD-Rom icon, choose "Explore". Does a file show up and if so, what is the file extension of the file?

Hope this helps and my prayers and good wishes go out to you.

Grif

Collapse -
this?
by steve66 / April 17, 2005 10:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
I'm going to stall on this until I get the other CD. (NT)
by Patricia / April 21, 2005 8:57 AM PDT

'Pat

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No Problem, Let Us Know How It Goes .
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 21, 2005 9:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
Gee Patricia, let us know how things are...
by John Robie / April 24, 2005 5:43 AM PDT

I really can't provide any new info from what others have said on how you can view the CAT scan CD on your computer.

My WinXP computer is 3 years old and came with a DVD-ROM and a CDR burner. When I received my CAT scan CD it played perfectly on my PC without any adjustments. It showed the small cancer which a needle biopsy confirmed.

That was two years ago, the cancer was caught in time, half lung removed, and cancer not returned (as of yet).

Collapse -
CD
by Patricia / April 24, 2005 9:12 AM PDT

I think I may be able to open it with Grifs' help. The drive showed all the files and the box popped up that asks you which program you want to use to open this program. I tried Irfanview - no go.

I wasn't feeling great and just let it go for now. The disc is in another room and I'm just too darn "lazy" to go and get it. Happy Chemo is through, but the jaw problem just got worse. Turns out the jaw wasn't cancer and the infection has been doing some nasty things. I need a lot of building up before they can attempt any oral surgery.

Life does throw us curves, doesn't it?

Pat

Collapse -
Pat, It Sounds Like You're Batting Those Curves Right Back
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 24, 2005 12:33 PM PDT
In reply to: CD

..Keep it up...Let us know when you're ready to figure it out.

Grif

Collapse -
extensions
by Patricia / April 25, 2005 2:39 AM PDT

Hi Grif: I may start working on this one day and not feel like it the next, so don't feel that I've "dropped" you if I don't reply for a while.

The extensions on the files are eFilmlt.exe, a .chm, lots of dlls, a file called merge com.pro and .srv.

I have Kodak imager on the computer, which I've never used and don't even know what it does. In addition, of course, there's paint, Irfanview, Real Player, Quick Time, Windows Media Player, and Flash type doohickies. Happy

That's a lot of junk. Something must be capable of doing something.???

Pat

Collapse -
Pat, This Looks Like It...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 25, 2005 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: extensions
Collapse -
Med disc
by Patricia / April 25, 2005 9:19 AM PDT

The screen came up with

"Could not detect MS XML Parser 4.0 which is required to run EFilmLite. Okay to install now?"

Then the illegal operation box came up, along with the blue screen. I hit the reset, then did the short scan disc. (I keep it turned off until I want to use it.)

I see what you mean. It can be viewed, if I do things right. I'm always leary of messing up the computer, so I will often back off of something for a bit and not get too tense.

What do you suggest. Leave it for a bit?

Thanks, as always.

Pat

Collapse -
Pat, Try This...(Ooh, Our New Redesigned Format)
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 25, 2005 9:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Med disc
Collapse -
CD
by Patricia / April 27, 2005 2:08 AM PDT

Nope. 'Didn't work. I downloaded the file and installed it, but when clicking on the .exe file to run the CD, things froze. I used the alt-ctl-del; then the illegal operation thing came up again, etc., etc..

It doesn't seem to want to do it, even though I am looking right at the file. The double click on the .exe causes the "waiting" thingy (in my case, a busy bee), then it just stops and the mouse gets nasty and decides to work sometimes and not another, close to a freeze.

Everything looks as though it would just work with no problem, but it's a computer, for heavens' sake. Of course there'll be a problem. Happy

Thanks Grif.

Pat

Collapse -
(NT) Pat, Tried Disabling Your Antivirus Before Opening?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 27, 2005 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: CD
Collapse -
AVG
by Patricia / April 27, 2005 8:53 AM PDT

No. I didn't. Why would that be necessary?

Pat

Collapse -
Heck, Anything's Worth A Try
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 27, 2005 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG

I'm not sure why the program isn't opening so give it a shot.

Grif

Collapse -
Oh shoot!
by Patricia / April 28, 2005 2:27 AM PDT

I was all set to try it again today and I don't know how to turn off my AVG (free version)? There seems nowhere to "disable" and if I do, how do I turn it back on.

Right click on the system tray icon doesn't bring up a close option.

Pat

Collapse -
Pat, According To This Article..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 28, 2005 7:40 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG

(Sorry, I don't use AVG), to disable the active protection in AVG go into the Control Center and double-click on the Resident Shield, remove the checkmarks from all options. When finished installing, click on the Resident Shield just to select it and from the bottom of the window click the Activate button to turn them back on.

See the second post down in the link below:
temporary disable AVG

It appears like there' no perfect way to shut it down short of uninstalling it but this will do the job.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
CD
by Patricia / April 28, 2005 8:58 AM PDT

Thanks Grif. I don't want to get into it tonight, but I hope to have time tomorrow to try again, without being rushed.

Pat

Collapse -
Reference the error message about XML Parser ...
by Edward ODaniel / September 8, 2007 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Med disc

Are you logged onto the computer with an account that has Admin Priviledges?

Symptoms

When attempting to view images using eFilm Lite the following error occurs:

"Could not Install MS XML Parser 4.0. eFilm Lite will now exit"

Cause

eFilm Lite requires the installation of the Microsoft XML Parser. When the eFilm Lite application is opened, this installation starts automatically and the user is prompted to install the Microsoft XML Parser. If the user currently logged onto the workstation does not have installation privileges/permissions associated with their account, this installation will fail and eFilm Lite will close.

Resolution

Login as an Administrator or a user with installation privileges/permissions. This may require the user to contact the Network or Systems Administrator in their organization to have them install the Microsoft XML Parser. This installation is only required when using eFilm Lite for the first time.

If you are already logged on with an Admin account there are other viewers available for that DICOM (Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine) format. Take a look at this link:
http://www.sph.sc.edu/comd/rorden/dicom.html

Collapse -
Source of eFilm Lite Dicom Viewer
by SScherf / September 4, 2007 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: extensions

I'm trying to help a friend who wants to view is dog's operation on a CD given to him by his vet. However, the program eFilmLt.exe was not included on the CD. Is there an online source for this program?

I've found (online) that this program is free in unlimited qualities, but can't find a download site.

Thanks for any help.
SScherf

Collapse -
Tried This One?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 4, 2007 5:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
tnx for 'pointing the way'
by SScherf / September 4, 2007 6:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried This One?

tnx Grif.

Rather than fill up my computer with yet another large computer program, I'm just going to give this 'good friend' project back to this none computer user. If he gets a copy of the "lite" software, I'll load that and try to print him a photograph (his goal).

SScherf

Collapse -
Oh Shoot!
by glenn30 / April 28, 2005 2:32 AM PDT

Pat the AVG shut down option I use is "Quit AVG Control Center" in the tray list.

HTH

Glenn

Collapse -
Glenn, I'm Told That ONLY Disables the Console...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 28, 2005 10:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh Shoot!
Collapse -
No go.
by Patricia / May 1, 2005 2:39 AM PDT

'Guess I'll quit trying this for a while. The computer just keeps getting messed up and I really don't want to do anything to MY computer. Happy

I end up with a not stable blue screen, illegal operation, etc., etc. It's a little scary. I have to hit the reset as everything freezes and I sure don't like that.

Maybe I'll go back to it later, but right now I'm afraid of causing problems with my computer.

Thanks everyone.

Pat

Collapse -
Pat, Good Idea...A Suggestion...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 1, 2005 4:05 AM PDT
In reply to: No go.

You might contact the MRI lab that sent the CD to you. It's very possible they've got a solution to your dilemma.

Take care.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks, as always, Grif. :)
by Patricia / May 1, 2005 8:55 AM PDT

Collapse -
efilm Lite and Windows 7
by radiorab / February 4, 2010 12:21 PM PST

HAD THE SAME PROBLEM OPENING CD-ROM DISKS WITH MRI, CT ETC. FINALLY GOT I.T. MAVIN WHO CHECKED IT OUT, IT IS NOT COMPATIBLE. FORTUNATELY, I HAVE 2 COMPUTERS AND SWITCH BACK TO THE XP SYSTEM TO OPEN (SO SO EASILY) THE DISK. MAYBE THEY WILL FIGURE A WAY AROUND IT??!

Collapse -
You could try searching google for a free DICOM viewer
by pestermenot / January 30, 2011 5:53 AM PST

That's what I ended up doing, it was a snap to find one that opens my MRI files, should work for most imaging.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.