Mac Hardware forum

Resolved Question

viewing a photo cd

by pool-girl / January 24, 2012 2:39 AM PST

My cousin sent me a photo cd of old family photos. She said I should just insert the disk & they would pop up, but they don't. I am new to Apple, & get easily confused... Sad I am using a MacBook Pro. Can anyone help me??? Thank you Happy

pool-girl has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: viewing a photo cd
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: viewing a photo cd
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by pool-girl

Collapse -
With the CD in, it will mount on the desktop
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 24, 2012 7:22 AM PST
In reply to: viewing a photo cd

Does it?

Collapse -
Thank You!!!
by pool-girl / January 24, 2012 9:16 AM PST

Thank you for your reply. No, there is no icon to click. I will talk to her about finalizing it Happy Thanks again!!

Collapse -
just as a matter of interest,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 24, 2012 9:07 PM PST
In reply to: Thank You!!!

when you put in other Cd's or DVD's, can you confirm that they appear on the desktop?

Collapse -
Thank you
by pool-girl / January 25, 2012 12:32 AM PST

Yes, I put in a dvd, & had an icon, & a remote control pop up. Haven't tried a music cd yet. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) OK, just proving that the DVD/CD drive actually work
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 25, 2012 7:26 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you
Collapse -
Would like to view my pictures from a HPPhoto disc on a Mac
by Sandibug4469 / March 12, 2013 11:51 PM PDT

I had some pictures scanned to a disc at Wal-mart however, I'm not able to open it up on my Mac Book Pro.

I checked to make sure the pictures were on the disc before leaving the store so I know that's not the issue.

Also, what do you mean by 'finalize' the disc Confused - in modern day vernacular please.

Collapse -
Re: viewing pictures
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 13, 2013 12:11 AM PDT

The first thing I'd do is find a Windows device (laptop or PC) and try if that can see the pcitures on the disc.

Collapse -
Seems there is a Wikipedia entry on this
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2013 12:20 AM PDT

"make it playable on a system other than the one it was recorded on"

You may need to know that if this disc is one where you can add more pictures to at Walmart, then it is not finalized and may not work on all computers, DVD players until it is final.
Collapse -
Finalize the disc.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 13, 2013 8:26 AM PDT

When a disc is burned but not finalized, it is possible to add more data (photo's) to the disc.
Sounds good in theory but can cause problems like the one you are experiencing. The disc will work fine on the machine it was recorded on but not work at all in others.

This problem is avoided if the disc is finalized on completion of the burning process. This is done by default on a Mac when you burn from the Finder.
This effectively closes off the disc and prevents any further data from being put on it.
In this state, the disc is usually playable on all types of CD or DVD player.

Take the disc back to Walmart and get them to finalize the disc for you.

See the post by Bob for further information.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.