Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

by glb613 / January 19, 2005 7:08 PM PST

The first time I access the internet using Netscape, I get an error message that view.atdmt.com could not be found. I have run multiple scans, antivirus, spyware, online antivirus, and done a Google search. I deleted cookies and TIF. I'm running Windows XP home on a Dell 8300. I use ZoneAlarm, NAV, Adaware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster and CWshredder. Every scan I do comes up clean. I have cable access using a Linksys router. So far I haven't found a thing to explain what is trying to access the internet. Any clues?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: view.atdmt.com
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: view.atdmt.com
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Isn't this your home page?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 19, 2005 8:00 PM PST
In reply to: view.atdmt.com

Are you sure Netscape isn't trying to connect to a home page? And if that page no longer exists, you will get the error message.

Or is your Netscape set to open a different home page?

Collapse -
No it isn't my home page
by glb613 / January 19, 2005 8:43 PM PST

And it only happens the first time I log on. I can close Netscape and open it repeatedly with no error messages. But the first time, the error message appears. I've done a search and the only information I've found is it is a tracking cookie. Well if that is true, why can't I get rid of it? I'm at a loss. Any ideas? Gail

Collapse -
I found a few others
by roddy32 / January 19, 2005 8:53 PM PST
Collapse -
Here's another one Gail
by roddy32 / January 19, 2005 9:27 PM PST

Half way down the page. It may not tell you where it came from but it might be a workaround.

Collapse -
thanks everyone
by glb613 / January 20, 2005 7:59 AM PST

I still can't find "it" and most of what I read doesn't make sense to me. I guess it's things like this that keep a person humble. After having my computer off for most of the day, I started it, opened Netscape and no errors trying to connect to view.atdmt.com. I'm going to use IE tomorrow and see what happens. I put the address on the restricted sites list but I can't find anything similar for Netscape. What I find most annoying is, this happend despite all of the protection I have installed. Bah Humbug! Gail

Collapse -
This could be completely
by roddy32 / January 20, 2005 8:27 AM PST
In reply to: thanks everyone

off base Gail but I did some more checking after my last post today and it COULD be tied to Weatherbug if you have that, although I DO have Weatherbug and have no trouble like you are having. It's just a thought.

Collapse -
no weatherbug installed
by glb613 / January 20, 2005 9:25 AM PST

I can't think of anything I've downloaded other than Windows, antivirus and spyware updates. I'm too weary to continue finding a fix tonight. But, I'm determined to locate whatever is on my computer. Thanks. Gail

Collapse -
You're welcome and if I can
by roddy32 / January 20, 2005 9:40 AM PST

think of anything else, I'll let you know. You've got me curious on this now. I lot of the websites I checked out today had that listed in HJT logs and most of the forums told them to "fix" it with HJT but NONE of the ones that I read said anything as far as what exactly was causing the problem or where it came from. All the ad-block ones had that on there too but again, none explained why. Good luck Gail.

Collapse -
no error message this morning!
by glb613 / January 20, 2005 6:31 PM PST

I used IE first and no error messages but, I did have several popups. Normally I don't have any. I opened Netscape and it was fine. I'll download and run HJT and see what it finds.

What really concerns me it the fact I update and/or run scans daily. If that isn't enough to prevent malware on your computer, what is the answer? Stop using the internet? Have a dedicated computer to only use on the internet so if it does get infected, there is nothing personal or important on it to steal? Gail

Collapse -
That is strange
by roddy32 / January 20, 2005 8:27 PM PST

Do you know what the popups were for?

Collapse -
I E restricted sites
by Colvale / January 22, 2005 11:07 AM PST
In reply to: thanks everyone

Hi Gail,
I've just gone and added view.atdmt.com to my IE restricted sites. Got a message that ...\shdoclc.dll [whatever that is] was now blocked! But, Lo! As soon as I open any web page the same security warning pops up. Soo.. that didn't work for me. I must learn a little about editing/managing Hosts files soon. Got something called eDexter but haven't had time to study it yet.
Having now read backwards through this discussion I now see, and I'm sorry, I don't have any answers for you. A couple of links you already have..
If this problem is related to CoolWebsearch, then Spywareblaster and/or Spybot may have some updates. I haven't updated Spywareblaster for a few days and, believe it or not, my Spybot got infected [hijacked] by some Adware Bundler which tries to install ActiveX's every time I boot up - took me a while to track it down.. I mean... Who would guess?
Microsoft Antispyware (only 'beta' version I'm afraid) kept finding these Adware things where no other antispyware did, but we couldn't figure out why they kept coming back. Persistent little varmints!
Anyway my new Spybot is probably finished downloading by now, so I can now go and see how that goes.
Good health, blood, sweat and tears,

Colin.. actually

Collapse -
by roddy32 / January 22, 2005 11:16 AM PST
In reply to: I E restricted sites
Collapse -
by Colvale / January 22, 2005 5:57 PM PST
In reply to: Colin

Thanks Roddy,
I didn't get around to looking it up myself, so it does help. Reassuring in a way.

BUT!! WHAT REALLY WORRIES ME is the warning I recieve is:
'Current Web Page: view.atdmt.com is trying to open Web site: C:\windows\system32\shdoclc.dll'
Does that look like a Web address to you?

If \shdoclc.dll exists on my machine, I sure don't want no non-existent 'Web page' opening it for me!

BTW: I have seen the same warning pop up on about every page visited at this site, whereas, normally it appears when I open IE, or enter a Web site.

I opened Firefox to see if it showed up there, but didn't prove much 'cause I've been IE all day.

Anyway, it looks like a threat to me, wherever it comes from, so it's just as well we get warnings about it.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / January 22, 2005 8:01 PM PST
In reply to: thanks

I haven't had any more success finding anything more about this than you or Gail have. The link that you posted to her that you had found was the same page That I had posted a couple of days earlier. If I find out anything more, I will post it here for sure. Good luck.

Collapse -
by Colvale / January 22, 2005 8:53 AM PST

glb613, Hi.

I Googled 'view.atdmt' and ended up here. First I included '.com' in first search - no result.

I've been getting the same Security warning when opening Int. Explorer, default setting = msn.com.
Spybot blocks Avenue A, Inc.there as well. Neither seems to happen when I open Firefox [which also has Google]!
I have Spyware Blaster and Ad Aware as well.
BHODemon has been showing a Flashget BHO attached to Google Toolbar, reckons it's benign, but I reckon Flashget is malign.
Trialing Microsoft AntiSpyware(beta)1 shows Flashget Adware active and persistent long after complete uninstall of Flashget (jetcar) utility. Microsoft Antispware shows possible Browser Hijack on IE local page...
could be linked to this atdmt hijack attempt.. I don't know.
"view.atdmt.com is trying to open website C:\windows\system32\shdoclc.ll" looks like its trying to crack into something in my system. I haven't looked up "shdoclc.dll" yet, I'll keep you posted if I can find out any more. In the meantime I just click NO on security warning hoping to keep it at bay.

All the best, Colvale.
P.S. that security warning popped again when I opened preview, and again when I came back here, and again no doubt!

Collapse -
by Colvale / January 22, 2005 9:43 AM PST
Collapse -
glb, please read this thread from
by roddy32 / January 23, 2005 6:14 AM PST
Collapse -
Same problem
by Daryl / January 23, 2005 7:46 AM PST

I am having the same problem with the view.atdmt.com alert. However, I cannot open any of the websites that people have suggested in this thread. I am having my hijack log looked at on another website..but so far no luck. I will keep checking this thread to see if anyone has an answer and if I find one I will post it here.

Collapse -
Thank you Daryl
by roddy32 / January 23, 2005 8:00 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem

I'm curious as to what the HJT people say.

Collapse -
Same Problem (Here's Info or suspicious source)
by cecoleman / January 24, 2005 9:33 AM PST

I too just noticed this problem on my system. When I open Firefox I get the same failed to connect to this view.atdmt.com as well. Here are three things I've done recently to my system that may have triggered it. Have you done any of these things prior to this happening?

1. Installed latest version of Java from www.java.com
2. Installed the latest version of Flash
3. Installed a weather extension from Mozilla.org for Firefox.

I've run all the spyware scans and have none on my system. Any links here?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.