Computer Help forum

General discussion

Videos Pause while playing

by janski48 / July 30, 2009 10:40 AM PDT

My videos are pausing for several seconds while they are playing. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Videos Pause while playing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Videos Pause while playing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What type?
by Jimmy Greystone / July 30, 2009 11:15 AM PDT

What type are the videos? Are they online, like YouTube, or offline like a DVD movie?

Collapse -
Videos Pausing
by janski48 / July 31, 2009 12:33 AM PDT
In reply to: What type?

Yes, they are YouTube videos or anyother type of video I try to watch on line.

Collapse -
In that case
by Jimmy Greystone / July 31, 2009 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Videos Pausing

In that case there's very little you can do. You can make sure your system is free of malware, and turn off any file sharing programs you may have running, but outside of that, you'll have to get a higher tier Internet service from your ISP, and even that's no guarantee.

There are simply too many things that can affect online video playback performance. Trying to pin down exactly which one it is is like a game of whack-a-mole.

Collapse -
Videos Pausing
by janski48 / July 31, 2009 10:53 AM PDT
In reply to: In that case

Thansk for your help!

Collapse -
Something to try
by jeff_windows_team / July 31, 2009 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Videos Pausing

Try clicking pause when the video starts to play and letting the video load for a few minutes. I'm guessing your internet download speeds are not fast enough for watching movies online.

Collapse -
Proxy
by griplock / August 1, 2009 11:20 AM PDT

I agree if the host site is slow it's not much you can do. However, you can try a proxy site for Youtube that usually has a lot of popular videos loaded on their servers. Can cut the loading time significantly. Here is a site:
https://youtubeproxy.org/

It may take a while to pinpoint the cause. I found that Vista's audio system can slow down streaming video. There a synchronizing problem. Check your processes to see if you are having CPU spikes while playing vids.

Here are some other general tips to speeding up online vids:
http://www.delete-computer-history.com/slow-streaming-video.html

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.