Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Video player problems

by Turbomentor / April 28, 2013 4:38 AM PDT

I downloaded VLC to compliment Media Player 11 and it was a disaster to my system . Now I have it all cleaned up but at one point thumb nails were inaccessible. The only thing left I can see is that my system wont start up a video on one click. I have to click open with and at the top of the options is the word Shell. What is going on ?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video player problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video player problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
TRUE!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2013 8:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Video player problems

I have to guess you are writing about Explorer and how it might or might not show thumbnails. Said thumbnail is rendered by Explore working with a "CODEC" and can fail. If you forget the thumbnail and associate the file with VLC Player then you should be able to double click to play it in VLC Player.

You bring up a great issue with Windows. That is, after over a decade folk are still befuddled with the video CODECs. Do you think it's time for a new OS that doesn't have so much for the owner to deal with?
Bob

Collapse -
I would love to not have to deal with so much .
by Turbomentor / April 29, 2013 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: TRUE!

You know I sure would like to not have to deal with so much due to codecs and the likes., After 10 years at least I know my way around and can explore my folders and know something. Now that I am getting into audio production I am a newbie all over again . The thumbnails are fixed , the problems I am still having has to do with how Video players are installing . Real player left behind all kinds of stuff after I uninstalled it. I ran my Registry mechanic and Hkey _classes_Root\applications\realplay.exe\shell\open\command
Hkey _classes_Root\dbc..mpeg.1\default.icon
Hkey _classes_Root\dbc..mpeg.1\shell\command
I get a couple more with my midi mentioned and one of them has a shell/command as well. and they are listed as missing or invalid.

When ever I left click on the command list for opening files that are either music or video I get "shell" listed at the top of the list as a command. It makes it so I cant simply click on the file and play it. This stuff makes me nervous as my system crashed over audio related issues and my synthesizer being hooked up or not.

Collapse -
About real.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2013 4:23 AM PDT

Sorry but after my neighbor (let's keep this to current events?) brought up his "Real" player issues I can't say I'd go near their apps.

As to the crash that sounds typical of some synth driver problems. I can't fix that but have heard of such.
Bob

Collapse -
That is actually
by Jimmy Greystone / April 29, 2013 6:14 AM PDT

That is actually what VLC does. It brings with it all of its own codecs, so you don't need to manage those separately like Windows Media Player. Windows Explorer, as Bob pointed out, won't be able to use those for rendering thumbnails, but if you can live without that, VLC will greatly simplify things. MediaPlayer Classic Home Cinema (MPC-HC) is another great option. Like VLC it comes with its own set of codecs for most formats, but kind of splits the difference by letting you use separate codecs if you want.

Personally I prefer MPC-HC, but then I have a dedicated HTPC for most of my "serious" video watching needs, and MPC-HC is just for little things.

Collapse -
How do I get rid fo this shell command ?
by Turbomentor / April 29, 2013 10:16 AM PDT
In reply to: That is actually

I found an older version of VLC that is compatible with Windows Media player and thumbnails. I wouldn't need thumbnails if I wasn't working with video and music. So many labels it is easier to have a thumbnail to recognize. The big question for me is how do I remove the shell command from the top of my menu for for music and video files ? That thing really needs to go. Thanks for the help!

Collapse -
Is the the "How do I edit a context menu?" question?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2013 4:11 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks
by Turbomentor / April 29, 2013 11:44 PM PDT

Ok I got this tool working , now I need to figure out how to use it. I wish this board had an file attachment function so I could post a pic of my screen. I am kinda perplexed as to which of them will remove it.

Collapse -
There's always PhotoBucket and such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
Still trying to identify what " shell" in the context menu
by Turbomentor / April 30, 2013 3:41 AM PDT

Well I disabled the three modified items in the list with a date near when this thing appeared. Meaning I fooled around with the ShellExVeiw settings.

shell is still listed and when I try to find out anything like here http://www.askvg.com/how-to-add-remove-entries-in-context-menus/ I feel like I am in a loop seeing this is about a listing context menu item that says "shell" . In other words if I am looking at the menu for opening an audio or video and I I see "shell" at the top , then "Play" , then " Play with VLC " and on down the line. Its gotta be in there somewhere . "shell" is not listed on the context menu for photo images.

Collapse -
It's too deep for some.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 3:46 AM PDT

The context editors are just front ends to edit a certain area of the registry.

Your posts are fine but highlight that MSFT kinda dropped the ball here. I'm unsure if folk want to learn all about this area or look at the registry in depth. I know I can't offer a direct answer as some folk get really upset if they edit the registry and it creates another issue. That's why I have to offer the safest possible advice and can't tell anyone what to remove.
Bob

Collapse -
I hear you
by Turbomentor / April 30, 2013 8:27 AM PDT

Hey man , I didnt even go online till 02 . I started out playing with the 8600 mainframe at UCB in 79 for a psychics project but went into another direction . I can see how really diving into an OS for 8 hours a day for awhile could have been very useful but I wasn't in the mindset. Learning the terms like Context Menu to even know how to start a Search Engine inquiry is a big deal. Of course once I get enough of it to have an aha moment its great. I really can sympathize with folks who have a lot of trouble adapting to all the instructions that go along with new tech tools. Key words and phrases as far as I can tell aren't always presented well., Photobucketing will take ten pics. Yikes .

Collapse -
WIll you have me walk the plank for this one?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 8:36 AM PDT
In reply to: I hear you

If you export the key that holds the context menu items (yikes!) then that's just a text file that you can paste here for a look see.

Said plank is over the usual deep water with sharks.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. 79 here but with a GE-210
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 8:37 AM PDT
In reply to: I hear you

Core memory and paper tape!

Collapse -
I will try to take a couple images of the thing and photobuc
by Turbomentor / April 30, 2013 3:43 AM PDT

I will take a couple screen images on my next break and photobucket them.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.