Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Video Output issues on laptops

by corkey26692 / April 29, 2013 5:58 AM PDT

HELP!!!! I have 3 laptops that boot but show no video output regardless of the source.
HP Pavilion DV6 . Odd thing is that there is no license information on the back of the laptop to determine the exact model or serial number. I have never seen a laptop like that. The only license information is for windows.
Screen is broke so she was using an external monitor. Turned it on and the monitor didn't react. Tried HDMI and still nothing. I want to replace the screen but now I am having the problem of NO video output at all so I can't access any command screens.
2 I have 2 Toshiba Satellites L505D-S5983 & L655S PSK2LU
L505D-S5983 Did a restore disk for windows 7 and screen miraculously popped up. Updated drivers and cleaned it up. Week later, same problem.. she turned it on and got a blank screen.
L655S PSK2LU Tried the repair disk but got nothing.
I have been told that the video card is integrated into the motherboard but there HAS to be another way around it no?
I hate to think that these are now useless with the amount of money they invested. Both laptops have no warrantees.
Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have researched online and have tried the taking the battery out and hitting different function keys but to no avail. Thank you.

corkey26692 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video Output issues on laptops
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video Output issues on laptops
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by corkey26692

Collapse -
No License
by corkey26692 / April 29, 2013 8:56 AM PDT

Funny you should say that as I asked the same question...I am not sure of where the laptops come from, I simply try to fix them.

Collapse -
If you repair cars.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2013 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: No License

Then you know it's rare to fix them without make and model numbers. The owner would have paid dearly for them so unless they are hot you should ask them for the rest of the package so you can decode what it is.

HOWEVER when the laptops die like you note I'm usually replacing the mainboard. I do watch the new computer repair person flame out as they think we replace boards too quickly but there's overhead and reputation at stake here.

Collapse -
by corkey26692 / April 29, 2013 12:26 PM PDT
In reply to: If you repair cars.

Can you recommend a good website to purchase motherboards, (newegg, etc). Thank you

Collapse -
Motherboards for laptops.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2013 12:55 PM PDT
In reply to: motherboards

Are not fungible. I don't you to be upset but this is a question from your entry level techs. This wears off quickly so let's hope you don't overcommit or make promises about low cost laptop repair.

Collapse -
by corkey26692 / April 30, 2013 12:35 AM PDT

I'm sorry, I have no idea what you are referring to. I thought this was a site that helps with computer issues. I don't offer any cheap computer repair. The laptops are my aunt's, friend, and neighbor.

I am looking for help... not business. I don't know that much about computers to offer any type of help. I am just looking for help.

Collapse -
It is such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 12:41 AM PDT
In reply to: confused...

But it's more than that. It's a discussion forum but not where say a computer repair technician would seek help to find which diode to replace. That's done with service manuals and training.

I have placed a lot of information in the CNET Laptop Troubleshooting forum but in your case you seem to be very new to the repair business. That is, you haven't learned the usual lessons. I find that some learn them faster than others and a few will flame anyone that won't tell them which diode it is.

Let's hope you're learning faster about laptop repairs and discover that if it's not simple such as the generic reset that it's usually the more expensive part.

Collapse -
Still confused...
by corkey26692 / April 30, 2013 5:05 AM PDT
In reply to: It is such.

I think I understand where you are coming from but I was simply looking for some assistance. I am not a repair technician, I am simple a lay person trying to solve a problem. I did a yahoo search for computer help forum and this one came up so I thought I would see if anyone could help me.

Obviously I did or said something wrong and my simple request was misunderstood. I will remove this posting (if I know how) and will stick with the other computer forumns for help. Thank you.

Collapse -
You didn't do anything wrong.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 5:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Still confused...

Your post noted having several laptops and along with what else you wrote it sounded like the usual first year repair tech story.

Please read the welcome post in the CNET Laptop Troubleshooting forum as the generic reset takes only a minute and can pull what looks like a dead machine back sometimes.

Also, Morris has graciously supplied access to his laptop repair book which is gold for those that are just starting out.

My comments about the right diode to replace is from folk that come to forums looking for circuit board level repair assistance. Sadly the days of board repair look to be long gone. You may find folk replace some jacks and other pieces but boards are replaced today because the megabuck board test systems are far out of reach except in the production areas.

My background includes In-Circuit-Test (ICT) systems and the programming there of so I feel for those without such exposure.

Collapse -
Thank you.
by corkey26692 / April 30, 2013 9:30 AM PDT

I will take your advice and read the mentioned articles. As for the rest of your response, I have no idea what you are talking about. Like I said, I have my aunt's, friends, and neighbors computers will all the same issues. 2 of them are the same brand and I was just looking for help. I thought I closed the discussion to avoid any further misgivings. thank you.

Collapse -
If you are just beginning then consider it's "parts"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 10:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you.

There are a few boards and parts in these laptops. If you have a dead laptop you can remove the HDD, ODD, some RAM and even unplug the keybaord, wifi and touch pad to reduce what possible bad parts there are.

What's left are the possible bad parts.

Here's a tech tip. Can't figure out which part is bad? Start with the cheapest part first.

Collapse -
Sorry but can you clear something up?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2013 6:17 AM PDT

These sound like laptops that need repair. I've seen folk obscure the model and serial number on stolen laptops so let's hope these are not another sad story about less than legitimate models.

And it seems odd to me that you or the owner would not have the model number as they would have paid dearly and kept the documentation. Then again, when folk bring in a story like this and the serial numbers are all gone, you wonder if the unit is stolen.

Collapse -
Re: video issues
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 29, 2013 6:25 AM PDT

If you don't see the BIOS doing the POST and you can't get into the BIOS setup using the appropiate function key early during the boot, it's a hardware issue with the motherboard (or anything on it: RAM and CPU).

It's not 100% sure, I think, that the external monitor should work for the BIOS, but it certainly should show the OS starting up (any OS, be it from the hard disk or an optical disc). If it doesn't, it certainly is a hardware issue. Replacing the motherboard is expensive.

But did you try the generic reset (taken from the top post of this forum):
1. Remove all connections to the laptop. (USB, power, etc.)
2. Remove the battery.
3. Press and hold the power on button for 1 full minute.
-> Explainer. Yes, many machines only require 10 or 15 seconds but this reset instruction is generic and I've found people hold the button for 9 or 14 seconds so let's write the full minute.
4. Let go of the power on button.
5. Slip in the battery pack.
6. Plug in the power to the laptop and to the wall.
7. Do not plug in any other devices.
8. Power on

Collapse -
Thank you
by corkey26692 / April 29, 2013 8:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: video issues

I did all that but it never hurts to try it again.... thank you for your input

Collapse -
by corkey26692 / April 30, 2013 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: video issues

Thank you for the information but unfortunately it didn't work for any of them.

Collapse -
Let me share the dv6000 story.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 1:16 AM PDT

Google "dv6000 recall" to learn about a problem. Now it may not be easy on folk but that design is well known to fail in other makes and models. So if you find that cpu and gpu you know to distance yourself from that repair. If you send these to a competitor and they are fool enough to take it on then they get all the pain and bad words. You only get some push back because you won't go where you know you can't fix the basic issue (bad design.)

I find the new PC repair tech to either think they can fix it or they know they are -> learning <- about the industry and that there are lemons out there in the market.

If you try to fix a lemon, you may be upset when your client feels you can't fix it. It's an area that's very hard on techs.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.