TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Video on SD card not detected by Panasonic TV

by rabinick / December 8, 2009 2:15 PM PST

Have the latest Panny G15 42 Plasma and trying to get video from an SD card to play. It recognizes still jpegs just not video. Manual says have to use mpeg2 so I took original AVIs (from an old Canon still camera) and converted them to mpeg2 using Any Video Converter - TV still does not recognize them. Manual does say that pc modified files may not play properly, but TV doesn't even recognize them. I have seen posts about the number of files and having the files in a DCIM folder both of which I have played with, with no success.

Has anyone had any success with converting to mpeg2 that will play in a Panasonic TV?

Otherwise, I guess I have to buy a hi-def camera now!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video on SD card not detected by Panasonic TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video on SD card not detected by Panasonic TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Pepe7 / December 8, 2009 11:11 PM PST
Collapse -
Just a thought here;
by ahtoi / December 9, 2009 3:40 AM PST

If the tv only support mpeg2, then hi-def camera won't help. Mpeg2 are not hi-def format (at least I don't think so).

Collapse -
sd video for panasonic
by rabinick / December 9, 2009 4:27 AM PST
In reply to: Just a thought here;

Hey you are right - mpeg is not hi-def, but the TV also supports AVCHD which is hi def. My current camera cannot produce hi def though so I have to use mpeg or buy a camera that produces AVCHD.

The dude above thought was dead on with referring me to AVS forum - I learned there that the TV expects a very specific file structure in addition to the file format. The best bet for using a Panasonic TV and SD card is to film video with a Panasonic Hi Def camera which produces the right file format & structure straight away (someone said Sony does as well). Another, more complicated option is to use a utility called multiAVCHD to convert the original file format and structure to one that is readable by the TV - though this appears to be a little complicated. I think I will ask someone in the AVS forum to produce a simple checklist of steps to take video and convert it to something readable by a panasonic TV from an SD card.

One last option I thought of is to simple get a laptop with a card reader and HDMI out (which I wanted to do anyway)and plug that into the TV to bypass the whole SD card thing. It's too bad panasonic didn't make their SD reader/firmware more flexible with file formats.

Collapse -
Laptop seem like an expensive way to do this...
by ahtoi / December 9, 2009 5:54 PM PST
In reply to: sd video for panasonic
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.