PC Applications forum

General discussion

Video Editing with PIP

by barryf43 / August 25, 2005 8:49 PM PDT

I am looking for video editing software that enables picture-in-picture with 2 separate video feeds. The only one I've found is Pinnacle Studio 9.0, which works, but I've been experiencing all of the stability and rendering problems that are well documented in the User Opinions section of CNet's review of this software. Hopefully, there are other programs that provide this feature without the problems.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Barry

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video Editing with PIP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video Editing with PIP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look at..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2005 9:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Video Editing with PIP

Better software programs like Sony Vegas and many others.

However, this is not "2 separate video feeds" but 2 video files. There is a slight difference.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
Sony Vegas
by barryf43 / August 26, 2005 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Look at..

Thanks Bob. Unfortunately this software does not do PIP from separate video feeds. You mentioned that there may be others. Any other suggestions?

Barry

Collapse -
Define video feeds?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 26, 2005 7:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony Vegas

While I've seen it take 2 video files and play each in a frame, video feeds is something we do in hardware.

Bob

Collapse -
Video Feeds
by barryf43 / August 27, 2005 12:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Define video feeds?

I race cars and put 2 video cameras in the car, one facing forward and one backwards. I put the rearward video in the PIP window so that the main view is of the forward camera, but I can see what's going on behind me in the PIP window. So far, Pinnacle Studio 9 is the only software I've found that can do full video in the PIP window. The others just do FX in a window.

Pinnacle is just so frustrating to use, unstable and takes hours to burn a 30 min dvd. I'm hoping to find something better.

Thanks,

Barry

Collapse -
Not defined yet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2005 10:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Video Feeds

I know it's tough but in the video world, a feed is realtime. You are working with video FILES or CLIPS. If you aren't then I need you to defince in great detail what a video feed is.

And... Vegas does the PIP well. What some don't like is the wallet drain.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
Better Definition
by barryf43 / August 29, 2005 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Not defined yet.

Bob, sorry for the lack of precision, but, as you can probably tell, I am no where close to an expert on this stuff. I record the video in my car with two video cameras, one is digital and one is Hi 8 analog. I use the Pinnacle software to capture each video onto my hard drive as two separate .avi files. Then I use the editing features of the software to create a PIP video from these two files with some minor editing and titles. I then burn the edited PIP video onto dvd's.

I now realize that the Vegas software does PIP, but you're right, the wallet drain is significant. Any other thoughts?

Barry

Collapse -
Thanks for the clarification.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2005 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Better Definition

Here's what your existing software may not like. The encoding of each video may matter to Pinnacle. I've seen it choke on DivX and other encodings. Here's what I would do.

-> Capture the files, but in a high bit rate MPEG1 or MPEG2 so the CPU load isn't too bad. Forget DivX and others because we want stability over file size.

If the machine is locking up, then remove the case cover to let it run as cool as possible. Sometimes (over half the time) I find it's just a machine issue.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Collapse -
mpeg vs. avi
by barryf43 / August 29, 2005 7:53 AM PDT

Thanks Bob. Any secret to setting up Pinnacle to capture in Mpeg instead of avi? Is there a preference between mpeg1 or mpeg2?

Barry

Collapse -
What is .AVI...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2005 11:37 AM PDT
In reply to: mpeg vs. avi

It's a container of many encoding methods. Let's not go into why a .MPG or .MPEG file still plays when you rename it to .AVI. Ok? .AVI files can be encoded with a bazillion methods or codecs and still be labeled .AVI... There is no .AVI codec.

As to Pinnacle's settings, I haven't seen that one for years, but if you capture in Pinnacle, look around at all settings.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
picture page and pinnacle
by jdaisy / January 26, 2007 10:02 PM PST
In reply to: Video Editing with PIP

Hi I am tearing my hair out with this problem and pinnacle support is hopeless:
Any way I have a sony handy cam and I tride to capture footage in pinncacle 9 it wouldnt so I ring up picture package the software with the camera and they said I could only capture with picture package and then I could import that into studio 9. when I try and import it is says it cant open the file. I would be greatful of any help with this??? Joni

Collapse -
How I capture.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2007 12:58 AM PST

I connect my camcorder with FIREWIRE and run the free program WINDV.

Both words in capital letters defined if you type then into google.com

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.