Samsung forum

General discussion

Video drop-outs ("blinking") on 2010 HDTVs

by koffas / January 4, 2011 12:10 PM PST

I'm experiencing frequent (one to three times a minute) video drop-outs while streaming from my PN58C7000's Netflix app. The drop-outs last only a sec. I have a high-speed FiOS connection, and this behavior began only last month (I've had the set since April 2010).

While I initially suspected poor streaming quality, there are several reports at AVSForums regarding "blinking" with cable/sat STBs and blu-ray sources (the sound continues uninterrupted). This occurs even with the display and source directly connected via HDMI cable (no AVR).

F/w is a commonality between the LED and PDP 6/7/8 series, but I'd appreciate further investigation by engineering -- Samsung phone support is not helpful.

Ref.

AVSForums Discussions
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1231072&page=178
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1251005&page=139
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1240821&page=207
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1300963

At the 8:30 mark in the following video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOp1o_ppo-E

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video drop-outs ("blinking") on 2010 HDTVs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video drop-outs ("blinking") on 2010 HDTVs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Video dropouts (blinking) on un46c8000
by bmwilson6 / January 5, 2011 7:48 AM PST

I'm also experiencing the same issue. I purchased a un46c8000 package three weeks ago, which also included a Samsung c6900 bluray player, a Samsung wireless USB dongle, and the Shrek starter kit that included all four movies in 3D and two pairs of glasses.

Initially we had no problems watching cable tv or 3D movies. Atfer updating to the latest firmware, about ten days ago I began streaming Netflix through the tv's app, and experienced the video "blinking" every 30 to 60 seconds.

I initially assumed it had something to do with my wireless signal, and contacted my ISP, who reported up to 17 mbps download speeds. I contacted Netflix and they reported anywhere from 2-5 mbps speeds when I was streaming movies through the app. I contacted Netgear concerning my new router, and we set everything up to stream at optimal levels. I hard-wired an ethernet line directly from my router. I switched back to my older router. I tried streaming Netflix through my bluray player, with the same results - "blinking" every 30-60 seconds.

We're now dealing with "blinking" when watching blurays and cable tv. They happen less often than it does during Netflix (once or twice an hour), but I tried switching to different hdmi cables just in case - no luck, still there.

As I mentioned on the AVS forum, I can't help but feel like the tv is "thinking" when it blinks - almost like its trying to adjust the picture or something. It lasts about a second, and the audio does not cut out, just as the OP is experiencing. Based on my trial-and-errors, I assume its a problem with the firmware or with the tv itself. I have until the end of January to return the tv, but unless I get see some kind of fix soon, it'll be going back before that.

I've spent countless hours of my Christmas vacation on the phone with Samsung, Netflix, Time Warner and Netgear with no resolution. As you can imagine, everyone thinks its someone else's fault. If I decide to exhange the tv rather than just returning it to get my money back, someone is really going to have to talk me into loading the latest firmware again.

Thanks for starting the conversation here, koffas. I hope we see some sort of resolution. Interesting that its affecting both plasmas and LEDs.

Collapse -
Blinking problems
by bmwilson6 / January 6, 2011 7:13 PM PST

Someone on AVS had a theory that I potentially think holds a lot of water with the Netflix blinking problem:
"If you pay close attention to the movie before and after the drop-outs, you will see a change in the quality of the movie. My assumption is that the app on the TV is not properly handling the change in resolution to compensate for bandwidth changes. As a result, it blanks when the resolution changes."

Can a Samsung tech step in and shed light on whether this could be the problem? If this resolves the streaming issue, why am I still experiencing similar problems through bluray and DVR playback (even if its much less frequent)?

Collapse -
Samsung_HD_Tech At CES - Delayed Responses Likely
by koffas / January 7, 2011 8:42 AM PST
In reply to: Blinking problems

The Samsung rep here is at CES this week, so we'll have to wait for him to return for a response.

Collapse -
Same on LN40C650
by snappity / January 6, 2011 11:02 PM PST

We just got the LN40C650 before the new year, and also got the linkstick. When we first hooked up the Linkstick, it was trying to force an HD quality stream from Netflix (the movie was The Wizard of Oz) but would just drop and rebuffer about every 15 seconds. (Using our Roku -- the original version -- it will do a 4 dot quality, not HD, but never rebuffer, and it works great, so I wasn't concerned with it being a Netflix or home network issue.)

I ran the firmware update to 1032, and it now will stream it's best solid version (in our case, not HD, which is fine) without dropouts, and that is great. BUT, it does do the blinking thing, every half an hour or so. So far, only on Netflix, and not on OTA broadcasts. (We don't have cable and haven't had time to try a DVD since we updated to 1032.)

Collapse -
Hi want to scream
by Coconeta10 / January 28, 2015 2:16 AM PST
In reply to: Same on LN40C650

What a piece of junk Samsung sold to me kids. Got it for my birthday from my kids. They were so excited and so was I. Big screen, great movies, great leisure time. Got it November 2014 and for two weeks now it started the blinking, can't watch tv. I'm so upset. 45 inches of crap and Samsung has no idea what the heck is going on. I'm glad I kept my Sony and didn't gift it. I' m furious, everything I read here is the same complaint over and over with no solution to the consumer from Samsung.

Collapse -
Here in the USA
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2015 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: Hi want to scream

Samsung will send out service for that size sets. I would be guessing you want things to never fail when new (we can chat about that!) or want it fixed without Samsung's techs coming out.

I'm sure you are in some business or such. Let's take a car for example. Just try to have your car dealer fix it over the phone.
Bob

Collapse -
Video drop-outs ("blinking") on 2010 HDTVs
by UncleSpud / January 7, 2011 12:28 AM PST

I have a new un55c8000 led tv (one week old) and have noticed that the screen goes black intermittently for a second when watching hd channels (usually movies) and when streaming hd video (Netflix) from my Samsung BD-C7900 bluray player. This doesn't happen on SD channels or when I'm streaming non-hd video on Netflix.

Are these video "blackouts" my tv is experiencing the video dropouts referenced in this thread? My home wireless network is fast and both the TV and bluray player have the latest firmware updates. BTW, Samsung support told me to reset the TV to cure the problem. I did and it didn't.

Collapse -
Blinking TVs
by bmwilson6 / January 7, 2011 5:41 AM PST

snappity and UncleSpud - yes, those symptoms sound like the same ones I'm experiencing. Its some comfort to know others are dealing with the same problems, and makes me wonder if it truly is just the latest firmware update that's causing the blinking. I'm hoping to have this resolved soon before my "30 days return policy" is up, as I'd rather not take my tv off the wall, re-package it and drive it back to the store, wait five days to get another one from the warehouse, drive out again to go pick it up and set everything up again, only to learn that it had nothing to do with the actual tv and everything to do with the firmware.

If anyone else has experienced similar issues, please post in this thread! Maybe someone from Samsung will hear us and help resolve the situation!

Collapse -
UN46C8000 - same issue
by nofears67 / January 8, 2011 11:34 PM PST

We have had our Samsung 46" LED tv for about three weeks now and have experienced this "blank out" a few times while watching DVR'd shows from our Dish network VIP 722 receiver. The video will go black for about 1 second but the audio is still playing in the background.

We have Auto Motion Plus set to standard.

We haven't noticed this issue while watching live tv or while playing bluerays. We are watching very closely however.

Collapse -
Potential help from Samsung?
by bmwilson6 / January 9, 2011 5:02 AM PST
In reply to: UN46C8000 - same issue

Just logged into Internet@tv and there was an automated message that said, "Dear Samsung Apps User: the service wil be under maintenance from 5pmPST to 7pmPST. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience caused."

Let's hope they're looking into the blinking problems tonight!

Collapse -
Bump
by bmwilson6 / January 10, 2011 12:16 AM PST

Bump for the Samsung Tech, back from his/her trip to CES Wink

Collapse -
Potential help from Samsung?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 13, 2011 10:07 AM PST

bmwilson6,

We were doing some server maintenance, and I apologize for the outage. In the future, I'm trying to get them to do it late night so that you're not inconvenienced during prime time viewing hours.

Was there any change?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Help from Samsung for UN55C8000
by UncleSpud / January 17, 2011 7:59 AM PST

Samsung rep, I'm running out of time and patience. It's clear from all of the posts you've got a problem with most of your HDTVs. Too many of us have ruled out the variables you've referenced as possible causes for "blinking." I've got ten days to get my set back to Best Buy for an exchange, and while I love the set, exchanging it for another Samsung TV seems pointless, since those posting on this topic have had identical problems with your Plasma/LCD/LED sets.

My question: Is Samsung going to acknowledge the problem anytime soon, engineer a fix, and take care of its customers? If you are, I'll keep my set. If not, you'll lose me as a customer.

Please respond quickly, as I need to know soon.

Thank you.

Collapse -
What subject?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2011 8:10 AM PST

The interesting thing about video drops on HDMI is I'm seeing it on all makes. The theory is that HDCP is the reason since component video works fine. There is no sign the industry will fix this anytime soon.
Bob

Collapse -
Help from Samsung for UN55C8000 -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 18, 2011 2:05 AM PST

UncleSpud,

It's clear that I have a few people sharing an issue with the same symptom, and we're not even down to the cause yet. How would I promise a solution to an unknown?

"Most of our HDTVs"? This thread started two weeks ago on a line that ran an entire year from early 2010 to now. I think we have 3 LEDs, 1 LCD and a plasma represented (one of them DVR playback) in a 2-3 week old thread. There have been others - some posts pop up and get solved by switching cables, or reconfiguring devices, or resetting cable/sat boxes, and there are some issues pending. Some replace the TV and that solves it. I have no mathematical probability on causes.

I'm not sure what you're expecting me to solve, but I am not going to declare any sort of acknowledgement without knowing the cause first, and this is not going to be solved in 2-3 business days. You have deadlines, and I respect that. Do what makes you happiest, but I'm afraid I can't offer a promise I can't personally deliver.

The only constant variable is Netflix, and since the buffer bar is gone, it would stand to reason that the blinking is the buffer refreshing - and if that's the case, call Netflix. If it's your blu-ray player, make sure your Blu-Ray player is sending a 24fps signal. Try adjusting the resolution. Toggle xvYCC options if you have them. Swap out your cables. Or... exchange or return the TV.

I'd love to earn your business. But I don't do that by promising something I can't deliver.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Help from Samsung UN55c800
by UncleSpud / January 18, 2011 7:34 AM PST

Samsung Tech,
I appreciate your quick reply and your candor, but I have one last question: if you had spent $2500+ on a new TV and BD player which exhibited this problem (and you had ruled out streaming/cable/equipment issues), would you hang on and hope for a fix or retutn the equipment and start over?

Collapse -
Help from Samsung UN55c800
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 19, 2011 1:22 PM PST

UncleSpud,

Here's the rub with that logic. I would take it back. But I also have the same drop out issues with a CRT and an SD box with my satellite TV. So I'd also take that back, and cancel my service. But it happens so infrequently, it's worth looking past, because it's a hiccup - or "static".

But if it's bothering you to no end, or happens way more frequently than "occasionally", I can see where the tolerance drops and the demands begin. Guys, I buy stuff too. I'm a consumer, and I like quality. I get it.

So I'm at a loss for direction, since one answer may work for some, and not another.

I advocate that people do what's best for them. If you think a fresh start with something else is going to do it, then do it. I'd love to hear the result, so I can follow up with that. Who knows, maybe it is "just us", although I'm not ready to concede that yet. Or it might be.

Bottom line - I want you to be happy. If it's an occasional blank out, that's going to be somewhat a reality with any technology I would imagine. If it's constant or bothersome, take your chances with something else, and then at least have the satisfaction of taking the precaution.

I can't guarantee your satisfaction on this one. I can guarantee to look into issues. And I also guarantee that I have over 100 posts to look at too. I also recognize that if you're stuck with something you don't like, you'll look at the name on it and never buy it again.

That does no good for anybody. I'm sure that's not a normal response from a manufacturer either, particularly on a public board, but I also like to think we're approaching this from the right angle - which is placing you first.

If you think something else will work, give it a shot. That's what I'd do.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Advice needed
by nesbo75 / January 18, 2011 7:47 AM PST

HDTech, Thank you so much for trying to look into this for all of us. In your opinion, should I call Samsung to have them send someone out to look at my UN55C8000 for the blinking? Unfortunately I cannot return mine since I have owned it since it first came out.

What I am worried about is if they come out and replace the board, will something else go wrong due to the repair.

In your professional opinion, is it better to wait to see if a known issue is found, or should I call Samsung for a repair?

Thanks again for your help

Collapse -
Advice needed
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 19, 2011 1:32 PM PST
In reply to: Advice needed

nesbo75,

I can't guess what could go right or wrong on any repair attempt. But just like anything else that is serviced, it's repaired, tested and returned to you in working order. (Usually! I've seen a bit of everything on this board from everybody).

If you're under warranty and receiving any problem, get it repaired under warranty. That's what it's for. I wouldn't sit on any warrante-able service. I'd call it up and get it in. With all due respect, why wouldn't you? If it's not a problem with a part they replaced, they have to do it again.

--HDTech

Collapse -
What feedback have you received?
by bmwilson6 / January 18, 2011 8:39 AM PST

HDTech,

I share UncleSpud's timeline dilemma, unfortunately. Can you update us on what info you've been able to research and pass along to Samsung, as well as any feedback you've received from them in response? I ask because, although I've contacted Samsung directly myself, I hope they'd be willing to listen to your voice as an online ambassador moreso than just my own as a single customer.

Collapse -
What feedback have you received?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 19, 2011 1:43 PM PST

bmwilson6,

I've escalated an alert and talked with some of the fellas in the call center.

The answer I have is that I don't have an answer. I've got little consistency, except for Netflix, which seems to be the buffer or PQ change.

My advice to you would also be the same as what I gave to UncleSpud. If you aren't happy with your product and you have the opportunity to return it for something you think would work better, then that may be the best move for you. I'm not so convinced that this is a Samsung-related problem, but I'm also not willing to gamble with your investment dollars, either.

Funny, the "single customer" voice IS the voice I have, so consider your situation represented. I project and repeat what you say, along with my analysis, too.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Blinking
by john63131 / January 16, 2012 9:05 AM PST

Yep same problem. 3D LED tv that blinks. It is an issue between Netflix and Samsung. Not sure where the problem lies but the wo of them should get together and figure out what isnt compatible.

Collapse -
Blinking
by john63131 / January 16, 2012 9:17 AM PST

Me also. Watching Netflix on a Samsung led 3d tv las constant blinking. Instead of Netflix saying it is a Samsung problem and vice versa why don't you two pick up the phone and figure it out. There is something not compatible between the two!

Collapse -
We've added this to the CNET Networking Forum Sticky
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2012 11:27 AM PST
In reply to: Blinking
Collapse -
UN22D5003 Blinking/Flashing
by crazykid1801 / January 23, 2012 9:37 PM PST

I have a similar issue I believe with a tv I just bought for my girlfriend. From what i've seen/read it is slightly different though:
First of all, I've only noticed it when using our Nintendo Wii with component cables (only have this issue on this tv so its not the cables or the system)
The issue is that randomly (once every couple minutes, sometimes more) the screen will go black (audio cuts out too) for half a second, then it comes back on and it will display the input source info in the top left corner (Component, resolution, refresh rate, and time). This doesn't seem to happen when we are watching regular cable, only when using the component input.
This happens no matter what we're using the wii for also (at the wii menu, playing a game, or streaming netflix).

Collapse -
Just a tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2012 12:14 AM PST

You may want to create a new post when you find some monster 200+ post discussion like this.

Collapse -
Blinking Problem
by materazzi5000 / January 10, 2011 4:10 AM PST

I have had a Samsung 7000 series 3D plasma for two and a half weeks and I've had the blinking problem as well. It happens when using the Netflix app through my Samsung 6900 Blu-Ray player and while watching cable television through a Motorola cable box/dvr connected via HDMI.

I recently reset the Blu-Ray and that might have fixed the Netflix problem but I haven't watched long enough be certain.

The problem with cable tv persists. I have tried two different HDMI cables and two different HDMI ports but no change.

Samsung phone rep told me to make sure the firmware on the cable box is updated. My cable provider assures me that they push out updates automatically. With that said, I don't know why Samsung would be selling tv's that aren't compatable with boxes being used by a major cable provider in the first place.

I have a little more time to return the tv and I will be doing so unless Samsung can tell me why this is happening.

Collapse -
blinking problem with 7000 Plasma
by Kanata22 / January 12, 2011 1:28 AM PST
In reply to: Blinking Problem

I also have a 7000 Plasma. The weird blinking issue only happens periodically when watching a bluray movie (ie it never happens when gaming netflix or watching cable tv so far). When a movie transitions to a scene with a black screen (normally during the credits and title sequences at the beginning of a movie), the TV seems to blink off for a split second before coming back on and displaying the next scene.

I'm not sure what is causing the issue since it only occurs when watching a bluray movie.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 13, 2011 10:12 AM PST

Kanata22,

The screen may go into eco power mode in this situation. Are you losing actual footage of the movie, or is it just dipping down between scenes? If it's the latter, it's designed to run a low power for the viewing screen, and then dim for black screens. But is it blinking during credits?

I know that's part of the ECO solutions for the LEDs. I'll have to check on the plasmas.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by Kanata22 / January 14, 2011 3:01 AM PST

Thanks for the Reply.

I'm not completely sure what you mean by dipping down, but the tv is blinking during credits and for transitions during a movie when the screen goes completely black. Usually its just for a split second and the movie comes back on.

This blinking issue only started happening after I installed the 1032 firmware.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.