Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Video downloads don't work in IE8

by wilsond212 / July 5, 2009 11:41 AM PDT

I've recently downloaded IE8, and find that it downloads any video in the Shockwave format, which I don't use. Is there any way to control the format for video downloads?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video downloads don't work in IE8
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video downloads don't work in IE8
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No...
by John.Wilkinson / July 5, 2009 2:32 PM PDT

Video format is exclusively up to the developer of the website; if they provide multiple formats, you can choose among them, but otherwise you'll have to resort to converting them to the desired format after the fact.

John

P.S. IE8 is fully capable of playing Shockwave videos with the (free) Shockwave plugin installed.

Collapse -
Sorry John.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 6, 2009 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: No...

Didn't see your reply there!

Mark

Collapse -
Not really.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 6, 2009 5:43 AM PDT

Whether downloaded video files or streaming video, (they're not the same), the video type is set by the web site creator.

For example, if I have created a web site with a link to a downloadable video file called MyHoliday.wmv , then whatever browser you use to download it, it will download a .wmv file, not any other file type.

So your problem doesn't seem to be an IE8 problem.

Perhaps you could tell more?

Mark

Collapse -
Video downloads don't work in IE8 -- more info
by wilsond212 / July 6, 2009 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Not really.

Streaming video will download in IE7 as flv format. The same site downloads the same video using IE8 as Shockwave (swf format), which I can't use. My Real Player doesn't seem to play them.

Wilson

Collapse -
Have you installed the Shockwave plugin from Adobe?
by John.Wilkinson / July 6, 2009 8:30 AM PDT

Once installed you can play the videos in your browser.

John

Collapse -
Shockwave plugin
by wilsond212 / July 6, 2009 9:32 AM PDT

I downloaded it, and have run the installer, but it stops after I tell it not to download and install Norton!

Collapse -
What was that message again?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 6, 2009 8:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Shockwave plugin

"it stops after I tell it not to download and install Norton".

I'm not sure what you are saying there.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: What was that message again?
by wilsond212 / July 6, 2009 10:00 PM PDT

What happens is this:
1. I click on the icon on my desktop for Shockwave_Installer_Slim.exe and run the program.
2. The program runs for 10-15 seconds, and appears to be installing the Shockwave program.
3. A pop-up screen appears offering to download Norton for free. I don't want the program, because McAfee is already installed, so I uncheck the box to download Norton, and click on "next".
4. The next screen says "successfully completed", with no further links. There's nothing more about running Shockwave, no additional icon on my desktop, and Real Player still won't play the Shockwave files.

Collapse -
That's normal...
by John.Wilkinson / July 6, 2009 11:34 PM PDT

There is nothing more to it than that; The Shockwave plugin is a plugin, not a full application. And as we stated previously, it is a plugin for your browser, not Real Player. Try playing the Shockwave video in your browser and see if it works.

John

Collapse -
Re: That's normal...
by wilsond212 / July 7, 2009 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: That's normal...

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my earlier posts. Here's the difference in actions between IE7 and IE8.

Using IE7:
I would go to a website and, when I found a video that I wanted to keep, I would right-click on the video while it is running. The last item on the menu was "Download This Video to Real Player". The file was then downloaded as a Flash file, with the extension "flv". Clicking on the "flv" file plays it in Real Player.

Using IE8:
When I go to a website and find a video that I want to keep, I right-click on the video while it is running. The last item on the menu was "Download This Video to Real Player". However, now two files are downloaded, one as a small "metafile" with a "meta" extension, and the other as a Shockwave "Flash Object" with the extension "swf". I cannot play the video by clicking either of these two files. The swf files are usually less than 50KB, in contrast to the flv files which are much larger.

Wilson

Collapse -
I understand the difference...
by John.Wilkinson / July 7, 2009 10:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: That's normal...

But the website, not the browser, determines the file that is downloaded. (The website may check operating system, browser, et cetera information to determine which to send you, but it is ultimately the site's decision.) If you want an FLV file instead of a SWF file, you can contact the site's webmaster. However, you can still play the SWF in your browser as long as the Shockwave plugin is installed. Your choice.

John

Collapse -
flv vs swf
by beckykanokinney / July 23, 2009 10:29 PM PDT

When flv video is delivered over the web, it usually targets a video player created in Flash, which is the swf file. However, the flv is not contained in the swf. It stands off to the side, and the player loads it in. So, if you choose to play your flv in Real Player (I would NEVER make that choice myself, but that's another issue) it is probably the browser and not the author offering that option. What IE is apparently trying to do is make it possible for you to play the flv in a swf player. Why it would do that when the button specifies Real I have no idea. It is probably just being stupid, and downloading the file it sees rather than the actual video.

Just to make things more confusing, there are two types of flv delivery that may be in play. Streaming, and Progressive Download. In the latter case, the full flv is out there waiting to be grabbed on the server somewhere and you can often track it down by snooping the html on the video's html page. When it is streaming, the flv is being delivered piecemeal from a streaming server, and you won't have a way to access the full file. Both Real and Flash can play streaming video, so you won't see the difference when the browser is doing the right thing.

One final note. swf plays in the Flash plugin, which is different from the Shockwave plugin. Shockwave used to play both Flash and Director content, but I don't know whether Adobe has kept it up to date for the more recent versions of Flash. The name Shockwave should never have been apart of the SWF acronym, and officially I don't think it is, but old habits die hard.

Collapse -
Enable back FLV download Youtube - realplayer
by gemstoneblue / August 9, 2009 5:08 PM PDT

TURN OFF IE8 Popup blocker:

go to Tools>Pop-up Blocker>Turn off Pop-up Blocker. restart IE8.. then youtube flvs can be downloaded as normal.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.