Laptops forum

Question

Video download speed

by flyangler / December 7, 2011 11:47 PM PST

What feature(s) in a computer should I include to maximize speeds at which videos can be downloaded? Also, how can I test the speeds of my isp, wireless router, and computer?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video download speed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video download speed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: video download speeds
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 8, 2011 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: Video download speed

There's no special thing about downloading video's compared with other downloads. So any INTERNET SPEED TEST (Google that) will do. it's being said by some that our own CNET speed test isn't so accurate, so better try a few, a few others maybe.

The limiting factor is either the speed your ISP offers (that's what you pay for, say 8Mbit = 1 Mbyte per second for ADSL or 120 Mbit = 15 MByte per second for the cable, even higher for glass fiber) or the speed your ISP receives the data via the Internet from whoever that sends it.
You can't influence the second. You might be able to influence the first by paying more or switching providers.

Finally, a wireless G-router is 54 Mbit/second, a wireless N-router more than doubles that. A wired connection is either 100 Mbit/second or 1000 Mbit/second (socalled Gigabit Ethernet), depending on the hardware you use on both sides.

Kees

Collapse -
video download speeds
by flyangler / December 8, 2011 1:12 AM PST

Thanks - yes, I meant that it is with video downloads that it is most obvious and distracting. For some reason the slower speed is less annoying for other downloads. At my location, the fastest connection is 1.5 Mbps DSL. So, that brings up one of the other questions - might it be my computer and if I'm going to get another one, what should I be looking for re: video card or memory "speed" (capacity)? My router is 8 years old - 2.4 GHz (802.11).

Collapse -
Re: connection
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 8, 2011 5:33 PM PST
In reply to: video download speeds

If your connection is 1.5 Mbps, that's the limiting factor. Video card or amount of RAM don't make any difference. If nothing faster is possible where you live now, you just have to got to learn with this speed (slowness) or move.

Kees

Collapse -
Download speeds
by flyangler / December 8, 2011 9:45 PM PST
In reply to: Re: connection

Thanks, very helpful.

Collapse -
Answer
Well just make sure you have the
by orlbuckeye / February 15, 2012 6:51 PM PST

latest drivers for your router. Also make sure the firmware is up to date. It should tell you how to do this in the routers documentation. If you live in an apartment it coulld be slower since you share bandwidth with others. There are many utilities to test your speed. You can see what your connection speed by going to Network and Sharing center under Control Panel. If you have a N router it should be at least 54 MBPS. Wireless N advertises up to 300 MBPS and now they have 450 MBPS but you need a wireless card and router thats capable.

Collapse -
Answer
Try this
by orlbuckeye / February 15, 2012 6:53 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.