Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Video Controller(VGA Compatible)

by pebo94 / January 27, 2005 9:54 AM PST

My computer is Gateway Intel Pentium 11, 299Mhz,256mb.I recently installed XP-PRO and in device manager, there is one ? sign under other devices (video controller) I belive if i had the mother board cd all would be well. Not knowing what the exact name of this unboard video controller is i am not sure how to find the driver. I also notice at log off my "standby" icon is faded. can any one help????

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video Controller(VGA Compatible)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video Controller(VGA Compatible)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pebo
by roddy32 / January 27, 2005 10:22 AM PST
Collapse -
I follwed your instruction
by pebo94 / January 27, 2005 11:09 AM PST
In reply to: Pebo

Nice little software but under display it stated "non detected" I assume VGA has something to do with video display

Collapse -
Drivers
by SylentStar / January 27, 2005 10:25 AM PST

Video Controller(VGA Compatible)

Do not try to install the drivers for "Video Controller(VGA Compatible)". It is already detected.

The problem is I think: "Video Controller(VGA Compatible)" is trying to communicate with another device. So, install all your drivers, one by one. [Graphics card, capture card, webcam, etc...]
Reboot when you install the drivers, check in Device Manager if it is correctly detected, then the next drivers, etc...
Personally, when all the drivers required are installed on my computer, ""Video Controller(VGA Compatible)and the ? sign" disappears.
I know, there's always an exception!
Not you I hope.
Happy

Collapse -
Video Controller(VGA Compatible) Drivers
by pebo94 / January 27, 2005 11:18 AM PST
In reply to: Drivers

I appreciate your input.The problem is i assume that i have a problem whenever there is a question sign and the only question sign is under VGA. Secondly i do not have a CD to reinstall the other drivers one by one.

Collapse -
Video card
by SylentStar / January 27, 2005 11:55 AM PST

The problem is I assume that I have a problem whenever there is a question sign and the only question sign is under VGA.
under display it stated "non detected (Video Card ; usually)

For now, try to find which video card you have <--- VERY IMPORTANT
In DEVICE MANAGER, check for "Display Adapters".
You see something?

Look inside your computer. Check each PCI slots, and the VGA slot.
Which components are installed there? The video card is there?
If your video card is in the motherboard... Sad

####

Same ? mark even if the video card is correctly detected.

A webcam is plugged into an USB port, something else?
You absolutely need to find the drivers for the device(s) not correctly detected.

The problem is simple in fact.
Your computer is telling you: "I detect something but I cannot communicate with the device" (? mark)

YOU FORGOT to find the drivers FIRST for XP, then you upgrade.

Jesus. Devil

Collapse -
Windows XP won't recog. my Video card either ?
by toucanvet / February 24, 2005 5:48 PM PST

I have a Dell demension with intel pent. 3
was running windows 98 -> upgraded to XP -> clean install. now Xp won't rec. my video card. I contacted the card manf. Matrox => they won't tell me anything because the card came with the machine. and Dell says they don't have any info on it. and Microsoft says i should contact the card manf. or Dell. All I really want to know is will XP support this card ? or do I need a new card. the card is a Matrox MGA AND THAT'S ABOUT ALL I CAN FIGURE OUT.
Tia,
BEN

Collapse -
Have you gone to the Dell web site?
by glb613 / February 24, 2005 6:55 PM PST

Did you find out if your system is compatible with XP prior to upgrading? Your hardware may not work or have updated drivers.

I've owned several Dell computers and there is always drivers available for download at the web site. Enter your service tag number and find the drivers.

Collapse -
VGA Controller
by solly90 / February 27, 2006 6:24 PM PST

Hi Ben,

I've been looking on this forum as I too have been having the same problem that you were having with your video controller (VGA compatible) a while ago. I was running Windows ME and recently upgraded to Windows XP Pro. When I reboot my system it recognises the new hardware but cannot locate the driver for it. Unfortunately, I can't figure out what the graphics card is, as when I search under adapters is says unknown. I cannot play DVDs and the screen is scrolling very slowly. It's pretty much the exact same problem you were having. I was just wondering if you managed to sort out the problem before, and if so, how?

cheers

Dan

Collapse -
vga video controller
by vishy5592 / April 5, 2005 9:14 PM PDT

i hav the same faded icon and crolling problem
i've got my own website and put it on there
message me back on vishy5592@gmail.com
thanks
if u hav fixed the problem tell me how u do

Collapse -
hi
by spideroh2 / September 13, 2008 12:57 AM PDT
In reply to: vga video controller

hi do you think you could email me the solution that you got if you have got one as i am haveing the same problem ty my email is the_magic_master@live.co.uk

Collapse -
after 3 and half years.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2008 1:08 AM PDT
In reply to: hi

It is unlikely they will do such. The issue and maybe the machine is long gone.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.