Windows Legacy OS forum

Resolved Question

Video Choppy with broadband, .need new video card?

by budbd / March 23, 2013 3:23 PM PDT

My old computer, a 2004 Dell Dimension 4600 2.8 ghz, I put in a year and a half ago an 450 watt power supply, and several months ago I installed a newer unused 160gb hard drive and upgraded to 2.5 gb ram expandable to 4gb, and I had problems getting it to get on high speed internet, never used this computer for high speed internet like the newer one.
Anyway, I don'g have but onboard built in graphics card, the video on you tube and elsewhere is choppy, uneven, not like the smooth running on my new computer.

I surmize it needs a video card? capable of handling streaming video? Or is it this old computer is too old to handle streaming video properly. Maybe more ram? I mean, I would like to put the old computer in my living room to easily check out video based content, which is close to my kitchen, its pretty much worthless for that right now, doesn't make any sense to me, toher than obsolet viedo graphics. .

budbd has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video Choppy with broadband, .need new video card?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video Choppy with broadband, .need new video card?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by budbd

Collapse -
More than likely
by Jimmy Greystone / March 23, 2013 11:46 PM PDT

More than likely, it's your old P4 CPU that's not up to the task. Video decoding is primarily CPU intensive, and these days it's pretty much assumed everyone has at least a dual core CPU.

A new video card MIGHT help if you get one that's capable of doing hardware video decoding with Flash, but given that unit probably doesn't have anything more than PCI and AGP slots, you're going to be very limited in selection for video cards.

Personally, I wouldn't waste the money on a computer that old. Take whatever you were going to spend on a video card for this old computer, and get one of those set-top boxes everyone is making now days. Western Digital has something, there's the Roku, and probably at least a dozen more. You walk through a big box electronics store and you should see plenty of options. Several of them can stream content from YouTube and Hulu, along with some other sites, and you'll save a decent chunk of change on your utility bill that way too, plus they're a lot closer to "instant on" compared to an old clunker desktop from 2004.

Collapse -
Yeah, I have a new computer already...
by budbd / March 24, 2013 2:36 AM PDT
In reply to: More than likely

Yeah, I already have a new desktop Gateway Acer with hdmi I bought in late November, but so far I only fout $45 extra in the old computer, and of course its nice to have a backup computer or one I can view suspiscious content, I mean, something go onto my newer computer twice, finally figured out the brand new Norton antivirus was no good, I really know win xp real well, and I actually own all the discs for reinstallation and such, I need to order the backup discs from gateway, $20, I no longer trust to use the 16 bg chip they encourage to buy, who knows, maybe something is on the new computer I don't know of, eh.

Oh, I do have a Pentium 4 on the old computer, I did erase the browsing history, helped somewhat. See, the big problem is that I have a nice older workhorse HP 6mp lazer printer with two unopened toner cartridges, and I like to print alot of stuff due to migraines, its hard for me to stare at computer screens, its a migraine trigger, eye strain and such, and the old printer uses a parallel port, and the old p4 system has a parallel port, its that simple. I print out sometimes hundreds of pages at a time to read, I got enough lazer jet 6mp supplies to last me like almost ten thousand more pages of print, I don't want to lose that. Now, the viewing of videos, I know, its really stretching it for that old computer.

I did decide that if I got a 10/100/1000 ethernet port and a better video card, things could be possibly better or cleared up, or the router thing, I don't have any other wi fi devices other than a kindle reader in the home, but it has 3g wireless, but the wifi thing, I haven't owned one of those before, I have both computer sitting side by side, I am unsure if I can just plug in both computers via ethernet cables to a router, with an improved ethernet card at 1000, or forget the new ethernet card and just get a router, a usb transmitter plug in.

Yeah, I just hate wasting more money, as it is now, I can print anyway, and if my new computer goes down, I have the spare ready to go in case I have an ebay auction going or such, my main fear. Was gonna use the old computer as a dvr, I used to record tv shows if I had to watch something else in another room, its better than vhs tape, ya know.

Ah well, I have learned a thing or two, wished I could just throw money around if I could afford it for a high end agp card and improved ethernet card, probably already need the router stuff anyway.

Collapse -
figured out what to get
by budbd / March 26, 2013 7:11 PM PDT

Okay, just in case anyone else reads this, I figured out I don't need more than the 10/100 Ethernet port on my old computer, most routers only do 100, and my old video built in is the culprit, so I bought a 8x agp Geforce 6200 512mb card for my agp slot, that will fix my choppy video, most likely. I decided to max out my memory to 4gb by purchasing a pair of 1gb pc2700 memory sticks, 2gb more than I had, well, I have till the upgrade 2x1gb card and two 512 mb cards, now I'll have four 512mb cards pc2700 I'll likely sell for a few bucks.

Come to find out, from reading reviews, that choppy video is most often all about low video card abilities. I really feel the simple Pentium 4 processor will be up to the task, I really hope, but I may or may not if it don't try to get a used hyperthreading virtual dual core processor for an upgrade if it don't.

Collapse -
Cool !
by itsdigger / March 26, 2013 8:17 PM PDT

I'm with you ! I't would be easy to just put the old Dell out to pasture but I did the same thing your doing. I put in a new GPU, RAM, a wireless internet adapter , new thermal compound and it really perked up the ol' workhorse and I had fun doing it. Heck I even hooked up a 32in. monitor. I had fun with it and it paid off. I use the old Desktop all the time and hardly ever fire up my Toshiba Qosmio which is pretty racy. Good fo you and Enjoy your New Machine,,,Digger

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.