PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Video Card For Asrock Motherboard

by jtplenge / August 25, 2009 10:58 AM PDT

Hi folks,

I have a PC using an Asrock 4coredual SATA2 motherboard and am looking for an upgrade to my video card. Asrock?s website lists several video cards which they claim they support and claim are compatible with this board, unfortunately the majority appear to have been discontinued. Is buying a video card that the motherboard manufacturer supports or states is compatible very important or is it safe to assume that most video cards will work? I?ve never heard of this being an issue before, but a lot has changed since the last time I shopped for a video card ? I?m still using an NVIDIA GeForce 2 card that I bought in 2001. Can someone tell me whether buying from the motherboard manufacturer?s ?compatible list? is a big concern or not? Also, where can I go to get a quick tutorial on what the various features I?m reading about are?

Thanks

John Plenge

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video Card For Asrock Motherboard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video Card For Asrock Motherboard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this the list.. (see link below).?
by VAPCMD / August 25, 2009 12:28 PM PDT
Collapse -
That's the list
by jtplenge / August 26, 2009 10:11 AM PDT

I've copy/pasted several of the names on this list into Google and into the search window of places like NewEgg and Amazon and haven't found any matches. I realize many of these chipsets are still in production and cards with them are currently being sold, but I was looking for the exact model listed as supported by Asrock. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I'm trying to avoid making any purchases until I can be fairly certain what I buy will work. I'm suspecting that many, if not all, of the cards currently being sold will work, but I'd rather make sure before spending any money and being stuck.

Thanks.

John Plenge

Collapse -
Here are some that generally match...
by VAPCMD / August 26, 2009 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: That's the list
Collapse -
Looking on NewEgg now
by jtplenge / August 26, 2009 11:31 AM PDT

Thanks. I was leaning toward a Radeon because I had heard somewhere that NVIDIA cards might have some kind of conflict with this board. I'm trying to avoid upgrading my power supply so I'll watch for that in the specs. I'm looking at an HD 4670 on newegg right now that may do the job since I don't need the absolute latest and greatest. I noticed there isn't a 4600 series card on the supported list. Is there any reason to think it wouldn't work?

Collapse -
Any of them should be fine assuming they fit physically..esp
by VAPCMD / August 27, 2009 9:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Looking on NewEgg now

the length. They mfgs provide the dimensions and PSU requirements.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Small Problem
by jtplenge / August 27, 2009 10:36 AM PDT

Thanks for all the help, but I've run into a snag. Someone in another forum pointed out that the motherboard has two video slots, one AGP and the other PCIE x4, and PCIE x16 cards won't fit into an x4 slot, so it looks like I have to either get an AGP card or get another motherboard (which I'd rather not at this time). I'm currently running a 2001-vintage Geforce 2 card, so just about anything currently being sold would be a quantum leap in performance. The answer may be to get a fairly cheap AGP card and, in a few years, upgrade both motherboard and card together. I did see an adapter that allows PCIE x16 cards to plug into an x4 slot, but it raises the height of the card a bit and we start running into problems with the topmost port on the card being obstructed by part of the case. Also, the card only runs at X4 speed, although it would be usable in a newer motherboard in a few years.

Collapse -
Re the PCIe... X16 slots are the same size but not.
by VAPCMD / August 27, 2009 12:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Small Problem

the same speed performance. See link below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#Hardware_protocol_summary

From the information found at the site above, it reaffirms my experience which is that PCIe slots can be 'full size physically' but only perform at 8X or even 4X. Your MB appears to have an X16 size slot which may only by 'wired for 4X performance'. And based on the list of recommended video cards for your ASRock MB ... assuming your PSU is robust enough, you CAN use almost any PCIe 16X card in the 16X size slot but it will only run at 4X. No adapter required.

To confirm this I took an ASRock 775Dual-VSTA MB that I bought to use as a bench board. It has an AGP 8X and a PCIe X16 size slot. Like your MB my PCIe slot is full size but only runs 4X .. and I just put a VisionTek Radeon HD 2600 PRO X16 card and it works as expected. Doubt it's working at full speed (16X) but it does fit in the slot and it clearly works .. probably at 4X. If you read about MBs as some of us here do, you'll find there are many MBs out there that have 2 or even 3 PCIe X16 (full size ) slots but they don't all run at X16.

RE AGP...here are some alternatives.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048%201069609639&name=AGP%204X%2f8X

Now the question which is the better buy for today and tomorrow .. that's one choice only you can make.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Thanks for the Info
by jtplenge / August 30, 2009 10:02 AM PDT

I haven't had a chance to look at the forums for a few days and saw your post a few minutes ago. I had noticed that the slot on my board was the same length as an x16 slot and called Asrock's tech support to confirm that I could put an x16 card in the slot without problems. Their tech support rep also told me that I should be OK if I use nearly any card with the same chipset as one on the supported list, just make sure my BIOS is upgraded to the same version listed on the list and that I have the same driver version listed.

Again thanks.

John Plenge

Collapse -
(NT) Ok...let us know how it turns out.
by VAPCMD / August 30, 2009 10:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the Info
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.