PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Video Card for 3 monitors

by djweber / August 23, 2006 2:57 AM PDT

Hi, I have a 1 month old Dell E510 running Windows XP Home on a Pent. D 2.8 chip and 2 GB of RAM. My current video card as listed on the computer is the RADEON X300 SE 128MB HyperMemory (listed on Packing Slip as 128MB ATI Hyper Mem PCI-E X16 X300SE, DIM).

I run trading applications, strictly 2D, no gaming and need to add a 3rd monitor. I need speed and clarity in a video card but not a lot of bells and whistles. I currently run 2 monitors and connect one via the digital (white) connector and one via the analog (blue) connector (the digital is a bit crisper on text). I was told when I bought the system I could run only 1 monitor w/ the 2 card options offered so I got the cheapest, planning to replace it. That was false, I can run 2, but don't know how to run any more.

So my question: Could anyone suggest a good video card that will allow me to run a total of 3 monitors without breaking the bank?

Oh, all my monitors are the Dell 1907FPC.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video Card for 3 monitors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video Card for 3 monitors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You have 2 now?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 3:28 AM PDT

If a desktop, almost any PCI card will do. Try Newegg.com and some PCI FX5200 card. Should be cheap.

Bob

Collapse -
you'll need a 2nd graphic card
by aganima / August 23, 2006 3:30 AM PDT

you can easily add a 2nd graphic card (most likely a PCI one, depending on your current hardware configuration) which would cost you around $40 or more.
I have almost the same configurations setup at my home pc.
I have a radeon DVI (dual output) AGP graphics (128Mb) card and my older radeon (64Mb) PCI graphics card, both installed in one machine and have 3 monitors running off of 'em.
check out pricewatch.com, you'll probably find some really good deals there...

Collapse -
Yes, I'm running 2 monitors now...
by djweber / August 23, 2006 3:42 AM PDT

off of 1 video card.

So I can just add an additonal one, eh? The mouse arrow will just flow from one screen to the next...I can set up the monitor order just like when I added the 2nd monitor? The computer treats 2 cards like it just has one?

I thought I'd need one card designed for 3 monitors.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Get another card!
by mike818181 / August 23, 2006 4:06 AM PDT

Join the club. I run trading app and have a three monitor setup.

Here's my config:

1. One monitor hooked to the VGA slot on the MoBo (Intel Graphics - 128MB Shared DRAM).

2. Two monitors on a Norwood Micro (ATI Chipset, 256MB RAM) card I picked for 20$ from CompUSA (One VGA / one DVI)

Make sure you set the MoBo monitor as the primary... for some reason, setting either of the monitors hooked to Norwood gave me problems.

Good luck and Happy trading! Happy

Collapse -
Another option...
by GeeBee / August 24, 2006 12:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
you should be able to reactivate your built-in video
by ramarc / August 24, 2006 4:15 AM PDT

the e510 has intel integrated graphics. i can't find any specifics on your bios, but here are the basic steps:

1) download the drivers from dell or intel
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=DIMENSION%205150/E510&os=WW1&osl=EN#
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=N&ProductID=2102&DwnldID=10302&strOSs=44&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20Professional&lang=eng
2) connect your 2nd monitor to the onboard video port (above your rear usb ports)
3) go into your bios and enable the onboard video; both monitors should be active when you reboot
4) install the intel graphics drivers
5) configure the monitors as primary/secondary and then add your third monitor to your PC.

Collapse -
Just a note .....
by billzhills / August 25, 2006 2:40 AM PDT

On board video is automatically disabled on some MB's if APG card is added.

Bill

Collapse -
Are AGP Cards still used?
by TomBrooklyn / June 4, 2011 7:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a note .....

Are AGP cards still used on the latest systems?

Collapse -
Rare but since no latest systems have AGP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2011 2:55 AM PDT

I can write that AGP cards still used on the some systems. If you look to when the last AGP board came out, you would have to tell us if systems with AGP are what you call "latest."
Bob

Collapse -
Looking to do exactly this
by Ofrost / January 20, 2007 4:15 AM PST

But Dell is telling me that i cannot run the internal driver and the video card at the same time.....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.