TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Video/Audio extender question

by GavinR98 / June 5, 2013 7:12 AM PDT

Hello,

I hope someone can help with this question. We have a cat5 to VGA balun and it connects to a HDTV which works great (this is used for presentations). I was asked to have two connections hooked up so that someone at the head of the conference table could use it and someone at the tail end of the conference table could use it. My question is, what would you recommend I use to get this working. I have tried to use a regular vga splitter and the picture quality is awful. I am not sure the best way to do this so any help would be appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video/Audio extender question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video/Audio extender question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
VGA is analog
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2013 7:44 AM PDT

So it's bound to degrade over distance. Did you look into non-balun solutions? HDMI?
Bob

Collapse -
Full digital method.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2013 8:39 AM PDT
In reply to: VGA is analog
Collapse -
Another all digital method we used.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2013 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Full digital method.

We use another method for a world wide screen show. We install VNC (too many version out there so take a look) and a second PC where it's needed.
Bob

Collapse -
vga is analogue
by GavinR98 / June 5, 2013 9:18 AM PDT
In reply to: VGA is analog

The problem is the cables were run before we installed the conference table and getting any new cables through the conduit is not possible due to the size, this is why we did rj45.

Collapse -
Then other VGA over RJ45 is up next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2013 9:48 AM PDT
In reply to: vga is analogue
Collapse -
Then other VGA over RJ45 is up next
by GavinR98 / June 5, 2013 10:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
That's no balun.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2013 11:30 AM PDT

Sewell is usually pretty good and works. Time to call them.

Collapse -
VGA Switch
by sunwatcher / June 5, 2013 8:35 AM PDT

Is there a problem with video quality with both connections when using the VGA splitter? Does the video look okay on both connections with the splitter out of the equation? If so, then you should try using a VGA switch instead of a splitter.

As was mentioned, the use of a balun might cause video quality to suffer over a long distance. You might want to consider using an alternate method for getting video to your monitor from the switch (e.g. wireless VGA adapters)

Collapse -
VGA Switch
by GavinR98 / June 5, 2013 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: VGA Switch

When using the connection without the splitter the quality is perfect, it only gets blurry when I use the splitter. I will look into a VGA switch to see if that will help. I have a balun that works up to 300 feet so the distance is fine. I have also looked into a wireless adapter and the quality was not very good on the 3D HDTV, I do however use it on another conference room and it works great but for this room I need another solution. I do think that is does have something to do with the balun as I can do the same setup on another TV with no balun using the same splitter and the quality is fine.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.