TVs & Home Theaters forum

VHS to DVD equipment/hardware

by nameless-1-25331271453625478493303492642027 / July 7, 2013 1:45 AM PDT

Hello 2 all,

I don't know if I posted this thread in the right place as I am new here. If I posted wrong, please (admin) move it were it belongs.

I've got some questions for the professionals and for the people that have experience in this kind of stuff.
So here it goes:

I want to transfer VHS tapes to DVD.

1. What's the best/one of the best (by best I mean to achieve the best quality) hardware/equipment to do that ?

From what I've searched on the internet there are a couple of ways to do it:

a. VHS/DVD recorder combo
From what I've red this is the easiest way to do it. But some of the people that used it complained about the quality of the DVDs.However, I know that some people expect their converted DVDs to be HD-like quality, so I don't know if the ones that gave bad reviews complained about something serious or about something that is imposible to achieve in the first place.
Also others complained that their VHS/DVD recorders didn't have TBC, so their DVDs had poor quality.

b. VHS player -> TBC -> DVD Recorder
I've red that hooking up your VHS player directly to your DVD recorder won't create good quality DVDs, but if you put a time base corrector between them, you will get good results.

c. VHS player -> Camcorder -> DVD Recorder / PC
Another option i found would be to connect your VHS player to your camcorder and your camcorder to your PC or DVD recorder.

d. VHS player -> Capture Card -> PC
And the last option that I've found would be to connect your VHS player to your PC.However here are two options:
d.1. capture card that you put in your desktop
d.2. USB DVD recorder (for example Dazzle, Roxio etc.)

If there are better ways to transfer VHS to DVD please tell me. If not which of these will give the best quality end result. PLEASE select them from best to worst, for example : In my opinion C A B D1 D2 ; C being the best quality end result and D2 being worst than the others.

2. From what I've searched on the internet one of the best way would be to buy a good capture card, connect your vhs player to your PC and then edit(improve) your video with some good software and then burn it to a DVD. However this takes a lot of time in comparison with popping in a VHS and a blank DVD in your VHS/DVD recorder.
Will the quality of the video between those 2 be noticeable by the normal everyday user ? Or will the differences be noticed only by a pro ? Because i saw a couple of VHS/DVD recorders (I don't know if they have TBC or not) that have very many positive reviews.

I have almost no experience in this field so please try to explain it to me as you would to a child Grin

Thanks in advance!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VHS to DVD equipment/hardware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VHS to DVD equipment/hardware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
I use one of these.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2013 2:06 AM PDT

I won't duplicate prior discussions and while I see your questions, they have been covered in prior discussions so I think you my feel shortchanged.

1. Involving a PC on the capture step usually means about 6 hours of work for each hour of video output.
2. The device I use (link above) has other models out today and I capture to the hard drive then snip it with the rudimentary editor then dub that to DVD in a less than 2 to 1 time investment.

As to quality I don't want to upset you but it's not HD on that tape and you find folk griping about the ratty old video on the 60 inch screen. Go figure,
Collapse -
by nameless-1-25331271453625478493303492642027 / July 7, 2013 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: I use one of these.

Sorry if I posted the same questions that have already been covered.

1. If I really spend this much time editing the videos, how much better quality will the videos have ? I mean will it be 10%-20% improved or 40%-50% better than the DVD video made with a VHS/DVD recorder ?

2. So a safe bet would be to transfer it to a HDD DVD recorder then edit it and then burn it to a DVD ?

I know that the quality of VHS is poor. That's what I said, that I don't understand the people who get upset when the end DVD isn't what they thought it would. They don't understand that you just CAN'T get better quality on the DVD than the original quality of the VHS tape.
I'm just trying to get the same quality transferred from the VHS on a DVD.

Collapse -
1. You would have to judge that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2013 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply

2. That's my method and it came after trying almost all the other setups and systems.

As to folk getting upset, many want same as the tape quality but it SHALL suffer generational loss. This is like some rule that you can't change. It's pretty good but some folk just don't get it. It's not as bad as some systems (when I use the noted device above) but then you play it on a 60 inch screen and VHS tape shows all the reasons why we saw the end of that.

Collapse -

Thank you for the useful info!

Collapse -
Becoming a very common question
by mjd420nova / July 8, 2013 6:22 AM PDT

I have used two different composite video capture cards in a PC and transposed 250 hours of VHS tapes. I've tried a USB device and transposed another 500 hours of VHS-C tapes.Once in a video file I can the edit, splice, whatever, assemble in order and burn to a DVD. I have a Funai VHS/DVD recorder unit that makes direct copies of 2 hour tapes. Once on a DVD, things can be loaded, edited and reburned. I used the VHS-C camcorder with live video feed (composite) to the PC while viewing a telecine and 8MM projector. Sixty years old and the may have made their final pass through a projector but they will not be lost. The best method?? Each PC is very unique and each card, regardless of the mfgr, might prove problematic. USB devices can provide an alternate path to record media. A device that can manipulate an HDMI input and output same is along the lines of of a studio console and runs big, big bucks.

Collapse -
what do you think ?

would I get good quality if I connect a JVC S-VHS HR-S9500E Videorecorder (with TBC) to a USB capture device (S-Video) and then run the video through some software like virtualdub ?

what do you think ? do you have any (good/bad) experience/reviews with/about the JVC HR-S9500E ?

thanks in advance!

Collapse -
Iffy solution
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2013 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: what do you think ?

If you read about those USB video capture devices you find most complaints are about getting it to work and then gripes about quality.

Devices like the DVDR3576H remove headaches and time multipliers you get with a pure PC based system.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.