TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

VGA to HDMI adapter

by hyghwayman / February 8, 2007 6:01 AM PST

Hi Everyone,
I wondering if anyone has ever heard of or know if there is such a thing that would enable me to hook up a Xbox 360 to a HDTV w/ only HDMI?
It appears microsoft only has a VGA cable for HD out of the 360. NO DVI or HDMI and my HDTV only has HDMI.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VGA to HDMI adapter
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VGA to HDMI adapter
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by ..ben / February 8, 2007 7:15 AM PST
In reply to: VGA to HDMI adapter

My Mac mini came with a DVI Male-to-VGA Female adapter, so if you can find a DVI Female-to-VGA Female adapter, then you just need a DVI M-to-HDMI cable (which are very easy to come by, and your Xbox VGA cable. Otherwise, you'll need to use entire cables in place of the adapter.

I would send e-mail inquiries to and

Collapse -
NO adapter, but a $169 converter box.
by jcrobso / February 8, 2007 11:56 PM PST
In reply to: VGA to HDMI adapter

VGA is analog, DVI and HDMI are digital.
DVI can carry analog and digital at the same time, which is why you can use a DVI to VGA adapter. The adapter just uses the analog part of the
DVI connector.
The one at this link should do the job. John

Collapse -
wow ,
by hyghwayman / February 9, 2007 12:47 AM PST

Thanks John!!!

Collapse -
If you haven't already purchased one there is another choice
by clancykev / February 19, 2008 2:14 AM PST
In reply to: wow ,
Collapse -
VGA to HDMI Converter
by mkhain / April 10, 2008 6:34 AM PDT

Atlona Technologies has just released a product that has a VGA input and audio input ( optical or mini stereo ) and hdmi output. The difference between other products is that the Atlona unit has a built-in scaler, which means that you would not have to adjust your video card to native resolution of the TV in order to get video. The Atlona box will scale anything that is being sent from laptop or desktop to HDMI and you can select the resolution that you want out of 20 available.

You can also use it with X-Box to scale vga to hdmi and output 1080p

There are 2 models: AT-HD500 and AT-HD510VGA

The AT-HD510VGA has a local VGA output so that if you are using a desktop then you can still have a local monitor working.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.