TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

VGA to HDMI?

by OrionOmega / July 30, 2008 1:49 PM PDT

Hi, like a week ago a bought an Panasonic TH-42PX80U, but when I connect the coaxial cable, the image quality is terible, but when I use the SD Card, the image quality is great. So, I belive is than the coaxial cable image quality transfe is bad. My cable box only has RCA, Coaxial and VGA output. So I looked on eBay, and I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-HDMI-Male-to-VGA-HD-15-Male-Cable-1-8-Meters_W0QQitemZ120287798546QQihZ002QQcategoryZ149974QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And my question is:

If VGA output is analog, and the HDMI input is digital. Will it work?

Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VGA to HDMI?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VGA to HDMI?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Whether it works or not is unimportant...
by ahtoi / July 30, 2008 6:35 PM PDT
In reply to: VGA to HDMI?

you are not going to hi-def from that cable box regardless.

Collapse -
The cable is a scam!!!
by jcrobso / July 31, 2008 7:12 AM PDT

VGA & component are analog! HDMI & DVI are digital!
Note the shipper is in Hong Kong. John

Collapse -
Thanks
by OrionOmega / July 31, 2008 12:14 PM PDT
In reply to: The cable is a scam!!!

Thanks, I almost bought the cable.

P.S. I called my cable provider, and without any charges, they're going to change my cable box for a DVR cable box Happy

Collapse -
DVR cable box
by Dan Filice / July 31, 2008 3:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

There are standard-def DVR cable boxes and High-Def DVR cable boxes. Unless you get the HD one and subscribe to HD services, your Panasonic will still only show standard-def images.

Collapse -
Some questions
by albizzia / August 5, 2008 5:23 AM PDT

As one of the other posters noted, VGA is analog, and HDMI is digital, so for this to work, some sort of signal translating is needed. The obvious question is: Does this cable translate VGA to HDMI, or is it HDMI to VGA? Does it do bidirectional translations? The posting was as clear as mud on that issue, I get the sneaking suspicion that it has the correct connections but doesn't translate, thus doesn't work.

The coax connection outputs a RF modulated signal, usually set to broadcast station 3 or 4, and the tuner must be set to the same channel. The RCA Video jack, on the other hand, bypasses that RF modulation and the tuner, and gives a better video signal.

A step up from that is S-Video, then component video or VGA, then DVI or HDMI. But of course your old cable box didn't have all those connections.

Good to know you found a better solution by upgrading your cable box!

Collapse -
=
by jonnybones / August 10, 2008 2:18 AM PDT

There is nothing wrong with your coax cable. You are feeding an HDTV with a standard signal. You should go back to the store where you bought it and A)Punch the salesperson who sold it to you in the face for not telling you this since it is VERY important and B) make them give you whatever deal they have going right now where you upgrade to HD programming. Usually its like $100 mail in rebate and a price break for a year. NOTE: YOU MUST APPEAR ANGRY/READY TO RETURN IT ALL EVEN IF YOU AREN'T. I would not waste your money/time with your current cable box since if you get any gain it will be small. Upgrading to an HD box will get you the picture quality you see in the stores. You will have to pay more for it per month hence my note.

If you bought you TV online disregard the first half of what I just said and punch yourself in the face for not doing your homework; resume where I start about upgrading your cable box.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.