Samsung forum

General discussion

VERY Unusual problem with my LN46A550 TV

by stevezv / March 11, 2009 10:22 AM PDT

This sound crazy, but it is absolutely true.

(My system consists of the TV (LN46A550), and a Panasonic DVD recorder, and Panasonic Home Theater in a Box. The Samsung TV is the only change to the system)

I have the on board speaker turned off on the TV so that I can use the much better sound from my Panasonic HTIB. That is how it has always been, with two previous TVs.

I have no cable. Just rabbit ears. I get all local channels without much problem, other than tweaking the antenna occasionally.

BUT I have a very strange audio problem with my TV (LN46A550).

On two channels, both major network affiliates, and only on those channels, the sound switches to an echo chamber effect under very specific circumstances.

When the broadcast goes to commercial, or switches between local and network broadcast the sound is like an echo chamber. If I momentarily click to another channel, and then back, the sound it restored to normal.

If I watch programs using the DVD recorder's tuner, this does not happen.

I called Tech Support, and was told that unless the problem was on all Channels, it was not the fault of the TV. I asked whether or not there might be a software update for my TV, and the tech said that if I updated the software I would void my TV's Warrantee!!! He was NOT helpful at all.

Anyone have a clue what might be causing this? All feedback gratefully recieved

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VERY Unusual problem with my LN46A550 TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VERY Unusual problem with my LN46A550 TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Any "surround sound" settings on your receiver?
by The_Pickle / March 11, 2009 11:45 AM PDT

Are there any surround sound settings on your receiver that are turned on? If so, try turning them off.

Also, are you using the optical out? If so, try using the RCA jacks instead. It could be that the changes in the feeds you talk about might be causing a switch from 5.1 surround to 2 channel stereo, or some other type of glitch in the audio stream on the optical out, confusing the receiver. (Something that might be interesting to try, get the TV in it's echo mode, then turn the receiver off and back on (or change sources on the receiver) and see if it fixes the issue.)

Also, make sure you don't have any "entertainment" mode set (menu, setup, entertainment), although I don't think it would have any affect on the sound when you the the internal speakers off).

Collapse -
Thanks for the response, but...
by stevezv / March 11, 2009 12:32 PM PDT

Surround is turned off. Always has been. 5:1 speaker system is enough "surround" for me.

I am using RCA to connect to the Receiver. Receiver does not have digital in. It's old! Great sound though.

I use entertainment mode "Movie". I have tried all of them, and also none. It doesn't seem to effect the echo problem.

I do not see an Echo Mode for sound on the TV. Have tried to find it by turning the TV speaker back on, but I still do not see an Echo Mode.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Any further thoughts appreciated.

Collapse -
echo chamber sound
by dspears1 / March 12, 2009 4:34 AM PDT

I have experienced a similar problem in the past and it is usually because I have inadvertently set the surround sound dolby digital to ON at the receiver. Haven't noticed it with Samsung Televisions form TVS TELEVISIONS ONLINE

Collapse -
That had not occured to me.
by stevezv / March 12, 2009 9:14 AM PDT
In reply to: echo chamber sound

I haven't looked at that setting until now. I have it set to off.

When you did have the effect, was it from over the air broadcasts? On certain channels, and not others?

It is encouraging to know others have experienced this! The Samsung tech support guy made me feel like an idiot.

Thanks for your feedback

Collapse -
Yes, left and right audio goes out of sync
by fogglerus / March 12, 2009 6:36 AM PDT

I've had this happen on a handful of ocassions, with headphones connected directly to the LN46A550 while receiving OTA broadcasts, so it has nothing to do with external equipment. The headphones made it easy to tell that the left and right audio fall out of sync resulting in that "echo" effect. It seems the only way to get back in sync is to change the channel and switch it back. Software is 1008.0.

Collapse -
A Couple of Questions for clarification
by stevezv / March 12, 2009 9:09 AM PDT

Was the echo effect only on specific channels? Or was it widespread?

When not using headphones, are you using the TV's speakers? Or Using a receiver, as I am?

And, Thanks for the response. Nice to know I am not alone in this! Happy

Collapse -
A Couple of Questions for clarification
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 12, 2009 4:20 PM PDT

stevezv,

I've read this thread this evening. Just wanted to chime in and note that updating the firmware does not void the warranty. I apologize that this message was given to you, but upgrading your television is something that we've designed for the customer to do. I regret this kind of message was conveyed, but we will stand behind the product warranty, and specifically with firmware updates.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Warrantee and updating
by stevezv / March 12, 2009 8:06 PM PDT

I was quite sure that what he said was absolute b*llsh*t, but I was not about to argue with him.

The question that remains, is how do I find out if there IS an update available for my TV? That was what I called Tech support to find out. But the tech I spoke to was clearly not going to give that information to me. Maybe he did not know the answer?!?!

If you can direct me, I would be grateful, and thanks for the feedback.

Collapse -
Warrantee and updating
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 18, 2009 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Warrantee and updating

stevezv,

Sorry for the delay.

Try this Link:
http://tinyurl.com/ct88o9

It will take you directly to the Samsung firmware site for your exact product. I would recommend downloading the instructions and then the firmwares and following it closely.

Keep me posted and let me know if I can assist further.

Collapse -
Warrantee and Updating
by stevezv / April 7, 2009 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Warrantee and updating

First, thanks for your very useful response.

Second, please forgive the delay in feedback. I have been called away on urgent family business, and have only just returned. Now I need to get a memory stick and proceed. I will definitely let you know what progress, if any, I get from the update.

I really appreciate your efforts.

Collapse -
Warrantee and Updating
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 7, 2009 1:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Warrantee and Updating

stevezv,

Happy to help.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Warrantee and Updating
by stevezv / April 8, 2009 2:27 AM PDT

Finally got the update installed last night.

The process was smooth and uneventful.

But nothing has changed. The echo sound remains.

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks
Steve

Collapse -
Warrantee and Updating
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 8, 2009 2:29 PM PDT

stevezv,

Well, it might be time to consider the "warranty" part of "warranty and updating". I'm not sure why the problem still continues, and I'm out of troubleshooting ideas.

If it's not the source, it's likely an issue with the television. Yu might call 800-SAMSUNG to schedule a repair. I wish I had something else, but I don't.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Re: A Couple of Questions for clarification
by fogglerus / March 13, 2009 6:56 AM PDT

"Was the echo effect only on specific channels? Or was it widespread?"

It has only occurred on a handful of occasions, and I only have specific recall of it occurring on the ABC affiliate, KGO, though it has occurred on other stations. On the occasions when I was paying attention, I also noted that the loss of sync occurred at the moment of transition to a commercial. I have never observed the problem with either of two DTV converter boxes I am using on older TVs.

"When not using headphones, are you using the TV's speakers? Or Using a receiver, as I am?"

Either. Depends upon which is the least annoying at the time: either the atrociously bad audio quality of the TV's built-in speakers, or the need to use a separate remote to control the receiver's volume. (Clearly audio was an afterthought when Samsung designed this model.)

Collapse -
Small world!
by stevezv / March 13, 2009 10:41 AM PDT

It is indeed a small world.

KGO being your ABC affiliate means we both live in the Bay Area.

In my case, the echo effect is on KNTV, the NBC affiliate.

(I am in SF, Duboce Triangle) You?

And I share your multiple remote woes. In my case I have 3 to juggle. I tried one of the Logitech Harmony remotes, which claim to be so simple to program. Returned it after about ten days of frustration.)

I appreciate your feedback, which seems to suggest this is indeed a very random occurrence.

Thanks

Collapse -
Sync Problem with LN46A550
by Johnkidney / April 7, 2009 6:31 AM PDT

I am having the same problem with my LN46A550. I do not have a cable box (the cable plugs directly into my TV) I am using a Philips HTS8100 sound bar. TV's sound- RCA out goes to the sound bar RCA in(sound always seems to be in sync with tv's internal speakers) If I jump back and forth between different stations it "seems" to resync the sound.(oh yeah and hold my left foot up in the air)
I dont know if this is a Sound Bar issue or the TV's problem??
I was thinking about going from the LN46A550 Digital optical out to the sound bars RCA digital in (have to use a converter) but if it wont help i dont want to spend the money?
Have you had any success in figuring out whats wrong?

Collapse -
same damn problem
by jrod667 / April 23, 2009 1:03 PM PDT

I am having the same issue with my ln40a550. i also get weird occasional clicking sounds that are not coming through the speakers, just from the tv. i am afraid that because the problems happen only occasionally, the repair guys won't be able to figure it out. have you had any luck with the warranty?

Collapse -
same damn problem
by stevezv / April 23, 2009 5:26 PM PDT
In reply to: same damn problem

I have not pursued it for the same reason. If the problem does not occur during a repair visit I am concerned that not only will it not get fixed, but that I might end up having to pay for a house call, which I very seriously can not afford.

I hope the person from Samsung is still monitoring this issue. Perhaps a pattern will finally appear to exist and something gets done.

Collapse -
same damn problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 28, 2009 4:11 PM PDT
In reply to: same damn problem

stevezv,

I am watching these threads, and looking for other occurences as well. It's not that I don't think this is an important issue, it's just that I don't know if the problem is located in one area, or that broadcaster is having an issue.

That said, if you unit is under warranty, I don't believe it is standard practice to charge the customer for a technician when a warranty is in play. So if they find nothing wrong, I believe they walk away and you're not out anything. That said, while I work with service, I can't speak for them.

But if your fear is that they might not find something and bill you for it, I don't believe that's how it works under warranty.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Sound "echos"
by Fred002 / May 1, 2009 8:29 AM PDT

It sounds as though you and I have a similar problem. I have a LN46A650 Samsung and while the sound is fine through the tv speakers and fine through my old marantz quad receiver, I run it in stereo mode with the speakers on either side of my couch to "fill in" the sound, when I run both together I also get an "echo chamber" effect. It almost sounds like I'm in a movie theatre. Muting the tv sound eliminates this effect and the stereo sounds as it should and as it did before when I had a Sharp Aquos instead of the samsung hooked up in the same arrangement. Alas, I have no solution to offer but am still trying things. Oh, it happens on all channels and dvds

Collapse -
"echo" Effect
by stevezv / May 1, 2009 9:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Sound "echos"

Fred002

Are you saying that you get the echo effect on ALL channels with the setup you describe?

That would be a first, in this thread at any rate.

Collapse -
Sound "echos"
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 3, 2009 5:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Sound "echos"

Fred002,

That's actually a delay you're experiencing.

The television speakers receive and decode a digital signal. The two speaker "outs" (RCA) on the rear of the television are transferred with an analog signal.

So what's happening here is that the digital signal is being sent the same time the analog signal is sent, except that the analog signal is delayed because it has to be converted from digital to analog.

So in essense:
Digital - to digital speakers = instant.
Digital - to analog outs = conversion process, then sent.

The television was designed to run with either/or, and the sync issues shouldn't exist, even though the echo is present. But that conversion is what is causing the external speakers to be delayed.

Hope that helps.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.