Computer Help

General discussion

very slow startup

by sprite6 / September 23, 2010 8:53 PM PDT

hello gentlemen,

I am suffering from very slow startup time on my Sony Vaio laptop, typically 86 seconds. When I 'analyse' the startup sequence (using bootvis), I find that 'Explorer' and 'Google' are loading first and take up nearly 55/60 seconds of the total startup time.

The question/help I require is to ask whether I can re-sequence the 'Explorer & Google' apps to load after the other items in the startup sequence? This would, hopefully, permit earlier use of the computer desktop, where most of my work is done, since I do not usually require Explorer/Google until later?

Thank you for any advice provided.

For information, I am using Internet Explorer 8 and Outlook Express 6.

sprite6

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: very slow startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: very slow startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not really...
by John.Wilkinson / September 23, 2010 10:28 PM PDT
In reply to: very slow startup

This forum is actually reserved for forum feedback, so your thread may be moved to a more appropriate forum. However, I'd like to address your question here in the interim:

Explorer.exe is an integral part of Windows; you should not try to delay its launch and you cannot use your computer normally until after its launch. In short, it's responsible for handling most of what you see/interact with: the desktop, taskbar, Start menu, the frames that programs appear in, etc. Leave this one alone.

Google, on the other hand, is unessential and can be delayed/disabled. A quick option is to use MSConfig (Start->run->msconfig) to disable the unnecessary startup programs/services (uncheck the boxes to disable them), then add a shortcut for the program to the Startup folder in the Start menu. However, it won't be delayed much, which is why some choose to use third-party programs that launch with Windows and launch the 'delayed' programs XX minutes after Windows loads. Regardless, never disable necessary programs/services, such as Explorer.exe, and be prepared to re-enable the programs/services if necessary.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
very slow startup
by sprite6 / September 23, 2010 10:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Not really...

Hello John,

Sincere apologies for posting on incorrect forum, don't know how this happened. Will rectify.

Anyway, thank you for your reply, I incorrectly thought that it was 'Internet Explorer' that was booting up first, of course I did not realise it was, for the lack of words' the machine Explorer - I wonder why this is taking so long then.

Will post of correct Forum, whatever that is.

Thank you again and sory,

sprite6

Collapse -
(NT) Moving this thread to the proper forum.
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 27, 2010 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: very slow startup
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.