Windows 7 forum

Very slow or not at all Web Page loads

by Fu11B0at / August 9, 2012 8:01 AM PDT

Hello friends , new to this forum so I hope I'm posting this in the correct place. First off here's my vitals,

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+, AMD64 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3070 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 210, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 174181 MB, Free - 33474 MB; D: Total - 131061 MB, Free - 59614 MB; M: Total - 238464 MB, Free - 26323 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc,
Antivirus: Avast free, Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, Superantispyware.
Wired LAN connection to cable modem.

The problem I'm having is with loading web pages regardless of which browser I use. Everything loaded fine until just recently, either they load super slow, only partially, or not at all. I have scanned with my antivirus and 3 different anti malware progs. I cleared the browser cache on IE, Chrome and Fire fox, I flushed the DNS, released and renewed ip all to no avail. I have also tried assigning new DNS servers with no luck. I have uninstalled java and reinstalled. I have checked the offending web sites on " Down For Everyone Or Just Me -> Check if your website is down or up? " and for everyone I checked it was just me. I am at my wits end please help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Very slow or not at all Web Page loads
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Very slow or not at all Web Page loads
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Spybot S&D
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2012 2:48 AM PDT

Frankly I'd just uninstall that for now. Teatimer has its issues but since you have those others, just remove Spybot S&D.

Also, try this. Create a new user account and try it there.

Collapse -
RE: Create a new user account
by Fu11B0at / August 10, 2012 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Spybot S&D

Creating a new admin profile was one of the first things I tried, sorry it was omitted from my initial post it should have been included. Thanks for the suggestion but it did not work.

Collapse -
Again. About Spybot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2012 8:10 AM PDT

It's outdated, it's Teatimer has created issues and I read you left it installed and uninstalled the ones I would have kept.

Your choice in that matter.

Collapse -
Creating new User Account
by dreamstreet1 / January 7, 2013 1:16 AM PST

Creating a new user account solved my slow web page loading problem. Do I have to delete the old account and start over or can I fix my current user account?

Collapse -
I've fixed user accounts by
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2013 4:02 AM PST

By creating the new account and if that works we move the user to the new account. After that works we remove the old account and create the account under their name and move it all back.

Seems a lot of work to fix a busted account but MSFT has yet to issue any other fix for (google this) "Corrupt Profiles."

All Answers

Collapse -
A couple of quick thoughts ..
by Carol~ Forum moderator 2 / August 10, 2012 12:08 AM PDT

Welcome to CNET..

Coming from the security end of the forums, I couldn't help but notice you have Avast installed. (I'm sure other members will weigh-in on your other 'vitals'. My eyes only fell on your security software.)

It may be a shot in the dark, but in certain instances it's been known to cause the issue you spoke of. NOT always. Try (temporarily) disabling Avast's Web Reputation plug-in to see if it makes a difference.

I'm going to presume you have the free versions of MBAM and SAS installed, which aren't running in real-time. I'm not quite sure why Spybot is necessary, but as long as you have it ... do you have Teatimer enabled.

Best of luck..

Collapse -
Thanks for the response
by Fu11B0at / August 10, 2012 2:44 AM PDT

Thanks for the response, I disabled all security in msconfig and rebooted, no change.

Collapse -
Vitals Modification
by Fu11B0at / August 10, 2012 4:40 AM PDT

Since my initial post I have uninstalled Malwarebytes, and Superantispyware and I have left Spybot S&D disabled for now. My machines original security configuration consisted of Avast free only. The only reason I installed the other security measures was to scan for any malware that might be causing the problem. Creating a new admin profile had no effect. My thanks in advance for any suggestions they are all greatly appreciated.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.