Windows 7 forum

very slow boot up/start up windows 7 asus zenbook UX32VD

by charlesr78 / February 25, 2013 9:08 PM PST

Hi everyone,

I m looking for some advice and infos about a recent problem with my zenbook UX 32 VD
I should first specify the specs: core i7 @ 1.9Ghz, 10Go RAM, dedicated GeForce GT620M, windows 7 64bit (version 6.1.7601 service pack 1 built 7601)

The problem is it takes a while to boot up....between 2min and 8min with an annoying black screen before the "windows starting up" was not the case before and it should not be the case considering that windows 7 is supposed to be installed on a SSD drive.

I tried a lot of things that people talked about on internet: downloading all the latest drivers for Norton, Nvidia graphics and so on....I also used CCcleaner in case of registry errors, I did a memory test, I defragmented eveything possible, I checked for viruses, I cleaned up the drives, I restarted the computer after removing the services programs and the startup programs (using MSCONFIG)....

And it didn't change anything, it is still freakin slow to get the welcome menu....then the laptop works pretty fine.

I should also mention that I got no response typing F2, F8, F12 or the space bar during the long black screen when starting up the machine....which is pretty annoying too.

Looking forward for some magician to help me, cheers

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: very slow boot up/start up windows 7 asus zenbook UX32VD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: very slow boot up/start up windows 7 asus zenbook UX32VD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: slow boot
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 25, 2013 9:14 PM PST

No magic, but elementary: system recovery back to factory settings. If that doesn't help, it's a hardware issue that needs repair.

Collapse -
My similar laptop is the same. HOWEVER!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2013 1:03 AM PST

Booting later is faster. HOWEVER!!! The laptop is resuming from a zero power sleep in 2 to 5 seconds.

I did encounter a person who is more than a control freak. They didn't trust the zero power sleep so they disabled that and have to live with the longer boot times.

Collapse -
same problem
by sarop099 / May 24, 2013 12:53 AM PDT

i have a same problem update bios
there are still very long delays when start

Collapse -
See above replies.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2013 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem

And tell the forum how long is long? I'm finding folk that call 20 second boot times too long.

Collapse -
Same problem as u
by sineddd / June 14, 2013 9:05 AM PDT

I have exactly the same issue since months... and sadly living with it, because I missed time to look for a solution.

Did you solve your problem? Any tip?

Collapse -
Was the issue solved?
by sp_key / November 11, 2013 7:52 PM PST

Hi Charles,

Did you manage to solve this issue?
I have exactly the same problem - 2 weeks after my guarantee.

It takes about 10 minutes to boot after having gone back to factory settings.
I suspect this is a hardware issue.

Please advise

Collapse -
If 10 minutes after factory restore.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2013 11:28 PM PST
In reply to: Was the issue solved?

Read then consider testing this drive.

HOWEVER I did encounter someone that had filled the HDD and with so little free space, it was slow and since they could not delete anything (pack rat?) they had to live with it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.