Speakeasy forum

Alert

Very nasty run in with MyStart.incredibar virus/hijacker

by Ziks511 / June 20, 2012 10:50 PM PDT

I noticed a common thread running through the forums and complaints: "I don't know where I got it, or how it got loaded onto my computer." I too am baffled. I hate browser bars and never allow extraneous stuff to load, but obviously this one functions by stealth.

Removal via about:config command typed in the browser bar (Url window) and then search for Mystart and incredibar, and via the Modify command (right click) delete each and every instance of the loathesome thing. It's working so far.

Be very careful with about:config, because misuse or careless use can void your Windows warranty. Don't delete anything you're unsure of, but if it has Mystart, or Incredibar in the right hand string you can delete without a worry.

I can't believe I successfully did this. I'm such a nebbish with computers. Hope I'm not celebrating prematurely.

Rob

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Very nasty run in with MyStart.incredibar virus/hijacker
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Very nasty run in with MyStart.incredibar virus/hijacker
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) very good
by James Denison / June 21, 2012 10:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you, James. Much appreciated. I should have downloaded
by Ziks511 / June 22, 2012 3:35 AM PDT

Malwarebytes Anti Malware 6 months ago. Neither AVG2012, nor Avast picked up the 11 nasties (5 Trojans 6 Registry entries) lurking on my system and now all gone.

Unfortunately the damage has been done, and my computer will have to go into the shop for some serious programming work. Hell, this is like my right arm. I'm on it all day. Oh well.

Rob

Collapse -
Incredimail
by annielyn / July 3, 2012 10:01 AM PDT

I, too, have this on my computer! I uninstalled Incredimail, but still have that nasty MyStart! I am on my computer many hours a day, but don't know if I can do what is suggested without screwing up my computer! None of my security programs have caught this....Norton, Malwarebytes, Super antispyware, Advanced Systems Care, Ccleaner. Don't have time to try anything right now plus I am tired''''not good to try & fix something.! Windows 7 * it appears to be only on my IE & FF browsers...not sure about Chrome!

Collapse -
I understand your position. Incredibar disabled my ability
by Ziks511 / July 3, 2012 11:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Incredimail

to receive Flash Video in Firefox, and to use my BluRay CD/DVD drive. Those I haven't been able to fix yet, but I also use Google Chrome, though I miss the Firefox Bookmarks accessibility. Unfortunately Blekko installed itself on Google Chrome, so most of the time when I start it it opens 4 browser windows, 2 Blekko, and 2 Google Chrome. I've deleted Blekko, but it is still there somewhere in my Registry, and as you say, Advanced System Care doesn't find it, nor does Avast Anti Virus which dug out another Toolbar virus very well.

The computer is destined for the shop sometime soon to get the functions I've lost to work again, and dig out the Registry entries for whatever the real name of Blekko is filed under in there. I've had this computer running Win 7 for 3 years, and until 3 months ago had no troubles whatsoever.

Part of the problem is that every piece of software now seems to come with a Toolbar attached. Java, which updated today wanted to load one, and you have to take positive action, reading the screens carefully, and being sure to un-tick the always ticked box, sometimes in very small print, asking if you want to download the Toolbar as well. If you miss it, or are busy with other things and don't respond quickly enough, you get it, and all the problems it brings with it.

I think it's extremely unethical behaviour on the part of the companies releasing the software for download or purchase on-line, or remotely updating your computer like Java does. It's certainly annoying in the extreme.

Best of luck Annie Lyn. Cnet has an Anti-virus forum which may be able to help you, but it is always a gamble when you mess with the Registry, and doing a backup now just means that it will Restore to yesterdays problems you were trying to fix. Very, very frustrating.

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.