Computer Help

General discussion

Very loud CPU fan

by beast_3 / March 30, 2007 10:28 AM PDT

The fan on my Compag Presario SR1620NX is acting like it's on steroids, racing up to top speed when ever there's ANY load on the CPU.
For the first six months or so it ran normally, then this racing business started. It's gone bck to HP/Compaq 3 times but they keep saying its OK, just replaced the fan/heatsink and restored Windows XP.
ow that warranty has expired they don't want to talk about it.
I've upgraded the power supply from a 275 watt to 475 watts and added a case fan, but it isn't making any difference.

Anyone had any similar experiences? Any solutions?

I think it's probably either a bad CPU (AMD Semperion 2800) or a bad temp sensor on the motherboard (MS-7184).

Anyone know of a test utility that can nail down the problem?
Thanks!
Bob

Compaq SR1620NX
Hardware
Base processor
Sempron 3400+ 2.0 GHz:
1600 MT/s (Mega Transfers/second)
Socket 939
Chipset
ATI Radeon XPress 200
Motherboard Manufacturer: MSI
Motherboard Name: MS-7184
HP/Compaq motherboard name: AmethystM-GL6E
Memory
Memory Installed 512 MB (2 x 256)
Speed supported PC3200 MB/sec
Type 184 pin, DDR SDRAM
DIMM slots Four

Hard drive
160 GB
7200 rpm
16x DVD(+/-)R/RW DL drive

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Very loud CPU fan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Very loud CPU fan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What you added simply increased the internal
by Ray Harinec / March 30, 2007 11:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Very loud CPU fan

temp of the system, that will ensure that the fan would never slow down.

If the system works, the last thing that this writer would suspect is the CPU. The small cases of the HP's etc simply make adequate cooling difficult.

Possibly your systems cooling paths and fans are clogged with dudt bunnies. Get inside it and clean it out.

Collapse -
Hopefully the extra capability of the Power Supply
by Ray Harinec / March 30, 2007 11:17 AM PDT

if not needed by the system will only slightly increase the power supply heat and most of that should go out via the rear fan.

Are you certain that the added fan is forcing air in a direction that assists the natural flow and is not opposing it?

I have been assuming that you were talking about the CPU's HSF.

You could kludge the fan wiring to run the 5 volt pin on one of the Molex's but then expect to lose the CPU for real.

Collapse -
re: Hopefully the extra capability of the Power Supply
by beast_3 / March 31, 2007 5:03 AM PDT

Yes, its the heat sink fan that's causing the noise. I added a case fan to suck air out of the back of the case and there's a separate fan in the power supply.
I'm considering adding an aftermarket CPU heatsink/cooler unit and probably another case fan in the front, if there are enough power connectors.

Collapse -
Tell us about how carefully you cleaned off the old
by Ray Harinec / March 30, 2007 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Very loud CPU fan

thermal paste and installed the new.

Collapse -
thermal paste
by beast_3 / March 31, 2007 4:57 AM PDT

I didn't personally replace the fan & heatsink, HP service techs did it on the last attempt to cure my problem.
Could deteroriating thermal paste lead to this?

I have been thinking of adding a larger aftermarket heatsink/cooler and larger fan set up.

I'll pull the CPU & check out how well it fits the heatsink tonight. Thanks for the idea!
Bob

Collapse -
Be aware that IT IS
by Ray Harinec / March 31, 2007 5:11 AM PDT
In reply to: thermal paste

possible that the temp controller chip on the mobo has failed. Then all of the other actions would be a waste of money.

I don't know what case size you have, but wonder if there really is a way to adequately cool things. They don't bother to mention that may be the reason that they "Can't Find any problem". They know d----d well they can have cooling problems. [10 pounds in a five pound bag].

If it werwen't for their proprietary Op Sys, I'd say buy a decent case for 50 to 60 at newegg and move the hardware into it.

I always buy the Aspire's with the top exhaust fan, if side cone replace it with a fan blowing in towards the CPU..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.