Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Very frustrating white box in top left corner of screen.

by QuankersJ / January 7, 2010 2:32 AM PST

I am trying to find some solution to this problem. This computer frequently boots up with a small white box in the top left corner of the screen. It looks like an HTML window, which cannot be moved, resized or closed. It sits on top of every other window.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about:

If anyone has any idea on how to solve this I would really appreciate the help, Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Very frustrating white box in top left corner of screen.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Very frustrating white box in top left corner of screen.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks for the reply
by QuankersJ / January 7, 2010 2:52 AM PST

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that I have already tried turning off active desktop which did not solve the issue. I ahve also tried to follow the instructions mentioned in the link below. Unfortunately it does not really apply to Windows 2000.

Collapse -
Then it's likely to be malware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2010 2:58 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the reply
Collapse -
Thanks for the help so far.
by QuankersJ / January 9, 2010 4:32 AM PST

I downloaded Malwarebytes and Hijack this. Scans with both produced no answer to the problem. I also tried Adaware which did not help.

Here is my logfile from hijackthis, if it means anything:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 3:22:06 PM, on 1/9/2010
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: Tcp ipx Service (Tcpipsrv) - Unknown owner - c:\windows\$ntunistalls\svchost.exe

End of file - 962 bytes

Collapse -
Now that's LOOPY!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2010 5:04 AM PST

O23 - Service: Tcp ipx Service (Tcpipsrv) - Unknown owner - c:\windows\$ntunistalls\svchost.exe

No known machine has every shown that. This is one sick machine.

Ok, I didn't note adaware but did note SUPERANTISPYWARE.

But the HJT log is a sign. Not a good one. If this was my machine the c:\windows\$ntunistalls\svchost.exe would be HISTORY.

Collapse -
by QuankersJ / January 13, 2010 2:33 AM PST
In reply to: Now that's LOOPY!

Thanks for the response, I will see what I can do about that, but it will be in a couple weeks as I am not at that computer until then.

Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
same problem here
by arobinsonjbc / January 5, 2011 10:58 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

have you found a solution to this?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.