Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Very different speed test results

by rundavid1 / November 16, 2006 9:59 AM PST

My internet speed has slowed considerably in the past few weeks. I have been to several speed test sites and have noticed very different results. Speakeasy reports I'm getting very good speeds (~5000 kbps) but it takes like 30 sec just to start the test. Bandwidthplace, on the other hand, reports that my download speed is only 115 kbps.

I have also noticed an interesting trend when downloading files. It takes an unusually long time to start the download, but once it gets going, the transfer speed is relatively good.

I live in an apartment complex where the internet is provided, so I really don't have any control of it beyond by computer, but I would still like to know what's going on. Does anyone know what might be causing this? And is there anything that I can do on my end to remedy the situation?
Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Very different speed test results
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Very different speed test results
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My bet is your neighbors are P2P users.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2006 10:34 AM PST

If you share the connection, P2P and gamers will whack your connection speed all over the universe.

Bob

Collapse -
I'm not so sure...
by rundavid1 / November 16, 2006 10:20 PM PST

The problem is that it has been consistently like that. It doesn't jump around. Its always good at speakeasy and slow at bandwidthplace. I think it has more to do with the type of test they use at those places. And I think it has to do with the connection problem I am having. I could be wrong though. Thanks for the comments.

Collapse -
Same issue here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2006 10:34 PM PST
In reply to: I'm not so sure...

Good speed to Texas, terrible to Australia.

Tell me if you figure out how to fix that.

Bob

Collapse -
Same issue here
by jaybme82 / December 5, 2006 8:59 PM PST
In reply to: Same issue here.

Maybe the time of day - busy and slack periods and which routes the signal takes.

Collapse -
Different speeds
by byker49 / November 17, 2006 12:46 AM PST

I just tested my connection at the sites you mentioned:

Speakeasy DN 9.8 MBPS UP 1 MBPS

Bandwidth Place Dn 4.8 MBPS

Quite different speed and I don't share with my neighbors.

I have a 10 MBPS download speed per my isp (insightbb)

Collapse -
bottom line
by rundavid1 / November 18, 2006 12:50 PM PST
In reply to: Different speeds

I guess the bottom line is why am I getting good speed test results, but web pages load like I have a 56k connection (or not at all).

By the way, practically everyone left the apartment complex for Thanksgiving break and it didn't help much at all.

I do acknowledge that the location of the testing server makes a big difference in the speed results.

Thanks

Collapse -
More clues would be needed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2006 1:05 PM PST
In reply to: bottom line

Today we encounter a lot of pests, outdated drivers and broken hardware. To test the machine I take the laptop to a hot spot.

For pests I use the tools I've noted in many other posts.

Bob

Collapse -
Not to brag about my speed or anything
by hawker505 / May 20, 2009 10:09 AM PDT

Not to brag or anything but I think I found a better test?. The above test gives basic speed information but no real info you quality or capability of your connection. My favorite Broadband Speed Test site is http://www.ispgeeks.com.

Click on Broadband Diagnostics then TCP Quality Test and the rest is simple. They also have a true speed test, voip test and a couple of other things.

You get data back like this (testing my connection)

Speed test statistics
???????
Download speed: 7437424 bps
Upload speed: 1646448 bps
Download quality of service: 97 %
Upload quality of service: 95 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 76 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 60 ms
Average round trip time to server: 61 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 35200000bps
Route concurrency: 4.7328215
Download TCP forced idle: 77 %
Maximum route speed: 8738000bps

Plus it even gives you graphical data such as this (based on the test above).

http://174.34.146.20/myspeed/db/report?id=1986

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.